Warrenpoint 33 years on.

A terrible day, out on the ground from XMG at the time. RIP.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Peace be with them all.

I was doing parts of the Pennine Way with two mates one civvy one RE when we stopped for replen and bought a paper. I still remember the emotion as we had been out in the hills for a couple of days and this was the first thing we saw. Absolutely devastated.
Our civvy mate got caught up in it and it gave him a surprise with the intensity.

RIP and thoughts for those left behind.

We're all aware of PTSD nowadays, but it also effects the relatives. One of the murdered Paras was the brother of a schoolmate who took it really badly. He got sent down for GBH after a bunch of cnuts started taking this piss about him and his loss not long after. Haven't seen him for years, but he's still not got over it. Bastards!

There is a report on UTV Live tonight at 10.30

UTV has obtained the police files on the Narrow Water atrocity and will tell the full story of what was done to catch the killers.
An undated RUC report back in 1979 details the force's frustrations with the gardai over attempts to question Burns and Brennan.
It said: "In spite of requests by us we were not permitted facilities to interview the suspects nor would Garda re-interview Brennan and Burns for us, using their equivalent of our crime squad."
More here;
The truth behind Narrow Water - UTV Live News

A sad day, very much so for the people of Warrenpoint who have never really been too bothered about politics, I have a lot of friends in that area whom I see every year. The attached are pics of narrow water, the memorial wreaths and the round tower which was the firing point region. RIP guys.

Attachments

And on page 3 of the Daily Telegraph today is a photograph of one of the survivors.
P... B...s doing a "Mary Poppins" ( blue shirt, yellow brolly) floating over the crowd at the Paralympics opening ceremony.
He was with the Red Freds with one false leg and just this year finally elected to have the have the other foot removed as the burns up into the arch of his foot never healed and he lived with the pain all this time.
Excellent bloke with an indomitable spirit.

And on page 3 of the Daily Telegraph today is a photograph of one of the survivors.
P... B...s doing a "Mary Poppins" ( blue shirt, yellow brolly) floating over the crowd at the Paralympics opening ceremony.
He was with the Red Freds with one false leg and just this year finally elected to have the have the other foot removed as the burns up into the arch of his foot never healed and he lived with the pain all this time.
Excellent bloke with an indomitable spirit.
He was also the guest of honour at the unveiling of the Parachute Regiment & Airborne Forces, Op Banner Memorial.
In the military cemetery Aldershot on ABF Day this year!

Can hardly believe it's so long ago. Flew into the Province as a young Cpl that day.

RIP.