Warship,Life At Sea (HMS Duncan)

Dire efforts indeed. Surely being British we could have adopted a more suitable cap with a peak?
the beret was a mistake from the beginning, we should have gone with the flat cap.

Interesting that the old Coventry has an Oto Melara on the front end now and no Seawolf.

Just checked the Wikipedia page and if it’s to be believed the only armament is the Oto. Doesn’t even state any close range stuff like gimpys.

So basically a really big, expensive and overmanned Peacock class.
Whatever armament was/was not, requested and/or possible, it is understood there is (still) something of an unpleasant odour that surrounds the transfer of the Type 22s, to Romania.

I think the asking price from MoD was "reasonable", but BAeS "ripped-the ARRSE-out-of" re-fitting them, and charged it all to the Romanian Government?!

The 4 x single MM38 Exocet SSM; and the 2 x sextuple GWS25 Seawolf SAM; were both removed before transfer to Romania.
Ah! Found some further details/confirmation . . .

"Type 22 Batch II Frigates

The decommissioning of the 6 very young batch II Type 22s between 1999 -2001 was mired in controversy as the MoD failed to raise much from their sale, HMS Boxer & Brave were sunk as targets, HMS Beaver scrapped and the others sold at knock-down prices amidst a corruption scandal.

1544029395176.png

Commissioned into the Romanian navy in September 2004, ex-HMS Coventry, ROS Regele Ferdinand was stripped of her Sea Wolf and Exocet and for such a large vessel carries very light armament. Together with her sister, ex-HMS London, ROS Regina Maria, they are frequent participants in NATO Black Sea exercises. (Photo: NATO Marcom)

Almirante-Williams.jpg

Sold to Chile in 2003, Ex-HMS Sheffield, Almirante Williams has been significantly modified with Sea Wolf replaced by 2 x 16-cell Israeli Barak VLS, 1 Oto Melara 76mm gun and 8 Harpoon AShM. (Photo: US Navy)

Sailing under a different flag – former Royal Navy vessels serving with other navies

Last edited:
Published by: David Leigh and Rob Evans, The Guardian, on Thursday 29 June 2006.

Scant return on navy's £1.2bn frigate sale
· Nine redundant vessels make £5m for taxpayer
· Most of money raised goes to arms companies

A series of sell-offs and disposals of Royal Navy ships, designed to recoup a dividend from the end of the cold war, has raised little more than small change, according to figures obtained by the Guardian.

Nine modern frigates out of a fleet of 26, which cost more than £1.2bn to build, have recouped less than £5m despite a five-year sales effort by the Ministry of Defence.

One of the frigates had to be sold for scrap. Two others were blown up for target practice. Two were sold to Romania in a deal marked by corruption allegations. Four more, including HMS Sheffield, are now being transferred to Chile at giveaway prices.

While government announcements suggest a sales total of more than £277m, figures disclose that almost all that cash has gone to commercial companies, notably BAE, to re-equip the ships . . . .

Last edited:
We'd never want you to. You can keep the hackle even when you're overrun by our commonwealth brothers in arms, and the RRF reverts to some sort of weird RA (Inf support), which is where you came from I think. Good luck.

Orrrrrr, you can see 'The Light', and become RIFLES :cheers::boogie:
Care to explain this? From an NF perspective ,( cant speak for the 3 junior Regiments of the Fusilier Brigade) the Regiment was raised by William of Orange as grunts for a trip across the water, Ive never came across anything to ever suggest theres Dropshort DNA attached

Published by: David Leigh and Rob Evans, The Guardian, on Thursday 29 June 2006.

A series of sell-offs and disposals of Royal Navy ships, designed to recoup a dividend from the end of the cold war, has raised little more than small change, according to figures obtained by the Guardian.

Nine modern frigates out of a fleet of 26, which cost more than £1.2bn to build, have recouped less than £5m despite a five-year sales effort by the Ministry of Defence.

One of the frigates had to be sold for scrap. Two others were blown up for target practice. Two were sold to Romania in a deal marked by corruption allegations. Four more, including HMS Sheffield, are now being transferred to Chile at giveaway prices.

While government announcements suggest a sales total of more than £277m, figures disclose that almost all that cash has gone to commercial companies, notably BAE, to re-equip the ships . . . .

I’m sure they had more than 10 miles on the clock when they were sold

T22’s needed large crews -

Care to explain this? From an NF perspective ,( cant speak for the 3 junior Regiments of the Fusilier Brigade) the Regiment was raised by William of Orange as grunts for a trip across the water, Ive never came across anything to ever suggest theres Dropshort DNA attached
It's why you've got a red stripe down yer trouse. It homage to your RA heritage.....you sure you're a Fusithingy?

