Warships due to move Navy base

#1
The Royal Navy dockyard at Plymouth is to have all of its frigate warships transferred to Portsmouth, Ministry of Defence sources have told the BBC.

Portsmouth is set to become the home of almost all the Navy's warships.

Portsmouth had been expected to lose out to Plymouth as part of an MoD review to cut over-capacity and costs.

An MoD source said it "makes sense" to have all the Navy's frigates and destroyers in Portsmouth, as the city was home to the fleet headquarters.

The review, which began in 2006, looked at the three UK Navy bases in Plymouth, Portsmouth and Faslane.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7999831.stm
 
#2
Shows what our Navy's become when the entire fleet can fit into one harbour. Google maps shows how large (or not) it really is.

Security-wise, is it a good idea to have all our eggs in the same basket? There's a fairly narrow strait between the harbour and the open sea; if that were to become blocked the Andrew would be stuck.
 
#4
Bravo_Zulu said:
Shows what our Navy's become when the entire fleet can fit into one harbour. Google maps shows how large (or not) it really is.

Security-wise, is it a good idea to have all our eggs in the same basket? There's a fairly narrow strait between the harbour and the open sea; if that were to become blocked the Andrew would be stuck.
Agreed.

But the way things are going for the Defence Budget and the Royal Navy in particular, they should soon be able to moor all their ships in Ryde Harbour anyway! :D

Litotes
 
#5
PartTimePongo said:
An MoD source said it "makes sense" to have all the Navy's frigates and destroyers in Portsmouth, as the city was home to the fleet headquarters.
How is that relevant - do they shout out of the window to deploy ships these days?
 
#6
No it isn't a good idea security wise. It puts two fingers up to history. And isn't this a great time to be putting people out of work and losing more of our technological/skill base.

But is this being leaked so that the real plans seem not as bad? Am I being cynical?
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#7
Pearl Harbour with one crucial difference - unlike the septics, we'd lose our entire fleet in one fell swoop.

I've got a great idea - why don't we put ALL our troops in one barracks, ALL our aircaft in one base and all our navy in one port.

It'd only take 3 bombs and 100 blokes with pitchforks to invade the country then.
 
#8
At least Guzz will keep the amphibious ships, some boats and FOST, so Devonport will be safe for a while yet.

It'll be a major pain for all those serving in Guzz ships, and living in the South West. Major upheaval for them and their families. It also reduces the Navy's footprint in what is still an important recruiting area.
 
#9
Come on, this is a Govt sponsered scheme, they have no idea of history, they probably think Pearl Harbour has something to do with jewelery and that the Zeebruge raid is some sort of booze cruise.
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#10
PartTimePongo said:
The Royal Navy dockyard at Plymouth is to have all of its frigate warships transferred to Portsmouth, Ministry of Defence sources have told the BBC.

Portsmouth is set to become the home of almost all the Navy's warships.

Portsmouth had been expected to lose out to Plymouth as part of an MoD review to cut over-capacity and costs.

An MoD source said it "makes sense" to have all the Navy's frigates and destroyers in Portsmouth, as the city was home to the fleet headquarters.

The review, which began in 2006, looked at the three UK Navy bases in Plymouth, Portsmouth and Faslane.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7999831.stm
I'm interested to see that there is over capacity in the Grey Funnel Line, or any other part of the Armed Forces. The only thing 'over' as far as I can tell is over claiming by Labour MPs.

ZaNU Labour rams another nail in the coffin of anything decent in the UK.
 
#11
There is over capacity in terms of basing space - we've got 3 bases, and enough ships for 2 - the problem is that we can't shut a base. We're paying a fortune in maintenance costs to run facilities that could be shut if the Govt had a political spine.
We could then spend the money on ships and not cranes!
 
#12
The reason there is "over-capacity" is because the navy only have two mirror dinghies and a canoe left and they could be kept on Derwent reservoir and deployed by landrover.
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#13
Whatb we actually have is under capacity of Naval platforms. Amazing how you can spin cutting back on the Armed forces into 'over capacity'.
 
#14
An example of joined-up Government thinking:

Rationalise and streamline the way the Navy operates by centralising as many ships as possible in Portsmouth. At the same time, move the Royal Naval School of Marine Engineering (HMS Sultan) from Gosport to...err...South West Wales. :roll:
 
#15
"Left hand down a bit".
 
#16
"Left hand down a bit, number 1".
 
#17
Ninja_Turtle said:
PartTimePongo said:
An MoD source said it "makes sense" to have all the Navy's frigates and destroyers in Portsmouth, as the city was home to the fleet headquarters.
How is that relevant - do they shout out of the window to deploy ships these days?
No but CinC Navy Command might want to captain his one remaining vessel from time to time.
 
#18
Lots of concern expressed on Rum Ration here.

It's not a case of not having enough ships and one having to go. It's a huge cost-cutting exercise that has manifested itself out of the Dreadnought fiasco - namely playing one unfortunate naval dockyard off against another in a muskets-at-dawn shootout. The mere fact that Naval HQ has migrated to Portsmouth waterfront kinda gives you a clue as to who the winners were going to be - despite all the grey clouds and 'you must cut back more' threats to Pompey. I feel sorry for both parties - for Guzz, because it sees the end of a great Naval tradition and sound strategic placement and for Pompey because they hardly have the manpower these days to FTSP and RP their own clutch of disasters, let alone any more. Like I say, to stave off this (because lets face it, any cash saved to alleviate Gordon Brown's financial incompetence won't be redirected to Pompey) you'll see loads of T23s and T22s rafted up in 3 basin with FSL staff providing fire watch. Meanwhile it will be back-to-back deployments for the remainder and STOROBs aplenty from these 'ER' hulks.

From someone who knows more than me.
 
#19
'Stalin' Brown knows he is on the way out, so this in another example of their 'burned earth' policy - leave the country totally destroyed.

Those that fondly imagine this gang were any better from 1997 to 'Stalin's' anointment - be disabused, be seriously disabused. In the 'evil reign' of Campbell and Bliar, nothing, nothing at all, was anything but smoke, mirrors, toothy grins and quivering lower lips and SPIN.

The worst - the worst ever - the worst imaginable. The worst what?

[align=center]GOVERNMENT IN OUR HISTORY.[/align]

This gang make Pol Pot; Kim Jong-Il and Mugabe look reasonabe and maybe trust-worthy.

PS: At present 'Guz' and 'Pompey' have four MPs between them -

3 Liarbour and 1 Liberal.

Post 2010 General Election?
 
#20
Smoke and mirrors? As I said, I think/hope this might be the New Labour tactic of leaking an apocalyptic scenario so when the real one gets announced it doesn't seem so bad.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top