Warship,Life At Sea (HMS Duncan)

Program is looking up, we had headwear, salutes and the Captain (call me Dave) made a direct suggestion..
Seems berets are mainly used as templates for haircuts :)

The trailer for tonight's episode includes operations which involve getting within range of Syrian missiles, and anti submarine warfare operations. I am not sure if this episode will cover the rapid redeployment to the Gulf/Strait of Hormuz, or if that will be in the third episode.

I have not seen the first episode yet. Is there any coverage of her providing command and control for the French carrier aircraft?
*Spoiler Alert* Yes.

Program is looking up, we had headwear, salutes and the Captain (call me Dave) made a direct suggestion..
Seems berets are mainly used as templates for haircuts :)
I was so disappointed with last week, that tonight I decided to watch "Cold Feet", only zapping over to WARSHIP during the adverts :( .

Yokel

LE
I was so disappointed with last week, that tonight I decided to watch "Cold Feet", only zapping over to WARSHIP during the adverts :( .
Why were you disappointed? Do things like headgear and saluting (remember the Services are different) interest you more than the actual mission the ship has been sent on - contributing to ongoing operations in the Middle East?

It was an interesting second episode. Obviously finding the Russian submarine would have been easier if they had been a Type 23 frigate - ideally with 2087 sonar and a Merlin HM2. The planning to give cover to a possible evacuation of British nationals was interesting, as was the QUICKDRAW AIR when a civillian helicopter strayed close to the carrier.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I liked it when our chubby Scouser admitted after QUICKDRAW that he did not know what he was doing, he just followed orders. Good man. The first bit will come with time, experience and his Killick going mental when he finds out he said that to camera! The second part is spot on - follow orders and fewer chances of mistakes.

Does the ship have a non-metallic covering to the superstructure? When the young lad was fixing the radar, close-ups of the main structure looked like it was covered with very thin material rather than heavy steel plates.
Some good characters on there, particularly the above scouse lad and the above mentioned chap. Loved it when he got promoted. Hope he does well.

Seadog

ADC
It was an interesting second episode. Obviously finding the Russian submarine would have been easier if they had been a Type 23 frigate - ideally with 2087 sonar and a Merlin HM2.
As the submarine was running on the surface, Nelson could have found it with his bad eye.

the above mentioned chap. Loved it when he got promoted. Hope he does well.
I was wondering about the promotion when they spoke about 1 star. Found out by googling. He was AB class 2 under training, now AB class 1. Next is leading rate (which I guess was killick), followed by PO then CPO.

Seadog

ADC
I was wondering about the promotion when they spoke about 1 star. Found out by googling. He was AB class 2 under training, now AB class 1. Next is leading rate (which I guess was killick), followed by PO then CPO.
Dear Mum, I’ve just been promoted to Local Acting Junior Assistant Steward. Love Jack x.

Dear Jack, don’t be to hard on the lads. Love Mum x.

He doesn’t get a star plate, a Booty chauffeur, a pennant and a few thrusting Staff Officers. However he seems like a good lad, the right sort.

Yokel

LE
As the submarine was running on the surface, Nelson could have found it with his bad eye.
True - but the point is what if there was a real submarine threat? As FS Charles De Gaulle does not have an ASW role there is no way of showing task group ASW. I wonder if portraying the French carrier will make the public think ours are the same.

Compared with some documentaries there does not seem to be much coverage of the flight.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I thought you were in the Royal Scots. You will be talking of 'going to scan' next instead of scoff. And the heads.
You might, but I would talk of going for scran!

And 'scran' is not exclusive to the Andrew.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
True - but the point is what if there was a real submarine threat? As FS Charles De Gaulle does not have an ASW role there is no way of showing task group ASW. I wonder if portraying the French carrier will make the public think ours are the same.

Compared with some documentaries there does not seem to be much coverage of the flight.
Yet!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The only army types I ever heard using it was the Army commando types like 59 Commando RE or 29 Commando RA. Things may have changed though.
The fact you led a very sheltered life with little exposure to the other Services is not my issue! :)

Mind you, after three months in HMS Maidstone* parked in Belfast harbour and several trips on LSLs may have expanded our vocab a bit.

*Still a Naval Party in board for the first few weeks of our first tour in early 1970. Our QM was a bit miffed about indenting for rum for their tot.

I would imagine that the vast majority of the public wouldn't even think about subs unless their attention was drawn to the topic. For that matter, I doubt that most matelots who's job doesn't involve looking for, listening for, or worrying about subs give them more than a moment's thought unless their attention is drawn to it.

The Captain (call me Dave) seems to spend a lot of time in his cabin, or so the program makers would have us believe..
Still, they do have Ant Middleton on the bridge.. and they gave the Iranians a broadside with a flare...

Yokel

LE
The Captain (call me Dave) seems to spend a lot of time in his cabin, or so the program makers would have us believe..
Still, they do have Ant Middleton on the bridge.. and they gave the Iranians a broadside with a flare...
His cabin is also his office. Flares are used as a warning - would you rather a burst of 7.62mm or 30mm with the risk of escalation?

Interesting to see the Wildcat using optical systems to get high resolution pictures of Iranian craft, something Lynx featured in previous naval documentaries could not do.

Latest Threads