Warships due to move Navy base

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Apr 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7999831.stm
  2. Shows what our Navy's become when the entire fleet can fit into one harbour. Google maps shows how large (or not) it really is.

Security-wise, is it a good idea to have all our eggs in the same basket? There's a fairly narrow strait between the harbour and the open sea; if that were to become blocked the Andrew would be stuck.
  3. Nothing like putting all of your eggs in one basket I suppose.
    Presumably for no other purpose than to "save" a few quid
  4. Agreed.

But the way things are going for the Defence Budget and the Royal Navy in particular, they should soon be able to moor all their ships in Ryde Harbour anyway! :D

6. No it isn't a good idea security wise. It puts two fingers up to history. And isn't this a great time to be putting people out of work and losing more of our technological/skill base.

But is this being leaked so that the real plans seem not as bad? Am I being cynical?
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Pearl Harbour with one crucial difference - unlike the septics, we'd lose our entire fleet in one fell swoop.

I've got a great idea - why don't we put ALL our troops in one barracks, ALL our aircaft in one base and all our navy in one port.

It'd only take 3 bombs and 100 blokes with pitchforks to invade the country then.
  8. At least Guzz will keep the amphibious ships, some boats and FOST, so Devonport will be safe for a while yet.

It'll be a major pain for all those serving in Guzz ships, and living in the South West. Major upheaval for them and their families. It also reduces the Navy's footprint in what is still an important recruiting area.
  9. Come on, this is a Govt sponsered scheme, they have no idea of history, they probably think Pearl Harbour has something to do with jewelery and that the Zeebruge raid is some sort of booze cruise.
  10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm interested to see that there is over capacity in the Grey Funnel Line, or any other part of the Armed Forces. The only thing 'over' as far as I can tell is over claiming by Labour MPs.

ZaNU Labour rams another nail in the coffin of anything decent in the UK.
  11. There is over capacity in terms of basing space - we've got 3 bases, and enough ships for 2 - the problem is that we can't shut a base. We're paying a fortune in maintenance costs to run facilities that could be shut if the Govt had a political spine.
    We could then spend the money on ships and not cranes!
  12. The reason there is "over-capacity" is because the navy only have two mirror dinghies and a canoe left and they could be kept on Derwent reservoir and deployed by landrover.
  13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Whatb we actually have is under capacity of Naval platforms. Amazing how you can spin cutting back on the Armed forces into 'over capacity'.
  14. An example of joined-up Government thinking:

Rationalise and streamline the way the Navy operates by centralising as many ships as possible in Portsmouth. At the same time, move the Royal Naval School of Marine Engineering (HMS Sultan) from Gosport to...err...South West Wales. :roll:
  15. "Left hand down a bit".