Wars of the Roses ...Clarkson Vs Stuart Hall (81)

BBC move to Salford

• Been there - makes Mogadishu look like Monte Carlo

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • Salford - home of culture and proper beer

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Ahem, with Jezza on this - and I was born there!

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Id rather live on my knees in Salford than stand on my head in Shepherds Bush...

Votes: 10 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
love it when the luvvies start handbagging each other ;-)
with apologies if this has already appeared and i'm too biff to find it ( I expect Smudge will be along shortly to tell me where he posted it several days ago ...)

Here ,there and everywhere (Silly Season looms)

Jeremy Clarkson said that the BBC's move to Salford Quays was based on politics Jeremy Clarkson said that the BBC's move to Salford Quays was based on politics

Jeremy Clarkson has blasted the BBC's move to Salford – branding the city a 'small suburb' and saying he would quit rather than relocate.

The Top Gear presenter used his Sunday newspaper column today to take a swipe at the corporation's decision to move a string of departments to MediaCityUK.

He described Salford 'a small suburb with a Starbucks and a canal with ducks on it' and said that he would resign if the motoring programme was moved north.

Clarkson - who reportedly receives a £2m-a-year salary from the BBC – claimed the decision to move five departments to brand new buildings at Salford Quays was based on politics, saying 'it was a box that has been ticked'.

Comment: Motormouth Clarkson is in the wrong gear

The 51-year-old also slammed Salford's heritage – saying its only claim to fame was a train accident involving Stephenson's Rocket.

He made no mention of famous Salfordians like Emmeline Pankhurst, LS Lowry, film director Mike Leigh and Sir Peter Maxwell-Davies, the Master of the Queen's Music.

Clarkson wrote: “It [Salford] is nowhere near any court that matters and nowhere near a single politician.

“Furthermore, if we ran the show from Salford, we'd be employing people from Salford.

“People who were born there and thought 'Yes, I like this. I see no reason to go anywhere else'.

“And in the world of television that could be a genuine handicap.

“Every year we'd end up making a Christmas special from the Dog and Duck or the nearest Arndale Centre.”

Today the BBC distanced themselves from Clarkson's comments - with insiders saying he should take a trip to the new offices before slating the city.

Salford council leader John Merry said: “These comments make Clarkson look like a slightly more sophisticated version of Alf Garnett.

“He needs to come to Salford to see that hundreds of people are gaining qualifications to make sure they are employable in the media industry.”

Clarkson currently lives in Chipping Norton, an affluent village in the Cotswolds.

A spokeswoman for the BBC said that he would not face disciplinary action for his comments.

But a source within the BBC told us: “Clearly Jeremy Clarkson hasn't been to MediaCity to see for himself the potential impact it will have.”
Octogenarian Stuart Hall fumes:

Broadcaster Stuart Hall has criticised Jeremy Clarkson as "deluded" for saying he would rather quit Top Gear than move north with the BBC.

Clarkson, 51, described Salford, Greater Manchester, earlier this month as a "small suburb with little to offer beyond a Starbucks and a canal with ducks".

He wrote in his Sunday Times column: "Every year we'd end up making a Christmas special from the Dog and Duck or the nearest Arndale Centre" and vowed to "resign in a heartbeat" if asked by the BBC to move there.

The BBC has decided to move five departments to Salford Quays from London, but has no plans to relocate the Top Gear team.

Former It's A Knockout presenter Hall, 81, wrote in the Radio Times: "Clarkson is deluded."

The BBC Radio 5 live sports commentator wrote: "Does he imagine that at the advance of effete southerners, we retreat to our outside lavatories with ripped-up copies of the News of the Screws?

"That in our back-to-back terraces we ply uncle Fred with chitterlings, chunks, bangers and chips, sit him in a commode, chamberpot handy, an ashtray full of dog ends, a basketful of empty tinnies and pretend he's dying through lack of care?"

Hall, born in Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire, added: "Manchester is booming, the financial sector deals with the world. Our scientists lead. Manchester is a seat of knowledge, a breeding ground for brains."
( Isn't Clarkson a Tyke , educated at Repton College - not a Suv'nor at all ?)

C

cloudbuster

JC's from Donny. A reknowned centre of excellence, cosmopolitan city and acknowledged worldwide for being a dump. But he's got a point; Salford's marginally wetter. At least the Beeb didn't inist on moving studios to Cardiff.

On the very few occasions I unwittingly stumble upon a Top Gear "programme" the sad,pathetic sycophants in the audience always remind me of those too terrified not to applaud Maggie during Conservative Party Conferences.

I like to think that some posters from here may have been part of Top Gear audiences and could be reading this :)

I enjoy Top Gear, and I consider Jezza and his chums to be both funny and entertaining.

