Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Warrant Officer - Wearing rank wristlet with C95?

Thats the trouble with this forum mate - most people are too afraid to ask decent work related questions in case of being shot down and being made to look a cnut - people on here need to remember that we were all new once - noob questions shouldnt be ridicouled

Mods need to police this

I joined this forum a couple of years ago, but rather than feeling im one of the family im increasingly afraid of getting slagged every time i post something

fukcin sort it out

:evil:

I partly disagree. It's the slagging off that encourages people to read the posts - hence more views than ArmyNet. Hopefully, the people who post are big enough to accept the slagging off - eventually a sensible answer will come up. Ideally respondents will include a sensible answer with their reply - if not, they're just showing that they're as ignorant (dictionary definition) as the original poster.

putteesinmyhands said:
I partly disagree. It's the slagging off that encourages people to read the posts - hence more views than ArmyNet. Hopefully, the people who post are big enough to accept the slagging off - eventually a sensible answer will come up. Ideally respondents will include a sensible answer with their reply - if not, they're just showing that they're as ignorant (dictionary definition) as the original poster.

This is supposed to be an army forum. This is supposed to be a place where i can ask questions without the fear of being ridicouled as im in the company of fellow seniors

Anonimity is a great thing, but if you abuse it, well....

Again, I'd disagree. It's an "Army" forum rather than an Army forum. Entry to ARRSE is open to anyone. Similarly, the Seniors Forum can be entered by anyone and posts are not restricted to Seniors (God, how I hate that term). If you want to stick to protocol, then ArmyNet is available. If you want a bit of humour, ARRSE takes some beating - but prepare to be bashed!

If the wristlet is good enough for Sandy Young outta The Wild Geese, then it's good enough for me. Not sure about his shorts, though.

I feel that the wristlet in CS95 is a badge of honour, perhaps for the 'old and bold', a bit like the '58 pattern belt.

Wearing the wristlet is an honour and a distinction.

AND in my opinion a CO should know all his soldiers at least by sight and coy!

Honour and distinction???? It's a badge of rank, and means no more and no less than the slide. Yes, it's prettier than the slide and, truth be known, I actually liked wearing it - it does something for the ego. But being a practical chap, I realise that it gives me no additional benefits (and catches on things).

If the excuse for it being worn is that it looks nice, can I go back to wearing my pullover which has a much prettier badge?

And to think that I grew out of the idea of a Warrant Officer being a deity at the age of L/Cpl....

Re the wearing of wrist rank against slides.

When C95 came in and officers rank was transferred to the slide a number of Majors in various units decided to enlarge the size of their crown as they felt the normal shoulder one was too small.

Instead of MOD/HQLF stamping on this practice, a meeting was held and a paper issued advising WO2's to wear the wrist rank again so they would not be mistaken for Majors!

This was promulgated in London District in 2000 and issued in orders. I think that's probably the same for those who have posted entries for seeing different units still wearing the wrist band.

Personally I agree with some of the earlier entries that the wrist rank separates us from the Ruperts and also you can spot the CSM in shirt sleeves easier!

I personally wear the wrist rank and only have the slide on my Combat Jacket :wink:

More often than not I used to forget to wear mine. Anyone who didn't know must have thought I was a very old Pte & in a strange lot that worn brown shoes! :oops:

biffchit said:
floppyjocky said:
Arai said:
As a newly promoted WO2, can i be sure that if I get myself a wristband Im not going to get an RSMs bollocking then?

After asking a question like that I reckon you just wanted to tell us you have been promoted! In which case, well done ! If it was a genuine question can I suggest that there is a serious problem in your unit if your RSM is THAT unapproachable from fellow WO's. :)

I really HATE it when someone asks a question just to be shot down by some norbert trying to take the mick. Instead of wasting your time typing negative comments why dont you try to answer the persons question?

Calm down Biffchit,

Firstly, My congratulations were meant. Secondly I have been to units where the RSM is completely unapproachable from all levels (bar the CO) although they are few and far between, thank god. If any such RSM's were reading this, maybe it might just make them think again. The whole post was meant in a non pish take way. If you bothered to look above this post you will see that I had answered the question (to the best of my knowledge).

As for taking the mick, what exactly did you mean in your initial post by "is it just to get noticed?" . I personally took this as humour, because I tend to view Arrse in that manner. I'm willing to bet there are others that thought you were indeed "taking the mick".

For Wellyhead,

Yes mate a CO should know all of his WO's, I think that he wanted to be able to spot them at a distance though. Must be an age thing, everyone looks the same to me in dpm. As far as I am aware since leaving that unit things have changed and AAC policy is that wristlets are NOT worn. If GingeG or Corpsman are looking in then feel free to correct me.

Legs said:
Almost, but not entirly, off topic - I personally don't like the CS95 rank slide on the chest thing. Why was it done that way? IMHO if they wanted to have rank slides, why not on the shoulder like everyone else. I can understand not having them on the sleeves, because we don't sew badges onto CS95 do we? :wink:

Back on topic, I think that the WO wrist badge is very smart, and should be encouraged. It should be seen as an honour to wear it!

I remember in the 80s infantry fashionista sub-culture, there was an argument that you should wear an epaulette with a rank (officers that is) in order to stop a nasty sniper shooting the Platoon Commander, having identified him from his pip(s). So said crafty officer type would fool the dastardly enemy by wearing his rank on his chest, which would no doubt be pressed to the earth anyway.

What a thought process, but I guess it made sense in NI, but rather big artillery stonks were the thing to watch out for had the Soviets ever attacked BAOR. And lots of big nasty tanks. I doubt the dpm epaulette would have been tank-proof but there you go.

I remember the fashion spreading up and down the rank structure. Like many things that are started, often sensibly by soldiers, the official management takes it up too.

The Army Dress comittee made it policy that all WOs2 should wear a wristlet in the relevant form of dress, i.e. CS95, Working Dress etc.
The reason was to do with the dificulty in differentiating between WOs2 and Majors . The RLC were pretty much the only ones to take any notice.

I believe this was decided in 2000/2001. I recall seeing the letter when I was at HQ 4 Armd Bde.

Of course the policy may have changed now.

I've only worn my wristlet once and that was with a gay cav jumper (no, I didn't buy it!)

Nige said:
The Army Dress comittee made it policy that all WOs2 should wear a wristlet in the relevant form of dress, i.e. CS95, Working Dress etc.
The reason was to do with the dificulty in differentiating between WOs2 and Majors . The RLC were pretty much the only ones to take any notice.

I believe this was decided in 2000/2001. I recall seeing the letter when I was at HQ 4 Armd Bde.

Of course the policy may have changed now.

I've only worn my wristlet once and that was with a gay cav jumper (no, I didn't buy it!)

As I mentioned above, I saw it in London District on orders in 2000 so that falls in line with your time at 4 Bde :wink: