Warship,Life At Sea (HMS Duncan)

I would have thought that with a primary role of AAW the Daring class would also exclusively be armed with ASTER 30 ?

As in every available tube
Aster 15 is claimed to be for point defence/medium range targets, google claims its engagement range starts at 1.7km vs 3km for Aster 30

Aster 15 is claimed to be for point defence/medium range targets, google claims its engagement range starts at 1.7km vs 3km for Aster 30

Big booster on Aster 30 means the missile goes higher as it gets up to speed before it pushes over to engage, Sea Ceptor tips over as it clears the tube for very short range snap shots.

Did you read all that in a PowerPoint slide you were asked to provide clip art for or by hanging around the coffee boat at NCHQ?
Regardless, if it's gen, it's interesting stuff...

Aaaaargh I've just white knighted Meerkatz. I feel soiled. ^^

I might also wonder at Sea Ceptor's ability to handle close-range but crossing targets - i.e. the difference between "point air defence" and "area air defence". Type 26 is intended to have the ability for self-defence, not a Type 45-style responsibility for a wider defence of the task group; presumably, this drives the missile selection.

I might also wonder at Sea Ceptor's ability to handle close-range but crossing targets - i.e. the difference between "point air defence" and "area air defence". Type 26 is intended to have the ability for self-defence, not a Type 45-style responsibility for a wider defence of the task group; presumably, this drives the missile selection.

RN State an area defence and anti surface capability.

Missile success for HMS Westminster as second ship to fire new Sea Ceptor

There is also an ER version of CAAM with a fair bit more range if required.

A good portion of the Russian aircraft footage during episode 2 wasn't actually Russian or even filmed in the Black Sea. To most of the media an aircraft is an aircraft hence at least 6 inserts of Royal Navy Hawk T.1s being passed off as Russian aircraft.

hawk1.JPG
Hawk T1. One.JPG

Video at

My5

The Hawks would be 736 NAS from Culdrose.

736 Naval Air Squadron | Royal Navy

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
A good portion of the Russian aircraft footage during episode 2 wasn't actually Russian or even filmed in the Black Sea. T
Same as the Krivak in Episode 1 was illustrated with... shots of the last Kashin Mod in service.

Friend of mine is trying to dodge the tides until the new sheen and associated bullshot wears off
Hes probably a bay class queen with back to back trips to the caribean... #jealousy

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

RN State an area defence and anti surface capability.
Fair enough. But Sea Ceptor (99kg each) is a third of the weight of Aster 15 (310kg each) so I suspect that the latter has a lot more energy available to handle stuff that's faster / stuff that's slightly further away; and/or a lot bigger bang to make sure that it doesn't have to get as close to kill what it's aimed at, or make more of a mess of it when it does.

Fair enough. But Sea Ceptor (99kg each) is a third of the weight of Aster 15 (310kg each) so I suspect that the latter has a lot more energy available to handle stuff that's faster / stuff that's slightly further away; and/or a lot bigger bang to make sure that it doesn't have to get as close to kill what it's aimed at, or make more of a mess of it when it does.

The actual ‘darts’ are much the same size and both weigh @100kg. Asters a 180mm dart, Sea Ceptors a 166mm one. Neither pack much ‘bang’, 15kg for Aster and iirc, @11kg for SeaCeptor.
The big booster on Aster gets you up to speed faster and down range quicker, but Ceptors probably better for snap shots at leakers, and it’s a lot cheaper than Aster that costs a rather impressive £million plus a shot. Asters designed to deal with the very high end like the SS-N-27, but massive overkill for things like knocking down a cheap drone.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
True, that.

Sea Viper is an outstandingly capable area air-defence system: designate a Defended Asset and you can protect it against supersonic, sea-skimming/high-diving, highly-agile threats out to a useful distance without having to worry much about stationing, and with PIF/PAF giving a claimed sixty gravities of manoeuvre available for endgame engagement, terminal evasive manoeuvres are in "yeah, right., see if I care" territory.

Sea Ceptor is a point-defence system that's designed for good performance at an affordable price it's thoroughly competent, but instead of eye-wateringly high Single Shot Kill Probability, if it's a difficult target you fire more Ceptor at it. (Instead of two shots at 90% SSPK, you fire three at 75%, for an entirely made-up example). It's also got a limited consort-defence capability - it's "Sea Wolf Doubleplus" not "Sea Viper Lite" - that shrinks as the the threat gets scarier, so a Ceptor ship can 'goalkeep' a consort or two as long as they don't wander off very far.

Warhead size is actually pretty similar - Viper's got a small warhead (but it's really lethal - it's a well-designed piece of energetics) and goes for "if your miss distance is very small, you don't need a huge warhead to dismember the target". Ceptor, having a bit less optimisation for "hit or near as damn it", has more bang aboard to allow more room for "not quite hit" to still become "kill".

Sea Viper doing Mach lots will generate about the same Ke ‘bang’ as one tonne of TNT running into an incoming supersonic ASM. The warheads for when you ‘miss’.

When Duncan was getting harassed by those damned Russkies, would they have activated their targeting radar (or whatever it's called) that would show within the plane's cockpits, or would that have been deemed too 'provocative'?

Interesting Q - Obviously the programme was not revealing the details of what we gained/surmised*.

Among their aims both sides will have coyly hoovered up & recorded as much Elint & Comint tactics as possible during their encounters for future analysis & 'library' expansion.

BTW - At first viewing it might seem curious that when DUNCAN had apparently 'lost' their shadower they had to send their helo to search along the last known bearing.

The cockpit view then showed Ivan being located using passive enhanced visual TV rather than making any active radar search. I'd imagine that Ivan may have spotted them coming if using his own radar but would have been denied any intercept of the Helo's search radar signature.

*So many 'what-ifs?' but plenty to make it interesting to any viewer.8)

When Duncan was getting harassed by those damned Russkies, would they have activated their targeting radar (or whatever it's called) that would show within the plane's cockpits, or would that have been deemed too 'provocative'?
I very much doubt it as that would probably be construed as a hostile act, particularly in international waters; it would also present an ELINT windfall. The Chinese occasionally do things like that but I hope and expect that the RN would not.

Although I have yet to watch the episode, the Russian aircraft had every right to be there, just as HMS Duncan did.

Regards,
MM

Aster 30 is for defending the battle group

That is why the Daring class have it and are AAW destroyers

It would appear to me that they don’t carry enough

Latest Threads