Warship,Life At Sea (HMS Duncan)

The ships company look far too professional to be absorbed into the borg
One thing I noticed, is that with all of the collective education, intellect and experience within the ships company, the CO was very clearly far to hammered from a junior officers mess evening, to attend the vital lesson titled 'HOW TO SHAPE A FOOKIN BERET'.....:salut:

We'd never want you to. You can keep the hackle even when you're overrun by our commonwealth brothers in arms, and the RRF reverts to some sort of weird RA (Inf support), which is where you came from I think. Good luck.

Orrrrrr, you can see 'The Light', and become RIFLES :cheers::boogie:
Fusilier regiments were the first to carry a lighter pattern of flintlock,known as a'Fusil'.They did indeed guard the guns for the artillery.
When the rest of the army adopted flintlocks,the title'Fusilier' was retained.
Edit.
We could never merge,it would take too long to teach you all how to do proper drill.
Back to the thread.

Last edited:
Fusilier regiments were the first to carry a lighter pattern of flintlock,known as a'Fusil'.They did indeed guard the guns for the artillery.
When the rest of the army adopted flintlocks,the title'Fusilier' was retained.
Back to the thread.
Drifting like HMS Duncan in a storm...but....

Probably why we're Riflemen.....stop fighting it...go towards The LIGHT....you now you want to and as you know, resistance is futile. ^^:clap:

Storm over. Ship under control, so no more drift. :thumleft:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
22 days into a deployment and no stops in the Med yet? WTF?

No gib run? Cyprus? Malta? Crete?

No wonder everyone is leaving the mob.
Don't know what the current anti-terrorist pic is like - but on the way back from the Gulf in 2003 we bypassed Gib and stopped in Cadiz instead. But that was on an RFA not one of Her Madge's lean ocean greyhounds.

It's only been public record for over fifteen years, plus you can use the never-before-considered expedient of counting the hatches in the VLS silo (what will these people think of next?)
Take a gold star for Advanced Irony

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
FFS,not another Americanism.
What next,the Royals start saying"semper fi"?
We’ve been wearing baseball caps at sea since at least the late 90s.

Much more practical than a beret especially in hot weather and on the bridge when it’s sunny.

And given the inability and complete lack of interest of most matelots to shape a beret, baseball caps are much smarter.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I think berets were only introduced into the RN '74-------- ever seen some of those pongo abominations--- Tankie-RCT- Para flat caps?-------- Takes time to acquire style,especially those fekin' Kangols. (Victors of Aldershot did the best ones)
Berets came in in the Fleet Air Arm long before that.

I have a pic somewhere of me (fish head not FAA) somewhere wearing one 1963/64.

ugly

LE
And given the inability and complete lack of interest of most matelots to shape a beret, baseball caps are much smarter.
Dire efforts indeed. Surely being British we could have adopted a more suitable cap with a peak?

=-)
In certain units where berets are ‘shaped’ it often because there are people who can make life very hard whispering in one’s ear that they have taken an interest in the final shape you are going to possess. Besides, it’s hard to look hard with a f’ing pancake on your head.

"Transient Radiation Effects on... oh, vacuum tubes. Forget I said anything."

Like the FOX FIRE radar on the MiG-25, which caused some hilarity in 1976 when Viktor Belenko defected to Japan in one. Vacuum tubes in a supposedly-modern aircraft!

... until someone pointed out that FOX FIRE was (a) near-immune to EMP, TREE et al (important at a point where a game of Global Thermonuclear War would have serious kilotonnage being thrown around on nuclear-warhead SAMs, SRAMs for defence suppression, and of course the actual SIOP being executed with Many Big Bombs, plus the Moscow ABM complex setting off nukes at high altitude for perfect EMP generation) and (b) its 600 kilowatts of narrow-beam power made the five to ten kilowatts of noise jamming power a B-52G could apparently put out, look a little bit anaemic. "I think in English, you call this 'burn through', comrade..."
The Russkies (or the Sovs) sure did come up with some interesting/ innovative solutions which might look crude to outside western observers. They may not have had the cutting edge in SW and electronics, but they made it up in other ways.

ugly

LE
The role of a minister of religion is complex one. I am a Vicar in a parish and also a chaplain to a secular organistion, the majority of my work is nothing to do with taking services. It is what's described as a ministry of presence, put simply it is the idea of being there for people when they need me. Some of it crosses into work that social services should be doing, some is possibly being a point of contact for people seeking welfare organisations (bereavement, illness or relationship services). Essentially it is being a freind or a sympathetic ear to someone who may have no one else that they feel they can turn to.

Any form of direct evangelism is way down the list although I am more than happy to share my faith and the reasons I act in certain way when appropriate.
I very good freind of mine has just finished as an army chaplain and saw service in Iraq and on other operations. He found that both OR and officers would talk to him long before they sought the services of welfare. He has stood by people facing legal issues and family problems and did what he could to bring light and hope to some people in very dark places as someone who is with the organisation but not from it.

Yes he is a friendly and affable chap who I understand made sure he was well supplied with sweeties and cigarettes and no doubt this helped. I have also found that I can do more good standing in the pub talking with people, or pottering around the parish than I can do with any sermon on a Sunday morning.

Church attendance has nothing to do with it. I would love to have a full church on a Sunday morning but it won't happen, probably will never happen and probably never did happen in the past. The majority of people that are on my radar are not regular attendees but many have a faith and even if they don't it does not affect the way I deal with them.
Did you ever get this sort of token of appreciation, Padre?

Latest Threads