Warnings issued by the U.S. military to their own troops

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Murielson, Dec 16, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Warnings issued by the U.S. military to their own troops:

"Aim towards the enemy."
    Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher.

"When the pin is pulled, Mr Grenade is not our friend."
    US Marine Corps.

"Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are
    guaranteed to always hit the ground." USAF Ammo Troop.

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
    Infantry Journal.

"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you
    least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what is left of
    your unit."
    Army's magazine of preventive maintenance.

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just
    U.S. Air Force Manual.

"Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo."
    Infantry Journal.

"Tracers work both ways."
    US Army Ordnance.

"Five-second fuses only last three seconds."
    Infantry Journal.

"Any ship can be a minesweeper... once."

"Do not draw fire; it irritates the people around you."
    Your comrades.

"If you see a bomb technician running, try to keep up with him." USAF
    Ammo Troop.
  2. you forgot:

Everybody hates you.
  3. "If it is flying the Union Jack, shoot it."
  4. I'm almost certain that Claymores used to have "Do not eat" written on them.
  5. [​IMG]
  6. Aside the obvious, WTF are they doing in a wooded area, in desert DPM with green coats,hands in pockets, and hoods over their heads under helmets. If its cold why is he wearing Jungle boots?

What has this got to do with the origanal question?

Dress according to your surroundings.
  7. At the gun shop, saw these words of wisdom stamped on the receiver of a civilian rifle: "WARNING: FIRES HIGH VELOCITY PROJECTILES CAPABLE OF INFLICTING SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH"

On a baby stroller, made collapsible for easier storage: "Do not fold up with infant still inside."

On a Hallowe'en costume, a likeness of the get-up of some comic book super hero: "Warning: suit does not enable wearer to fly."

On styrofoam coffee cups: "Warning: Hot beverage. To avoid burns, do not spill on skin."

On alcoholic beverages bottles, a warning to the effect that drinking too much too quickly will make you drunk.

I assume that the purpose of this fol-de-rol is (i) compliance with government regulations and (ii) avoidance of litigation for failure to warn.
  8. They're wearing the old-school dessies, with the Desert Night camo parka over them. What they're doing with these on in the woods is anybody's guess. The parka's quite interesting - it's got a grid pattern on it with some random blobs, designed so that night vision gear can't focus on it.

See here:

9. Yep, the last two have apparently been succesful in Court. A woman burnt her young daughter when she spilt coffee over her in McD's.

I like the one about the bloke who bought an RV (large camper van for us Brits), put it on cruise control and went in the back to make a coffee. Couldn't understand why he came off the road and crashed. Now they have a warning in the maual that says it only relates to speed, you need to keep using the steering wheel!
  10. ISTR that, along with American camp beds, these parkas were popular acquisitions from our allies during Op Granby. More for weather protection than to counter night vision gear I suspect
  11. Can anyone confirm if this is true? Apparently they used to be issued small cards which said 'On no account are you to drink, fight or gamble with a British soldier, because you will lose'. I also heard that it appeared in their 'welcome to germany' pamphlets. I was just wondering if it was true or rumour control.
  12. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
  13. It's true. I was in a pub in Salisbury about 1987 when I met and got talking to some yanks, who were part of the American AMF(L) Arty Regt. My unit (94 Loc Regt) had the UK AMF(L) Arty bty (5 Bty) as part of the Regiment. They had flown in from Italy and parachuted onto SPTA and arrived only 2 min behind schedule. That was impressive. Their shooting was less impressive, they were banned from firing, 5 days into a 2 week exercise because of the rather large number of swingers (that's shells that go outside the safety template for any non-Arty types) that they had.

One of them told me after a while that they had been warned to take care fraternising with Brits and Brit soldiers in particular and then he showed me the card. It was pretty much as you describe. Don't attempt to out drink a Brit. Don't gamble with one and esecially don't fight with one. You will lose!