warrior vs. Bradley: how much better protected?`

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jun 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hearing that the bad guys say that the WR must be blessed by Allah ( as they cannot destroy it ) makes me wonder, is it because our Chobham is better than their Chobham?

Why else would it seem that WR is more survivable to eg. RPG?
  2. Its not the WR thats blessed, its the British :wink:
  3. are the yanks
    using the side protection we use, the stuff that looks like chicken wire?
  4. I have a photo of an Arty OP Warrior just after it had drove over a doubled up TMM1 in Bosnia in 1996 - it took off two road stations and loosened the chobam a wee bit. The crew were fine, not a scratch. I think the protection is outstanding for the class of vehicle.
  5. If you'd been there, you'd know differently.
  6. From what I hear from tankers, Our chobham IS better than the export version the Amricans use, hence why they put layer of DU in it in later versions of the M1.
  7. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

I have the dubious honour of working on these things from an engineering viewpoint.

Yes, the armour is much better but also the seam welding regime is so over the top as to be ridiculous....until they start taking hits then it makes sense.
    Basically the US butt weld at corners, the UK have a stepped joint like old style drawer carpentry where the two sheets partially wrap around each other. This is then multiple welded to form a fat seam welded and then ground back to shape producing a stronger weld.
  8. Ah yes, WR only ever being used in Iraq and no other source of info available to anyone than the Mk 1 Mod 1 eyeball.

MIB - thank you. I am aware that the WR took account of the South African experience in making eg. Roikaat safer against mines.
  9. Ah yes, the v-shaped hull of Warrior! :wink:
  10. As for the story about 'Chobham', the theory about what it consists of crops up from time to time...

Ask the PWRR how they got in in Amarah....not pretty
  11. It is really annoying that it is called Chobham armour, yes the boffins came from there but all the work, the testing, making up the new "menus" of armour were done at Kirkcudbright. So really it is "Kirkcudbright " Armour.
  12. i thought it was now called Dorchester level 2 armour?
  13. I think the secret ingredient is sodhexco bread&butter pudding . :lol:
  14. I would beg to differ on that... Kirkudbright was the test range alright, but the design and initial manufacture (before it went to industry) was done at FVRDE Chertsey, including integration on the first 'Chobham' tank, FV4211.
  15. I thought the stuff was made out of uneaten treacle pudding.