Still, he can be a twat sometimes.

I agree. People tend to forget, and I think this includes Clarkson himself, that he's an entertainer these days much more so than a journalist. I like Top Gear etc but his pronouncements on various matters are sometimes entertaining and sometimes a bit silly.

He's a bit of a tit, but he seems to have made a decent living from it, so fair play to him! Though I know for a fact that his claims of having been expelled from Repton are pure bollocks.

Whilst Top Gear is mildly entertaining, the presenters are sometimes dicks. Isnt Clarkson a little too old and ugly to be a Primadonna? If he is trying to jack up his £2m by holding them to ransom, then fuck him. Let him go. There will always be other programs..... And Stuart Hall is a genius.....

Ah fuck it!

I had a nice long rant about Clarkson all written out, but I can't be bothered to post it.
Suffice to say, he is a twat. An armed forces supporting twat. But still a twat.

Fuck's sake. Studied at Salford for three years and found the town to be a shithole. Clarkson writes to entertain and likes getting people to crank up the Outrage Bus. Found it funny, but I come from Manchester anyway. Probably reflects proper poofy Savvanah whinges anyway. End.

I always enjoyed Stewart lee's take on the top gear guys...(I like top gear, but he has a point)

Fuck's sake. Studied at Salford for three years and found the town to be a shithole. Clarkson writes to entertain and likes getting people to crank up the Outrage Bus. Found it funny, but I come from Manchester anyway. Probably reflects proper poofy Savvanah whinges anyway. End.
I also studied at Salford? are you referring to the University of Salford?

He's going to quit? I hope so but I doubt it, it's in his style to make these brash and loud statements when he already knows that he is on a solid footing; I suspect he knows that Top Gear, because of it's unique locational requirements, wont be moving.

I think Top gear needs a rethink and that he and his puppet Hammond will not be missed, even though they think they will be.

Blimey - alarming levels of consensus on this topic - let's summarise:

> Clarkson is a twat - even though born and bred in Doncaster - he's a soft Suv'nor and knows nowt*
> Stuart Hall is a legend and should be the next 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car '
> Salford is indeed the post-industrial sh1t-hole of popular myth and legend
> the BBC's absurdly expensive relocation Norf of the M40 has bugger-all to do with programme making and everything to do with dark Mandelsonian social engineering and an exercise in corpoate bullshit .

Alles Klaar? Schön, Wo ist der Veltins......

* redeemed in part by A) the fact that he is an original long-term supporter of Help for Heroes ( 'cos his missus is bezzers with Pippa Dannatt) B) he annoys the Green faction c) I suspect he'd be a laugh in the bar

I always enjoyed Stewart lee's take on the top gear guys...(I like top gear, but he has a point)
What point does the highly unfunny Stewart Lee have to make?

On Richard Hammond's high speed crash - "I wish he had been decapitated and his head had rolled in front of his wife."

On Jeremy Clarkson referring to Gordon Brown as a 'One-eyed Scottish idiot.' - "I hope Jeremy Clarkson's children all go blind."

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sick, twisted and dark jokes just as much as the next man, but in order to be a joke it has to be in some way amusing, which Stewart Lee just isn't.

What point does the highly unfunny Stewart Lee have to make?

On Richard Hammond's high speed crash - "I wish he had been decapitated and his head had rolled in front of his wife."

On Jeremy Clarkson referring to Gordon Brown as a 'One-eyed Scottish idiot.' - "I hope Jeremy Clarkson's children all go blind."

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sick, twisted and dark jokes just as much as the next man, but in order to be a joke it has to be in some way amusing, which Stewart Lee just isn't.
Doesn't make him wrong though.

B

Biscuits_AB

I agree. People tend to forget, and I think this includes Clarkson himself, that he's an entertainer these days much more so than a journalist. I like Top Gear etc but his pronouncements on various matters are sometimes entertaining and sometimes a bit silly.
He's got lost in his own self importance and hopefully he will quit. There are better presenters out there and I doubt that audience ratings will plummet after his departure.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Top Gear is funny, Clarkson is winding you up (bad luck for biting), Salford is a shithole and you are all cunts.

Salford's not in Yorkshire, so it's shit.

Clarkson once punched Piers Morgan, so is allowed to say whatever the fuck he likes.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Clarkson likes to play the BBC Bad Boy and this is his game here. He knows the BBC has no plans to move Top Gear north. Not least because shifting their test track from Dunsford Aerodrome in Surrey up to Salford might pose one or two logistics challenges. If the rest of his BBC litter mates don't want to move north to save a huge wedge of our licence fee I am sure they can wrap and explore the buoyant jobs market with the sort of perks and pension they currently enjoy.

Can we start battering soft southern puffs now please?