Wargammers & wargaming: a harmless pastime or weirdos?

Now how about the people that play "real" wargames, if any of the people on here, happen to ever be on Woodbury Common on a Sunday morning, you will often find people running round dressed as gobblins, and shouting at each other, while there own version of DS staff, run around and kill them off........

Tango34_UK said:
Now how about the people that play "real" wargames, if any of the people on here, happen to ever be on Woodbury Common on a Sunday morning, you will often find people running round dressed as gobblins, and shouting at each other, while there own version of DS staff, run around and kill them off........
Do they have extra large Dice for playing out side or do they just batter the cr@p out of each other till one of them falls over?

Wouldn't the local police arrest them for running around with swords/axes/guns. I can just see it now........

PC: - Sorry Sir, I had to shoot him.
Judge:- Right, Let me get this straight. You where walking in a South easterly direction along Woodbury Common on Sunday Morning when three Green Orc's, a knight and a large breasted Elf jumped out and started to attack a Mystic Monk with what appeared to be swords and axes. You Shouted your warning to which the Monk threated to turn you into a frog and pointed his staff at you at which point you shot him?

Looks like I've stirred up some interest. Never knew that wargaming could provide so much fun!

Does anybody else play medal of honour et al and have their mates asking "Why are you so sh1t? You're suposed to be in the army!"

I gave up trying to explain to them that i'm a geek in the army and that all that tactics and logistics stuff is for other people. Damn them, don't they know I have an OC and a QM for all that sort of thing.

For the record I have never, and probably will never be a war gamer of the throw a dice sort (with the exception of Risk, but i don't think that counts does it?). I beleive that any 'war' game on the X-Box or similar is acceptable as long as its:
a) With your mates;
b) You're drunk;
c) They ask you why you're so cr@p.

1 entry found for gamming.
gam1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gm)
n.
A social visit or friendly interchange, especially between whalers or seafarers.
A herd of whales or a social congregation of whalers, especially at sea. See Synonyms at flock1.

v. gammed, gam·ming, gams
v. intr.
To hold a visit, especially while at sea.

v. tr.
To visit with.
To spend (time) talking or visiting.
so basically, wargammers are whalers who engage in naval combat :)

Unlike Portsmouth on a Fri night...where you have Naval combatants (?) engaging with whales.....:p:p:p

Perhaps you should try the Brigade HQ version of wargaming:

G2 - One end of the table, all on his own, hiding behind a pile of red stickies with nothing but a tape measure (conveniently marked with GENFORCE artillery ranges) as a weapon.

At the other end of the table is:

Bde Comd
COS
DCOS
CO Guns
CO Engr
All the BG Commanders.

With stackes of experience and the mythical power of 'OJAR' at their disposal.

It is the Bde Comd's plan. The Estimate and Op Order has taken the best part of 24 hrs to complete (so don't be a clever tw@ and expose any holes in it). There are no rules. There are no dice.

Bde Comd turns to you and says - 'G2, your move'.

G2 - Commits Air Asslt Bn early on and attempts to seize vital bridge, lightly guarded by the BSG'.

Bde Comd - F**k off.

Great fun, but never did win.

Wargaming got me into computers, so I shouldn't complain. Way back in 1978 I was into WWII Micro Tanks when moving and working out who was visible/shot at/ dead/injured took hours. We bought and built two Commodore PETs, then computerised the scoring, so we could complete a turn in minutes.

I admit it was geeky, it was no help at all in my brief army career, but it does mean I spend part of my working life as a consultant. The best computer games are scary good, so pushing models around a table with fake lichen trees seems obsolete.

The D&D, Warhammer etc just seems like an excuse for beer and pizza with like-minded weirdos, I'd rather spend the time with wife and sprog.

I was a sad f*ck and did Warhammer and Mechwarrior but only up until the age of 17. I'm now working my way through Rise of Nations but you can't beat Command and Conquer Red Alert Yuris Revenge for an awesome game.

(Should I really have admitted that being a purebred lightsider?)

(OMG I need a life!, is it any consolation that I tour all the Superbike meets within a five hour radius of me?)

Iknowyourname said:
I was a sad f*ck
Was?

Iknowyourname said:
(Should I really have admitted that being a purebred lightsider?)
Are you sure you have never been tempted by the darkside?

Iknowyourname said:
(OMG I need a life!, is it any consolation that I tour all the Superbike meets within a five hour radius of me?)
No argument there! By the way, it is no consolation!!!!!!

:twisted:

I'm an über-geek, and admit to playing computer wargames. I have friends who do warhammer (which I give them plenty of crap about), but it doesn't bother me too much. I'm into some models (though I never finish them). I believe it's a harmless (but financially draining) pass time.

Anybody remember the Sinclair Spectrum and "VULCAN"? the Tunisian campaign. Brilliant game; had morale factors that reduced if the Unit got snotted and Logs had supply lines and flow rates. The same publishers did "Stalingrad" as well.

At last chief!!

Something you actually do rather than experience vicariously through the life and actions of all your friends in Iraq/Afghanistan/Swindon/Iceland

Excellent stuff carry on

FECKING WIERDOS!