WARNING: PMs new book - "Wartime Courage"

OldSnowy

LE
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#1
Our PM, in between running the Country (?) finds time to (allegedly) write a lot of books. Apart from the extreme irony of our esteemed PM publishing a book with this title, at this time, his latest – “Wartime Courage: Stories of Extraordinary Courage by Ordinary People in World War Two” – which has just come out, has already been the subject of many pretty scathing reviews. Even the Guardian, which is the last vestige of Labour support in the printed media, was less than fulsome in its praise: "his selective approach is unhistorical, he overuses terms such as "valour", "ultimate sacrifice" and "near-saintliness", and conveys an oversimplified view of war. For all the honourable intentions, this makes for worrying reading."

There are only two good things to say about this book – firstly, you don’t have to read his words, as he didn’t actually write it (apart from a bit at either end) any more than Jordan writes her best-sellers, and secondly, even though it’s only just come out, it's already on sale via Amazon for just over £2, instead of the cover price of £16.99. A price reduction this large this fast must be something of a record :)

I looked through a copy in our local bookshop (which had not managed to sell a single copy yet) and found it trite, hard going, and containing no stories I had not already seen elsewhere. I then went home and scrubbed my hands with dettol.

My advice – why would anyone want to buy this, and contribute to his wallet, when all he does is steal from yours? One for Sven and Ashie's Christmas Wish List only, I fear.

Finally. to help in case you wish to purchase it (apart from strongly suggesting professional psychiatric support), the Amazon link is:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0747596077/?tag=armrumser-21

There are already a few "helpful" comments and reviews - I am sure that Amazon would appreciate many, many more............. :twisted:
 
#2
One of the (slightly misguided) reviews:

It is amazing that within what must be an incredibly hectic schedule and an all embracing family life, that Gordon Brown has found the time to write this book. Written with heart- felt compassion, Gordon deals with the war with the type of humanity and warmth which could be expected from him. He is clearly very moved by the war and this comes across in the book, compellingly so. What is striking is Gordon's ability to relate to events which happened so many years ago, and his empathy is omnipresent. In a materialistic world as it is today, the very theme of this book in honouring those who were brave in the Second World War is so telling of Gordon's wider vision of Britain. Those who fought in the war would find it fitting that a Prime Minister remembers their fight and knows the significance of their sacrifice in that it is a society whereby some of the older generation are heroes who are enobled by the writing of this book.
:puker: :omfg: :pukel:
 

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
#3
mistersoft said:
One of the (slightly misguided) reviews:

It is amazing that within what must be an incredibly hectic schedule and an all embracing family life, that Gordon Brown has found the time to write this book. Written with heart- felt compassion, Gordon deals with the war with the type of humanity and warmth which could be expected from him. He is clearly very moved by the war and this comes across in the book, compellingly so. What is striking is Gordon's ability to relate to events which happened so many years ago, and his empathy is omnipresent. In a materialistic world as it is today, the very theme of this book in honouring those who were brave in the Second World War is so telling of Gordon's wider vision of Britain. Those who fought in the war would find it fitting that a Prime Minister remembers their fight and knows the significance of their sacrifice in that it is a society whereby some of the older generation are heroes who are enobled by the writing of this book.
:puker: :omfg: :pukel:
either that, or it was written by a Jedi Master of Wah-age.
 

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#5
Lovell said:
A lot of people write their own reviews on amazon.
Or get their party lackys to do it for them. Absolutely nauseating.
 
#6
i thought that quote said

Gordon deals with the war with the type of humiliation and warmth which could be expected from him.

opps my reading ....
 

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
#7
heh heh...

'Tags Customers Associate with This Product
First tag: snotgobbler (The Truth Will Out on May 13, 2009)
Last tag: nappy wearer

Sort by:
Popularity Alphabetical: A to Z Alphabetical: Z to A Tag Date
incontinent (1)
irony (1)
liar liar pants on fire (1)
most hated man in britain (1)
nappy wearer (1)
one eyed (1)
oxygen thief (1)
snotgobbler (1)
unelected (1)
unpopular (1)
worst ever prime minister (1)'
 
#8
maguire said:
heh heh...

'Tags Customers Associate with This Product
First tag: snotgobbler (The Truth Will Out on May 13, 2009)
Last tag: nappy wearer

Sort by:
Popularity Alphabetical: A to Z Alphabetical: Z to A Tag Date
incontinent (1)
irony (1)
liar liar pants on fire (1)
most hated man in britain (1)
nappy wearer (1)
one eyed (1)
oxygen thief (1)
snotgobbler (1)
unelected (1)
unpopular (1)
worst ever prime minister (1)'
:lol: :lol:
 

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
#10
davenport said:
i would buy it just to do a review on amazon
I dont believe you have to have bought it to add a review or any tags to it.... not that I'm encouraging anyone to do such a thing, you understand.

:p
 
#12
JINGO said:
Lovell said:
A lot of people write their own reviews on amazon.
Or get their party lackys to do it for them. Absolutely nauseating.
As oldsnowy suggests it must have been a lackey who wrote the book too...
 
#15
Broon writing a book on wartime courage is like Baby P's stepfather writing a book on parenting skills.
 
#16
You can imagine his spin doctors salivating:

- Writing a book: Barack Obama did it and he's popular, right?
- World War 2: Always a way to the British public's hearts
- "Ordinary people": Pleases the lefties - can't have posh people doing heroics, can we?
- Courage: You could almost believe he knows about that...
 
#18
overpromoted said:
You can imagine his spin doctors salivating:

- Writing a book: Barack Obama did it and he's popular, right?
- World War 2: Always a way to the British public's hearts
- "Ordinary people": Pleases the lefties - can't have posh people doing heroics, can we?
- Courage: You could almost believe he knows about that...
wait he did save the world..........

do you think he's like south parks spoof of al gore in real life.... maybe not believing in man-bear-pig but in cyclopscotwat, a grander version of himself.
 
#20
Brown and Courage?


Isn't that an oxymoron?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads