'Warts and all' school inspection

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Feb 10, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3473843.stm

2. Under the terms of the 1996 Education Act, a child has to be educated in accordance with his/her "age, aptitude and ability" either "in school or otherwise". If this were used as the criteria for schools' inspection, most would fail.

Even in schools where there is a stable staff of excellent, committed teachers the criteria of the Act cannot be met because of the "one size fits all" National Curriculum which leaves even the most dedicated teachers hamstrung.

Until the establishment realises that children are individuals and not numbers schools are not going to be able to fully educate (from the Latin "to lead out") our children.

It's far easier to give a 5 or 6 year old boy Ritalin than it is to keep him fully stimulated and a rigid curriculum of mind-numbing tedium, coupled with a total lack of discipline within schools, is a major ingredient in the recipe for social disaster we're now witnessing.

The Nanny State, by taking over so many elements or our lives and disempowering us, has led to a generation of parents which feels it has no responsibility for the morals, discipline, education and, sometimes, even welfare of its children. Until such time as parents take responsibility for their offspring and don't expect every aspect of their children's future to be the responsibility of governmental organisations there is unlikely to be any improvement in the situation.

Inspecting the icing more frequently makes no difference when the cake itself is rotten.
  3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

An excellent post, Firehorse.

Recently one of my boys was selected by his school to apply for the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth - only two were nominated from his school. The application pack was forwarded, and we were advised to contact the teacher who had been appointed as the school's co-ordinator. Her initial statement was that she knew very little about it, so we should just follow the guidelines in the pack. The guidelines require a letter of recommendation from a teacher, but none was forthcoming and written requests were ignored. Back to the co-ordinator, to be told, in a very patronising letter, that 'assisting applications to other educational bodies is no longer part of teachers' responsibilities'. This is apparently the result of the government's 'Work Life Balance policy' for teachers who are overstretched, though I have yet to see groups of bearded men in corduroy jackets and fat women in floral skirts stagging on in Iraq, Bosnia, Kosovo and NI. So, we can add this to all the other responsibilities teachers have shed in recent years.

One of the things that particularly grips my shit with the school is that most of the teachers are incapable of writing a letter properly anyway.

Whatever happened to the Beloved Leader's (may he live a thousand years) 'Education, Education. Education'.
  4. It has also led to that same generation of parents refusing to take responsibility for their own actions (never mind their childrens).
    The 'anything goes as long as I don't affect anyone else' attitude. The trouble is we all affect each other by our actions and the selfish 'me me me' mindset is now turning around and biting us on the arrse as a country.
    If we as parents have low morals, little self discipline and a selfish anti social aproach to life what chance does the next generation have of knowing how to behave?
    In many cases up to 25% of any class has special educational needs. Spend even a few minutes in many primary school classrooms and you will observe a scene of general mental disturbance and anti social behaviour.Teachers spend so much time on discipline issues that they are hard pressed to get through the lesson plans.
    Goverment and local authorities are increasingly removing our rights and resonsibilities and power from us. Apathy reigns and protest and activism are disregarded and viewed with suspicion, alongside the dumbing down of National Television and Media (Now Robert Kilroy Silk has been dealt with will they really reintroduce a new daily programme where ordinary British people speak their minds on a range of issues completely freely and without censure?)
    Before we judge young people we should take a long hard look at ourselves and ask if we are grounding our kids in strong moral and spiritual values, self discipline, a commitment to education, respect for those in our community and the wider world, integrity, loyalty etc etc
    If children are not observing these traits in our own generations how can we expect them to know how to live?