Warships to be equipped with 3D printers in the future?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by northern-matelot, May 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bearing in mind that 3D printing involves CAD skills and that the finished products at this time are not structurally consistent due to the way an item is made and the materials it is made from, how feasible do you think this would be? Rather than ships having magazines full of explosive 4.5 rounds, we create the rounds from plastic as and when we need them.

Naval Aircraft Carriers Could Become Floating 3D Printing Factories | Gizmodo UK

2. 3D printers are already being trialled for all sorts of stuff on readiness for sea-trials. I don't think we'll see the end product heading down the range but rather for emergency replacements and the such like.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

3. There I was thinking it was for replacing lost or stolen iPods.

• Like Like x 3
  4. The explosive and propellant is safely stored within those heavy metal rounds, which are metal for a reason. Where would you store it otherwise, or do you think you can print RDX and cordite now.

Oh don't drop those printer cartridges, they might ******* go off!

Leave the brasso for the big boys!

5. Now, this 3D printing technology is the bees knees but aren't some people reading a little bit too much into it? What next, print me out a new carrier and a few planes to go on it? It's a printer, not the alchemist's stone and, no, it won't change the material it is printing into some type of high explosive.

6. No, I see no ships on the horizon. I do, however see the nuts and bolts needed to keep them going until they get home or to a place of re-supply.

7. Who says the round has to contain explosive? Surely there are other ways of propelling objects at a high velocity without needing it to go bang?

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

8. Indeed. If a cloth used to clean the heads somehow finds its way into the galley you get a lot of high velocity propulsion that goes splash rather than bang. As I found out.

3-D printers sound marvellous. Think of all the things you could print whenever you need them:-

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

For you youngsters, the device at the end is a reusable condom. With a 3D printer you could have one each instead of one per mess as in my day.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Quite. It'll still need feedstock in the form of raw materials - the right materials. I'll go further - it's a printer, not a teleporter.

3-D printing is still going to need manufacturing facilities of some description. Where it'll perhaps come into its own is in the shipping of intellectual property, not manufactured goods.

The Chinese* must be shitting themselves.

*Other low-wage economies are available.

10. Wow think of it, all the butplugs they could ever want.

11. Don't be ridiculous. No 3D printer could ever make a butt plug that's up to the standards of the Senior Service.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. Surely the whole point of having a 3D printer on board is to make the things that you don't know you're going to need, rather than the things that you know you will.

So I'd imagine that it's for replacing non-consumables that break, rather than making things that you know that you're going to get through during the deployment.

13. What do you do when the printer becomes defective?

14. Couldn't you ask base to send anything you needed via 3D fax?

15. If you were at sea for 2 months can you really see the 3D printers been used to make shells???? They will be used to make anatomically correct Jennifer Anistons!