Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Warship,Life At Sea (HMS Duncan)

You queen and country types are odd and out of touch with reality, trust me the person on the street does not care if we have a destroyer off the coast of Russia or a carrier in the Atlantic, but they do care about a cyber attack which is a real reality, as opposed the russians marching up the high streets of England..

And your suggestion that we need to put defence above the NHS and the welfare state is almost laughable, the Russians are not coming here at least not in person, if we have to make ahrd decisions about defence it should be ploughing money into cyber warfare instead of boys toys that are never going to be used against anyone white or likely to fight back and sink them.

And Krom it seems a bit odd that you get a new handle but leave your original name at the bottom. none of us are going to forget your threats of killing yourself on a train track ,,,,,when you knew that there was a train strike that day.

Hooray! More rampant stupidity masquerading as a post! Haven’t you got leaves to brush up or something, instead of polluting the thread with unrivalled ignorance?

I imagine that Duncan was blurred out cos his best friends next door neighbour once spoke to someone who had contemplated owning a slave in Jamaica or something like that.

On another point, in last nights prog, the ship warns off the Russian helicopter, telling it keep outside of two miles for its own safety. A minute or two later the narrator tells us that the helicopter has closed to half a mile. Was the helicopter in any danger whatsoever? Why tell them to stay two miles away if not? Genuine question.

Last question, how long would Capt stack want to stay on Duncan, if she is an ambitious woman. Would she be looking to move to another vessel to round out her CV, or would career progression mean that she has to move to a desk job next.

...On another point, in last nights prog, the ship warns off the Russian helicopter, telling it keep outside of two miles for its own safety. A minute or two later the narrator tells us that the helicopter has closed to half a mile. Was the helicopter in any danger whatsoever? Why tell them to stay two miles away if not? Genuine question...

There was potential danger on 2 levels.

Firstly, the crew would have been exposed to greater levels radiation and secondly such emissions can potentially interfere with flight controls and avionics. For instance, a Luftwaffe Tornado was lost in the early 80s when it flew too close to a high power transmitter tower of some sort (fear of a repeat resulted in the loss of an RAF GR1 some years later under slightly unusual circumstances...but that's another story!).

Likewise, our E-3Ds have specific 'bubbles' for both the radar and JTIDS within which aircraft should not enter. When these bubbles look like they're about to be encroached (for instance when intercepted by a foreign QRA jet), we transmit a warning on Guard similar to Daring's crew. If they then choose to ignore it, that's their call!

Personally however, while my wife and I have no plans for further offspring, I'd not want to get too close to a BFO radar like that being toted by a T45!

...Last question, how long would Capt stack want to stay on Duncan, if she is an ambitious woman. Would she be looking to move to another vessel to round out her CV, or would career progression mean that she has to move to a desk job next.

I defer to my Senior Service brethren but I assume she'll do a full tour of 2-3 years in command. Anything less and she'd possibly be disadvantaged on promotion boards as having not been 'proven' in command.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
[

I imagine that Duncan was blurred out cos his best friends next door neighbour once spoke to someone who had contemplated owning a slave in Jamaica or something like that.

On another point, in last nights prog, the ship warns off the Russian helicopter, telling it keep outside of two miles for its own safety. A minute or two later the narrator tells us that the helicopter has closed to half a mile. Was the helicopter in any danger whatsoever? Why tell them to stay two miles away if not? Genuine question.

Last question, how long would Capt stack want to stay on Duncan, if she is an ambitious woman. Would she be looking to move to another vessel to round out her CV, or would career progression mean that she has to move to a desk job next.

Answer is highlighted in red sir.

But thats what they are doing floating around in their armed dingy off the coast of Crimea and frankly no its not important, it matters not a jot whether they are there or not, i mean do you think that Russia would never have gone into crimea if the RN was floating around off the coast?

Fact is they are actually playing with fire,if they encroached into Russian waters by accident we would see a re run of Arthur and Faye except with about two hundred people, and remember other countries were hardly bending over backwards to to help us then in fact i got the impression that some nations actually enjoyed our embarrassing predicament , its fair to say should it happen off crimea they'd be f ucked. If you think that the world would charge straight into a potential world war for us you must be daft.

Intimidation is a dangerous game to play, especially when one side knows the reaction of the other.

Last edited:
There was potential danger on 2 levels.

Firstly, the crew would have been exposed to greater levels radiation and secondly such emissions can potentially interfere with flight controls and avionics. For instance, a Luftwaffe Tornado was lost in the early 80s when it flew too close to a high power transmitter tower of some sort (fear of a repeat resulted in the loss of an RAF GR1 some years later under slightly unusual circumstances...but that's another story!).

Likewise, when our E-3Ds have specific 'bubbles' for both the radar and JTIDS within which aircraft should not enter. When they do (for instance when intercepted by a foreign QRA jet), we transmit a warning on guard similar to Daring's crew. If they then choose to ignore it, that's their call!

Personally, while my wife and I have no plans for further offspring, I'd not want to get too close to a BFO radar like that being toted by Daring!

I defer to my Senior Service brethren but I assume she'll do a full tour of 2-3 years in command. Anything less and she'd possibly be disadvantaged on promotion boards as having not been 'proven' in command.

Regards,
MM
DELETE: Daring.
INSERT: Duncan.