Was al-Qaida behind the July 7 an 21 atrocities?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by whitecity, Jan 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. New terror intelligence gap claims

MI5 has admitted there are "significant gaps" in its knowledge about the London terror attacks, according to an intelligence report leaked to a newspaper. Intelligence chiefs have conceded they know little about the planning of the attack or whether al Qaeda was involved.

In a report for Tony Blair and senior ministers - leaked to The Sunday Times - MI5 says: "We know little about what three of the bombers did in Pakistan, when attack planning began, how and when the attackers were recruited, the extent of any external direction or assistance and the extent and role of any wider network."

The report by the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC), says MI5 still does not know if al Qaeda was behind the July 7 and July 21 atrocities. The report says there is still no intelligence to link the two plots.

It adds: "Whilst investigations are progressing, there remain significant gaps in our knowledge." The report was delivered in October. But sources have reportedly said the situation has changed little since then.

Downing Street declined to comment on the report.

from: http://www.channel4.com/news/content/news-storypage.jsp?id=291832
  2. try stop listening to box 500 and enjoy the spring
  3. The key difference between AQ and terrorism we've faced in the past (eg PIRA) is that AQ is more a state of mind than an organisation with a fixed hierarchy, structure and chain of command. I could blow something up tomorrow, issue a statement and bingo, I'm AQ. Maybe then I'll talk to someone who knows someone and get some more funding, try for something bigger but I did not need to join up, get a membership number and receive taskings from my superiors to get started. That's the problem, and it's why we need more HUMINT, linguists and so on to understand what's going on. Traditional tools such as IMINT, SIGINT etc are fairly useless unless you know where to look or who to listen to.
  4. That accords with my own analysis and what I've been saying for more than the last couple of years. Until, those that 'pull-the-strings' come around to this thinking, our 'fight' against 'terrorism' is doomed to failure. A man and a bullet cannot defeat an ideology or a state of mind. Indeed our efforts: man and bullet, aircraft and PGM; appear to have entrenched and hastened the spread of this ideology rather than reducing or defeating it. Our energies need to be directed away from violent means and channelled into areas more likely to divert or deter those who are thinking of embracing this ideology.