Was Bercow out of order and should he be replaced?

Was Bercow out of order and should he be replaced?

• Yes.

Votes: 258 77.7%
  • No.

Votes: 42 12.7%
  • Not fussed either way.

Votes: 32 9.6%

• Total voters
I know this issue has been discussed in the Trump thread, but I personally believe it merits a thread of its own (happy to be shot down if that is not the case).
In my own opinion, I believe as the supposedly impartial speaker of the House, he over stepped the mark last night and should be replaced if the process allows it. He has previous form for adopting a 'holier than thou' position, but he really should have stayed out of the current sh*t storm over the Trump visit. The scenes last evening, when he actually received applause from the opposition benches was cringe worthy - isn't Parliament meant to be above that sort of behaviour?
I know he is a marmite character, but there always seems to be chatter about him facing a challenge from the Tories, the majority of whom detest him with a passion. Despite this, he was unchallenged at the last General Election and would seem to have the job up until at least the next GE should he wish to do so. Why? Is it a sympathy vote because of his horrendous missus?
I'll be clear, this is not a pro Trump post, rather a concern about the behaviour of the current incumbent of the Speakers Office.
Hoof him out in my opinion.

Last edited:
The only way to influence Trump is to bring him into situations where he is exposed to the reasoning of others (apparently, in business he is a listener) - in that way his behaviour can be modified and possibly his understanding too.

The poll may have just said 'are you a fan of trump; Y or N', as, like the rest, that is what this will descend into.
Accepted, but I tried to make it about our own Parliamentary process, hence taking it out of the Trump thread.

Bercow and his missus could happily disappear into obscurity and I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

He was right about this though. A broken clock is right sometimes.

The poll is worded poorly I think. Tying this decision into his overall performance makes little sense.

The PM needs to be kept in check. With a useless opposition that is incapable of making any cogent statements I think Brecon was left with no choice. He also kept in lane and within his lateral limit.

Last edited:
The poll is worded poorly I think. Tying this decision into his overall performance makes little sense.
With hindsight you're right, but not sure how to amend the wording!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
All these people jumping on the anti Trump Bandwagon is getting a bit tedious now.
How the hell you can criticise Trump for what is after all a very good way of improving home security especially after what has happened in Europe is just laughable.
The list of countries does not include Pakistan, why? Because they supply the information the States want. If these other countries did what the US request then there wouldn't be a list.
Bercow, is an expense grabbing hypocrite of a Speaker who has warmly welcomed other leaders in recent times to the House whose records on Human Rights leave a lot to be desired.
The Speakers position is to keep the House in order and to remain neutral.
If we are to make a success of Brexit we need this man Trump on our side, we don't want to alienate the biggest economy in the world.

Last edited:
Bercow and his missus could happily disappear into obscurity and I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

He was right about this though. A broken clock is right sometimes.
At least twice a day. I was under the assumption that the Speaker had to maintain a political neutral stance and rule on points of protocol, order etc. Although I'm a Trump fan I don't think he should necessarily have the right to address the UK parliament. That should be left to very few and not every foreign johnnie who tips up at Heathrow. In this case the Toad Bercow could be right although he worded it poorly.

I can agree with his comments, and he has a right to voice these, but not censor the debate in the way he has. However, I disagree with the kneecapping of the government position, and also with the hypocrisy of those who we pick and choose can speak.

Bercow is a self indulgent, odious little man, mischievously put into a position of power by, a Labour government!

He has neither the wit, or gravitas to pull it off, he is also a massive hypocrite considering some of the despots he has fawned over in Westminster Hall, he uses this position for his own aggrandisement, rather than as the arbiter of the House of Commons.

It was telling yesterday that only the Opposition benches clapped and, he did not chastise them for it.

Vain doesn't come close, he obviously has a dick problem too as, his wife looked elsewhere.

I haven't voted in the poll, as I agree he was correct in what he said, yet I do not think he is an excellent speaker.

He opined his view as is his right (as an elected MP and Speaker of the House of Commons), that he was opposed to Trump speaking in Westminster Hall. He also has the power to veto it along with the Speaker of the House of Lords, and the Lord High Chamberlain.
He did also say he doesn't have much of a say in what happens in the Royal Gallery. Although "customarily" the invitation to speak is in the name of the two speakers, which he would not want to issue. So theoretically Trump could still speak in the Royal Gallery.

Clarification for anyone wondering if I support Trump. No, I do not like Trump. But I have no say in what chimp septics vote in to office. It's enough of a headache dealing with our P.G.tips twats.

Clarification for anyone wondering if I support Trump. No, I do not like Trump. But I have no say in what chimp septics vote in to office. It's enough of a headache dealing with our P.G.tips twats.[/QUOTE]
OUTRAGEOUS!!

You could have left out all after 'and' with options 'a' and 'b'- makes it too judgmental, which is why I abstained.

As I see it the Speaker is supposed to be politically neutral and was out of order (see what I did there!) in this case.

Too much grief-whoring over Trump at the moment. Like it or not he's there for 4 years and people need to get over it (and No- I am not a Trump fan but there's no point frothing over it- it's happened now).

The anti-Trump bandwagon is rife with hypocrisy and self indulgence. British people marching and protesting against the democratically elected head of a sovereign nation is more than a bit embarrassing - don't see these outpourings of anger towards places like Burma, North Korea etc. - places where executions and despotic governments are the norm. Comparisons to the rise of Hitler and the Third Reich are also way off mark and belittle the mass suffering endured by millions during those times. You cannot compare someone to a Nazi just because they do not agree with your viewpoint - save it for if Trump is herding people into the gas chambers.

As for Bercow, nothing less than self indulgent grandstanding - the opportunity to get some media time. He appears to have dismounted his moral high horse when sycophantically waxing lyrical to Middle Eastern Emirs, or hosting the North Korean speaker for tea. He has undermined the great office which he holds, the latest in a long litany of misjudgments and it is time for him to go.

Latest Threads