warning all barclaycard holders

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by gary2000, Jul 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just went to use my barclaycard for a rather large transaction and it was declined even though i have more than enough credit on the card.

Slightly confused decided to ring the bank and ask what the situation was. The answer i got was very unclear and not the slightest bit helpful however they had decided off there own back as i was not using the card they thought they would just drop my credit limit without telling me.

I have done a bit of a search on the internet and have found out that there are hundreds of people in the same boat.

This has obviously effected people in different ways. For most it is slightly embarressing when your card gets declined but others may be relying on their card.

So if you have a barclaycard you might want to check whether they have done this to you and if you are thinking of getting one then my advice is dont even bother.

I specifically took out the barclaycard in question only two months ago with the relevant credit for a very good reason and all ready they have fcuked it up.

Good old barclays strikes again.
  2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

American Express do this regularly, too.
  3. Those that do need to get thier sh1t in one basket.... It will only end in tears

And they won't be shed by Barclays.
  4. dont quite know what your getting at
  5. Cow

Cow LE

Don't rely on your card? This is common practice with card companies. If you don't use the credit then you lose it.
  6. This also applies to Overdrafts. If you haven't used it for some time, they may drop the limit. However, if you haven't used it for some time, they are likely to, at your request, allow you to increase the limit further and further.
  7. the reason for them dropping the credit is to cover there backs incase someone steal's your card and clears the account!! thats the reason for the drop of credit
  8. I rarely use my overdraft and for the past 4 years the bank has increased it each year by about 25%, good job i don't want to go and buy a new car.

9. completely disagree. this has never happened in my case. the opposite in fact is true - they keep upping the limit without my consent.

mind you I've been with the same card company for over 25 years