WARNING: PMs new book - "Wartime Courage"

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by OldSnowy, Aug 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Our PM, in between running the Country (?) finds time to (allegedly) write a lot of books. Apart from the extreme irony of our esteemed PM publishing a book with this title, at this time, his latest – “Wartime Courage: Stories of Extraordinary Courage by Ordinary People in World War Two” – which has just come out, has already been the subject of many pretty scathing reviews. Even the Guardian, which is the last vestige of Labour support in the printed media, was less than fulsome in its praise: "his selective approach is unhistorical, he overuses terms such as "valour", "ultimate sacrifice" and "near-saintliness", and conveys an oversimplified view of war. For all the honourable intentions, this makes for worrying reading."

There are only two good things to say about this book – firstly, you don’t have to read his words, as he didn’t actually write it (apart from a bit at either end) any more than Jordan writes her best-sellers, and secondly, even though it’s only just come out, it's already on sale via Amazon for just over £2, instead of the cover price of £16.99. A price reduction this large this fast must be something of a record :)

I looked through a copy in our local bookshop (which had not managed to sell a single copy yet) and found it trite, hard going, and containing no stories I had not already seen elsewhere. I then went home and scrubbed my hands with dettol.

My advice – why would anyone want to buy this, and contribute to his wallet, when all he does is steal from yours? One for Sven and Ashie's Christmas Wish List only, I fear.

Finally. to help in case you wish to purchase it (apart from strongly suggesting professional psychiatric support), the Amazon link is:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0747596077/?tag=armrumser-21

There are already a few "helpful" comments and reviews - I am sure that Amazon would appreciate many, many more............. :twisted:

2. One of the (slightly misguided) reviews:

:puker: :omfg: :pukel:

3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

either that, or it was written by a Jedi Master of Wah-age.

4. A lot of people write their own reviews on amazon.

5. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Or get their party lackys to do it for them. Absolutely nauseating.

6. i thought that quote said

Gordon deals with the war with the type of humiliation and warmth which could be expected from him.

opps my reading ....

7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

heh heh...

'Tags Customers Associate with This Product
    First tag: snotgobbler (The Truth Will Out on May 13, 2009)
    Last tag: nappy wearer

Sort by:
    Popularity Alphabetical: A to Z Alphabetical: Z to A Tag Date
    incontinent (1)
    irony (1)
    liar liar pants on fire (1)
    most hated man in britain (1)
    nappy wearer (1)
    one eyed (1)
    oxygen thief (1)
    snotgobbler (1)
    unelected (1)
    unpopular (1)
    worst ever prime minister (1)'

8. :lol: :lol:

9. i would buy it just to do a review on amazon

10. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I dont believe you have to have bought it to add a review or any tags to it.... not that I'm encouraging anyone to do such a thing, you understand.

:p

11. Wah. It's not him.

It can't be.

12. As oldsnowy suggests it must have been a lackey who wrote the book too...

13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Maybe Sideshow Bob ghost wrote it for him....

14. Nah, you dont have to have bought it to review it, my comment is up.

15. Broon writing a book on wartime courage is like Baby P's stepfather writing a book on parenting skills.