Warship,Life At Sea (HMS Duncan)

D

Deleted 3147

When Duncan was getting harassed by those damned Russkies, would they have activated their targeting radar (or whatever it's called) that would show within the plane's cockpits, or would that have been deemed too 'provocative'?
Not under the ROE she was operating under.

D

Deleted 3147

Aster 30 is for defending the battle group

That is why the Daring class have it and are AAW destroyers

It would appear to me that they don’t carry enough

Missiles and CIWS are only parts of the solution.

May I suggest we cease fire on all the technical details because I can see this starting to get into areas that are best left off a public forum.

Regards,
MM

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
May I suggest we cease fire on all the technical details because I can see this starting to get into areas that are best left off a public forum.

Regards,
MM

Don't be silly, what could possibly be the harm of letting anyone know that Radar 1044 can form a track on a SS-N-666 Sapphire at between seventy and eighty miles, and that ASTER 30's infrared seeker can lock on from nearly ten miles range-to-go (that 'plasma stealth' cloaking device might help with radar but it's hot) to give a SSKP of between .87 and .885 depending on crossing range?

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah, coz no one could think to type in 'T45...... Deleted by Mod]
You always try to pass off your posts as if you have personal experience and intimate knowledge in an attempt to make yourself look in the know and and hold a position of authority within the Admiralty You do it on every subject from FW and rotary aircraft, AFV's.
It makes you look like a dick.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
You always try to pass off your posts as if you have personal experience and intimate knowledge in an attempt to make yourself look in the know and and hold a position of authority within the Admiralty You do it on every subject from FW and rotary aircraft, AFV's.
It makes you look like a dick.
Hope this helps.

Sorry I make you feel so personally interior… have you tried ignore?

Yeah, coz no one could think to type in....... deleted by ModL]

@sunnoficarus )
@SOI ) And for what is now I think about the eighth time of asking, why do you
@meerkatz ) need to keep changing your log on?
@PhotEx )

You are, I believe, a relatively low grade CS who has never served in the military. Therefore, it's likely you will not understand the implications of some aspects of what you write.

Even sufficient quantities of unclassified material can - I suggest - cumulatively add up to OS or at the very least, informative for our potential enemies when added together with further context added by an individual who enjoys privileged access but who may not understand what he hears.

So perhaps sometimes it would be better to hold your counsel.

Regards,
MM

Yokel

LE
So perhaps sometimes it would be better to hold your council.

Regards,
MM

He is an expert at local Government matters as well?

Don't be silly, what could possibly be the harm of letting anyone know that Radar 1044 can form a track on a SS-N-666 Sapphire at between seventy and eighty miles, and that ASTER 30's infrared seeker can lock on from nearly ten miles range-to-go (that 'plasma stealth' cloaking device might help with radar but it's hot) to give a SSKP of between .87 and .885 depending on crossing range?

Don't tell him, Pike!

Any fool knows you do not turn on the high power radar in peacetime as the noise the RWR makes in the Russian pilots' ears makes them spill their vodka, leading to diplomatic incident.

He is an expert at local Government matters as well?...

I get the impression that Sunnoficarus/SOI/Meerkatz/Photex considers himself an expert on most things...however, it's a fair cop on my grammar which is now corrected!!! :)

Regards,
MM

philc

LE
Sorry I make you feel so personally interior… have you tried ignore?

Thought about that but I am still waiting on your informative links about Warships around Bergen that are obliged to having AIS switched on at all times, not had time to catch up with your friend the ex RN frigate driver?

lert

LE
@sunnoficarus )
@SOI ) And for what is now I think about the eighth time of asking, why do you
@meerkatz ) need to keep changing your log on?
@PhotEx )

You are, I believe, a relatively low grade CS who has never served in the military. Therefore, it's likely you will not understand the implications of some aspects of what you write.

Even sufficient quantities of unclassified material can - I suggest - cumulatively add up to OS or at the very least, informative for our potential enemies when added together with further context added by an individual who enjoys privileged access but who may not understand what he hears.

So perhaps sometimes it would be better to hold your counsel.

Regards,
MM
Sorry MM I'm afraid I have to take issue with you there. He's not a relatively low grade CS. Just a low grade CS.

Aster 30 is for defending the battle group...It would appear to me that they don’t carry enough

The Type 45 won't be the only AAW vessel in the battle group; and there will probably be a CV or CVN around. Consider how large a force would have to take off in order to get a few missiles through the various layers of defence; and how few would land afterwards.

If the first raid of thirty or forty aircraft takes off, key units remain afloat and operating, the battle group continues on task, and only five or ten aircraft come back... how often are you going to even try to repeat the operation?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Including a Sikh in the Gallipoli memorial event may reflect the fact that Indian troops were involved, and took casualties in that dire adventure.

I understand what was going on with his cap tally but am a bit surprised that JRs in turbans don't wear a beret badge as a brooch on the front on the same way as SRs and |Officers. Would look a lot neater.

...If the first raid of thirty or forty aircraft takes off, key units remain afloat and operating, the battle group continues on task, and only five or ten aircraft come back... how often are you going to even try to repeat the operation?

That rather assumes that the launch platforms would need to penetrate the CBG's MEZ or DCA screens, or that the latter weren't themselves being forced to operate in contested airspace.

The Russians have some exceptional hypersonic and supersonic ASMs capable of being launched from land, submarines, ships and aircraft. They also have large numbers of obsolete weapons like AS-4, all of which could be fired at large stand-off range to soak up missile stocks. We did exactly that against Iraq using obsolete BQM-34 Firebee drones with radar reflectors and chaff dispensers in 2003. The result was that key Iraqi SAM sites shot themselves clean and the real stuff passed through soon after.

A SAM can only be used once, and I'm afraid that our technological edge - and mass - has never been smaller.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
...I understand what was going on with his cap tally but am a bit surprised that JRs in turbans don't wear a beret badge as a brooch on the front on the same way as SRs and |Officers. Would look a lot neater.

I think RAF and Army JRs do.

Interestingly, the RAF have just procured issue turban material for Sikhs of a far higher quality than previously obtained. The justification is that this is apparently a sign of status in the Sikh community.

800px-Sikh_Vaisakhi_Festival_In_MoD_Main_Building_MOD_45162437.jpg

Regards,
MM

D

Deleted 3147

Yeah, coz no one could think to type in 'T45....... deleted by evil Mod]

To be fair all he's exposing is his Modus Operandi and it's rather telling.

The wider point is just because you can find something it doesn't mean you can or should broadcast it further.

The Type 45 won't be the only AAW vessel in the battle group; and there will probably be a CV or CVN around. Consider how large a force would have to take off in order to get a few missiles through the various layers of defence; and how few would land afterwards.

If the first raid of thirty or forty aircraft takes off, key units remain afloat and operating, the battle group continues on task, and only five or ten aircraft come back... how often are you going to even try to repeat the operation?
By the CV/CVN I assume you mean their aircraft

It’s a layered defence:
- outer - fighter cover
- then long range SAMs (eg ASTER 30)
- then short-medium range SAMs (eg ASTER 15 & CAAMs)
- then CIWS
- then .....

Latest Threads