The 'foundations' and space requirements for a VLS 41 fit have been built into the 45s.
The 12 cell VLS will go behind the Sylver cells, in front of the bridge?
Would it be possible to put SeaCeptor/CAAM VLS cells anywhere else on the ship ie above the hanger?

Is SeaCeptor still to be integrated onto the Type 45 to quadpack into the Sylver cells?

The 12 cell VLS will go behind the Sylver cells, in front of the bridge?
Would it be possible to put SeaCeptor/CAAM VLS cells anywhere else on the ship ie above the hanger?

Is SeaCeptor still to be integrated onto the Type 45 to quadpack into the Sylver cells?
I left the project quite some time ago, however, from memory it is either PAAMS or VLS 41, but not both. You would not believe how big those silos are! You only see the top bit!

Which answers the bit about the hanger! The paraffin pigeon would have no house, not to mention CofG, firing loads, length of cable runs, survivabilty etc

Quad-pack - I have no idea, but could be viable.

I left the project quite some time ago, however, from memory it is either PAAMS or VLS 41, but not both. You would not believe how big those silos are! You only see the top bit!

Which answers the bit about the hanger! The paraffin pigeon would have no house, not to mention CofG, firing loads, length of cable runs, survivabilty etc

Quad-pack - I have no idea, but could be viable.
I thought the CAAM cells were only 3m long.
I take it the Type 45 will doubtfully get Mk 41 then if the Sylver cells would have to be removed as well then.
I just think for such a big ship and the role it will take on as the principal AAW platform for a future carrier taskforce that the 48 cells it has, is lacking when you look at the Arleigh Burkes or their Japanese and Korean counterparts.

I take it the Type 45 will doubtfully get Mk 41 then if the Sylver cells would have to be removed as well then.
I just think for such a big ship and the role it will take on as the principal AAW platform for a future carrier taskforce that the 48 cells it has, is lacking when you look at the Arleigh Burkes or their Japanese and Korean counterparts.
As I understand it (and my knowledge is purely google based) Aster is a one shot, one kill system whereas the Americans employ two shots, one kill.
If that is the case and it works then half the missile capacity still equals the same amount of flying things shot down.

I'm sure one of the resident naval types will comment on how valid that is.

On paper, but some of the VLS cells on an Arleigh Burke will be filled with other non shooting things down things like ASROC and TLAM. There is an arguable case for deleting the Sea Viper 15 and replacing it with quad packed SeaCeptor. - a cheaper missile with much the same range.

Mk41 VLS? SM-3 for ABM was at one point an aspiration, so it would have made sense to swap out Sylver, (they were advised strongly not to Sylver 50, it’s now an orphan model that even the French moved away from) (LM claim Mk41 can take Sea Viper and Sea Ceptor). Sea Viper in a Block I NT iteration seems to be the answer now, (and fits in the existing Sylver 50) but with Mk41 on Type 26, SM-3 could be back in the running, but it’s not cheap.

However, as always, moneys too tight to mention.

As I understand it (and my knowledge is purely google based) Aster is a one shot, one kill system whereas the Americans employ two shots, one kill.
If that is the case and it works then half the missile capacity still equals the same amount of flying things shot down.

I'm sure one of the resident naval types will comment on how valid that is.

The Americans also use their SM-2 missiles as an anti ship option - its big and packs a very big warhead.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
On paper, but some of the VLS cells on an Arleigh Burke will be filled with other non shooting things down things like ASROC and TLAM. There is an arguable case for deleting the Sea Viper 15 and replacing it with quad packed SeaCeptor. - a cheaper missile with much the same range.

Mk41 VLS? SM-3 for ABM was at one point an aspiration, so it would have made sense to swap out Sylver, (they were advised strongly not to Sylver 50, it’s now an orphan model that even the French moved away from) (LM claim Mk41 can take Sea Viper and Sea Ceptor). Sea Viper in a Block I NT iteration seems to be the answer now, (and fits in the existing Sylver 50) but with Mk41 on Type 26, SM-3 could be back in the running, but it’s not cheap.

However, as always, moneys too tight to mention.
Did you read all that in a PowerPoint slide you were asked to provide clip art for or by hanging around the coffee boat at NCHQ?

I would have thought that with a primary role of AAW the Daring class would also exclusively be armed with ASTER 30 ?

As in every available tube

Latest Threads