Was Bercow out of order and should he be replaced?

Was Bercow out of order and should he be replaced?

• Yes.

Votes: 309 79.4%
  • No.

Votes: 50 12.9%
  • Not fussed either way.

Votes: 30 7.7%

• Total voters

Tyk

LE
Bercow joining the Labour Party is not going to do his reputation or theirs any good at all. It does look like a cynical attempt to secure the peerage he feels entitled to.

Odious little jerk that bloke and I have no time for him after the blatant bias he applied to a post that needs to be rigorously neutral and seen to be so.

Well I would
I was involved in Conservative student politics between 1989 and 1992. Sally is my age, gave or take a few weeks, and had dropped out of university before I started as I had a year off. However she was still a bit of a hanger on, still going to national events, etc.

At the time when her name was mentioned the usual question wasn't "who has?" but "who hasn't?"

Bercow should have been given a peerage. It was a petty move to snub him and showed the government up as a big fan of cronyism.

The message is that if the speaker of the house acts independently, incidentally as he or she actually should do, and the government doesn’t like it, the government will penalise the speaker by denying him or her, the established convention of elevating them to the House of Lords.

That‘s a signal that the government think Parliament shouldn’t intervene in the business of the executive when that role is in fact precisely what Parliament should be doing!

That’s democracy and something that we all should be signing up for regardless of who we support and vote for in elections.

Horseshit! He's shown himself to be a petty, spiteful ********. All he deserves is to spend the rest of his life being mocked for being the failure he is, and with no trace of decency, all he will ever be.

I read yesterday that Bercow’s successor, Sir Lindsay Hoyle is also the Honoury Colonel of 3 Medical Regiment and a huge supporter of the Armed Forces. Even more respect for the man now - unlike the slug Bercow.

Tyk

LE
I read yesterday that Bercow’s successor, Sir Lindsay Hoyle is also the Honoury Colonel of 3 Medical Regiment and a huge supporter of the Armed Forces. Even more respect for the man now - unlike the slug Bercow.

Hoyle, on performance up to now, is doing fine. He and his deputies aren't displaying any bias that I have noticed so he's doing a fair bit to repair the reputation of the Speaker that Bercow spoiled.

Bercow burned his bridges with the Tories so it makes sense he has jumped ship. I am surprised that he did not go LibDem.

If Labour are going to be the party of "rejoin/remain" then they are going to lose a lot of brexit left wingers, and possibly the next election.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Hoyle, on performance up to now, is doing fine. He and his deputies aren't displaying any bias that I have noticed so he's doing a fair bit to repair the reputation of the Speaker that Bercow spoiled.
Certainly far better than his predecessor (low bar, but still worth saying). He's standing up to the Government for the rights of Parliament, and whilst I'm a supporter of the PM in general, I believe Hoyle is doing what he's supposed to.

Tyk

LE
Certainly far better than his predecessor (low bar, but still worth saying). He's standing up to the Government for the rights of Parliament, and whilst I'm a supporter of the PM in general, I believe Hoyle is doing what he's supposed to.

Indeed, as I understand it that's precisely the Speaker's role. Making Parliament work and doing so without bias.

Betty Boothroyd (also from the Labour side like Hoyle) did a great job as Speaker, I'd suggest Hoyle may be trying to take a leaf out of her redoubtable book which is a good thing on every level.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Explains why I've seen him wearing an RAMC tie (likewise Jonathan Van Tam) which looks exactly like a Light Dragoons tie.

RTU'd

LE
Blimey. Really?!
1624381489260.png

Just after her night of passion with @don't tell him pike she was bow legged for 24 hours.

1624381580460.png

For Arrse Page 3

1624381618283.png

Finding out arrse think she is a shagger slapper

Latest Threads