Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Warship,Life At Sea (HMS Duncan)

If you don't think a big fluffy beard interferes with the effectiveness of a respirator then either you have never been in the army, or YOU are stupid.
Gosh, really. We must have not figured that one out with annual ressie testing, firefighting and divers.

But above all , what was she doing? It's perfectly clear the vessel was under strict orders not to upset the Russians, or heaven forbid, the Americans, and should anything happen contact the politicians in London for immediate expert guidance.
Following orders? There appears to have been a senior office present.

Their are beards, and then there are beards...

There certainly are.
wide__1300x731.cf.jpg

Therefore, at an appropriate point during increasing tension, deployment to an operational zone or TTW, the order is given to shave. It’s not exactly rocket science.

Or do you walk around 24/7 with operational GSR, canisters, NBC suits, combopens and NAP tablets readily to hand? I rather suspect that the large-scale issue of those would take longer than the time spent for a Sikh to shave.

Indeed, the Army would probably then have a policy debate on whether sleeves could be worn up or down on said protective clothing. ;)

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
Therefore, at an appropriate point during increasing tension, deployment to an operational zone or TTW, the order is given to shave. It’s not exactly rocket science.

You mean... use actual common sense?... It'll never catch on...

With the Draeger gear we used to use for HAZMAT clean ups, you either did or didn't pass the low pressure test when prepping the suit. Go shave it off and you go on the next team in.... Oh the good old days of working with stuff that started to kill you at 20 ppB

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail....... realism about the threats is the first preparatory step...

I couldn't agree more.

There is a common assumption that anything Russian is inferior to Western equivalents. Sadly, that's no longer the case.

We also have a disturbing habit to look at their capabilities through a Western lens. For instance, many quite correctly cite that the Kuznetsov has aircraft poorly suited to carrier ops and SSMs mounted in the deck which would disrupt flight ops. That rather misses the point that the SSMs are the ship's primary weapon system (although I acknowledge that said vessel is rather...well..bent, for the foreseeable future!).

I'm not being negative by any means. However, the politicians and Joe Public need to have greater realism regarding the level of threat posed by Russia and an acknowledgement that our technical superiority has been eroded to an unprecedentedly small margin. In my view, we can only plan accordingly by recognizing our realistic comparative capabilities.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
Rather ''good'' at potentially putting her Maj's ships at the bottom of the sea? Jeez, you sure know how to inspire and lead. ;)

In a naval environment, the knowledge that something could really spoil your day is never that far away. Transiting SoH, for example. You've got consistent rackets from Iran and the knowledge that if they did actually launch you'd barely get any notice before they'd come knocking on the bulkhead.

It's a very different culture, but it works for the context.

One of the many cock ups in SDSR 10 was getting rid of FORT GEORGE, whilst keeping both the original FORT I vessels. A short termism due to refit cycles.
And that the super forts took up half the RFA maintenance budget between them.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

There certainly are.
wide__1300x731.cf.jpg

Or do you walk around 24/7 with operational GSR, canisters, NBC suits, combopens and NAP tablets readily to hand? I rather suspect that the large-scale issue of those would take longer than the time spent for a Sikh to shave.

Indeed, the Army would probably then have a policy debate on whether sleeves could be worn up or down on said protective clothing. ;)

Regards,
MM
Fair point, well presented. :)