Warsaw and Prague

I cannot remember the name of the place I used to drop into in Prague but, it was a good couple of miles from the city centre around 200 metres from the local underground station. I stayed there because it was out of the city centre and in the local community, so to speak. When you walk from outside the city into the city you notice a big difference and change. Outside the centre it is Prague as was, still more or less Prague as it used to be, whereas in the centre all the usual suspects have moved into many parts with neon signs, glitz, burgers and pizza. Go see the sights but, also wander a bit further afield, back streets and alleys - couple of Czech Army girls I met told me to go to BRNO as it is still not as developed as Prague.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for places to stay in Warsaw and Prague
For Prague go on AirBnB and choose from a selection of cheap places, its cheap, the city is clean with what appears to be a bar/pub every couple of hundred of metres. The beer is uber cheap.

For Prague go on AirBnB and choose from a selection of cheap places, its cheap, the city is clean with what appears to be a bar/pub every couple of hundred of metres. The beer is uber cheap.
You must have been in a different Prague to the one I visited in November. The only thing going cheap there was the Sparrows.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Mandarin Oriental in Prague is very good. It’s in an old monastery. Full of atmosphere, great bar, town centre location, seriously top end.

Pricey but you get what you pay for.

The Leonardo in Warsaw is good, the Hilton is better but expensive and the Westin is good too. I have stayed in all three on HMG's coin. Interesting piece of trivia, the Leonardo is directly opposite one of the last surviving sections of the Warsaw Ghetto Wall.

Prague: value for money, cheap beer and good restaurants, stay west of the river around the castle. If you want the 'tourist experience', east of the river.

Warsaw: as close as you can get to, without staying within the old city walls.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Prague, it's a bit like the food. I couldn't really point to an outstanding meal. Similarly the hotels, each time has been a different hotel and they've all been ok. That's about it. Clean, accessible. Most of them had a bar.
4 star up, over the years. All different

If I'm going somewhere new I usually find a Kempinski hotel and stay there. But for some reason we've never done that in Prague. I just tell the travel people which bit of Prague we want to go and they find somewhere odd, close to where we want to be and it seems to work.

It's the strangest place. The last time we were in the new town bit. Taxi dropped us off at a front door in the street.
And pointed, 'In, In'
This is a hotel? It was, huge It went up and all the way back once you got through the ordinary looking front door. (If that makes any sense)

Try the Kozell. (It's a beer). The only edible food I actually enjoyed in Prague was schnitzel and Russian salad and I'm sure it wasn't it's fault I spent a lot of the train ride to Vienna in the bog.

Warsaw, never been, doing my level best not to in the near or far future, despite an open invite for the last 20 years from one of their guitar heroes and venerated rock stars.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
The Airbnb has seriously wrecked the cheap apartments in Prague. Bought up by Russians and launched on the market there's non of this year round landlord business to bother about. .
They can make their money on Airbnb. The locals aren't a bit happy and there's been council at work to curtail the foreign rentals.

You must have been in a different Prague to the one I visited in November. The only thing going cheap there was the Sparrows.
500ml of beer of just over a quid where the **** did you dine, the Prague equivalent of the Ritz?

Prague, it's a bit like the food. I couldn't really point to an outstanding meal. Similarly the hotels, each time has been a different hotel and they've all been ok. That's about it. Clean, accessible. Most of them had a bar.
4 star up, over the years. All different

If I'm going somewhere new I usually find a Kempinski hotel and stay there. But for some reason we've never done that in Prague. I just tell the travel people which bit of Prague we want to go and they find somewhere odd, close to where we want to be and it seems to work.

It's the strangest place. The last time we were in the new town bit. Taxi dropped us off at a front door in the street.
And pointed, 'In, In'
This is a hotel? It was, huge It went up and all the way back once you got through the ordinary looking front door. (If that makes any sense)

Try the Kozell. (It's a beer). The only edible food I actually enjoyed in Prague was schnitzel and Russian salad and I'm sure it wasn't it's fault I spent a lot of the train ride to Vienna in the bog.

Warsaw, never been, doing my level best not to in the near or far future, despite an open invite for the last 20 years from one of their guitar heroes and venerated rock stars.
Somewhere in there Skid is a narrative desperately trying to escape. You are comedy gold and ARRSE is better for it. :mrgreen:

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Somewhere in there Skid is a narrative desperately trying to escape. You are comedy gold and ARRSE is better for it. :mrgreen:
Sorry I forgot, small words, short sentences. Ie:
Prague has an amazing array of hotels.
4 star and up, really interesting. Food not great, Beer good, Pilsner or Kozell.
Better.
I can’t do line drawings.

To get there I recommend flying to Berlin and picking up a hire car. If you drive with a "light right" and in accordance with the manufacturers instructions you should be able to go from Berlin to Warsaw in one tank.

My coat...? How kind.

To get there I recommend flying to Berlin and picking up a hire car. If you drive with a "light right" and in accordance with the manufacturers instructions you should be able to go from Berlin to Warsaw in one tank.

My coat...? How kind.
On one tank Shirley?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Spanish_Dave Travel 4
Spanish_Dave Travel 10
Lynx7 Gunners 5