Warren Point Memorial 27th August 2009

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pararegtom, Jul 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

The 27th August marks the 30th Anniversary of the bombings at Warrenpoint in which 16 soldiers from 2 PARA and 2 from Queens Own Highlanders were Murdered. A number of survivors and close friends will be meeting in the Aldershot Military Cemetery at 1600 hrs to pay their respects to fallen friends and comrades. If anyone wishes to join us then please feel free to do so.
  2. I will be there, not gladly but willingly - sad day, I just can't believe it has been 30 years - seems like yesterday. Wonderful memories of such happy times together x
  3. You know I'll be there too PRT

4. Tom, I was thinking of going across the water to pay my respects but unfortunately will be in the far north that week. Be assured I will raise a glass to their memory on the day. I wasn't 2 Para nor Queens Own Highlanders, but was a member of REST in BBK at the time.

God bless you all, survivors and the lost.
  5. Pararegtom

We spoke about this you dim old bugger saw you there . Respect and cheers
  6. I can't belive that it's been 30 years since Warrenpoint, I was there and I will never forget it.
    God bless those who we left behind and for all of us who survived all the best. I was driving that big green thing with the red cross on the side that has never been mentioned in all the reports, I will drink a beer in memory and say a silent prayer

7. RIP

Always a special thought for my mate Donnie Blair.

He had a chat about:
    "Old RSIs never die they just attentuate."

Rest easy Donnie.

utrinque paratus
  8. Pararegtom

A memorial service will be held today in Aldershot.

Lest we forget.
  9. 30 years ago today.

Yesterday 4 of us visited and laid some flowers on dear Tony's grave and as we spent some quiet moments of reflection, we realised that there was not only great sadness at the loss of our dear friend but such wonderful memories of so many happy times we had spent together in the years previous.

Remembering you all today, may you all rest in peace. Gone but never, ever forgotten. xx
  10. To the fallen, rest in peace and we will always remember them!
  11. I was in the Army Cadets with Donnie and was in Belfast when Warrenpoint happened - I too will be thinking about him :(
  12. Sad day brother.
  13. It's a travesty that the incident was somehow overshadowed by the murder of Mountbatten at the same time and it still happens today.
    I always check the text (ITV p 315) News Day. It happened on....

See what I mean?

Would I be right in remembering a pic of a Wessex either about to land or taking off when the secondary explosion went off?
    Very sad memories.
  14. A very sad anniversary.