Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War winning weapons

Chef

LE
Whilst watching another documentary on WWII, Werner Von Braun, the narrator was talking of Adolf's promise of war winning wonder weapons.

Chef minor posed the question:

Has any war been won outright by a 'wonder weapon'?

This got me thinking. On land tanks, gas and the like have all been kited as ending the war in a single stroke, or word to that effect but none have. Even systems which have given one side an advantage for a bit, blitzkrieg and the like have failed to deliver outright victory. Paratroops were quickly negated apart from coup de main ops like Eben-Emael and Pegasus Bridge.

The only system I could think of was the integrated air defence of Britain in 1940 which stopped the Germans in their tracks but didn't defeat them and for weapons the atomic bombs which brought an already defeated Japan to the table some months quicker. But they were already losing badly.

From ancient times Greek fire and technological advances in metallurgy, chariots, the stirrup all gave the advantage to one side or the other but counter measures soon arrive.

Technological advantages don't count, guns versus spears.

Any ideas?

Chef

LE
The A bomb ended the war in the Far East.

It ended it early and a good thing too but the Japanese were finished anyway, so more of a catalyst I'd suggest.

Whilst watching another documentary on WWII, Werner Von Braun, the narrator was talking of Adolf's promise of war winning wonder weapons.

This got me thinking. On land tanks, gas and the like have all been kited as ending the war in a single stroke, or word to that effect but none have. Even systems which have given one side an advantage for a bit, blitzkrieg and the like have failed to deliver outright victory. Paratroops were quickly negated apart from coup de main ops like Eben-Emael and Pegasus Bridge.

The only system I could think of was the integrated air defence of Britain in 1940 which stopped the Germans in their tracks but didn't defeat them and for weapons the atomic bombs which brought an already defeated Japan to the table some months quicker. But they were already losing badly.

From ancient times Greek fire and technological advances in metallurgy, chariots, the stirrup all gave the advantage to one side or the other but counter measures soon arrive.

Any ideas?

Pegasus Bridge wasn’t taken by paratroopers.

The British Tom, 1982.

Beat the Argentinians under very difficult circumstances.

Allowed Mrs Thatcher to win the 1983 General Election against an opposition that would take us out of NATO, which would have destroyed the western alliance.

So effectively by keeping Thatcher in place and Britain in NATO enabled the West to win the Cold War.

It’s interesting you mention war-winning weapons. I wonder if there are any war-preventing weapons made outside of wartime ie, because x has y, z won’t dream of starting a scrap with them.

Chef

LE
The long bow at agincourt?

Beaten to it!

Tyk

LE
It’s interesting you mention war-winning weapons. I wonder if there are any war-preventing weapons made outside of wartime ie, because x has y, z won’t dream of starting a scrap with them.

Arguably the hydrogen bomb is the only real candidate on that front, while it didn't prevent the likes of Korea, Vietnam, Gulfs etc it could be said it prevented them escalating ludicrously.

War winning weapons, I would argue none. Wars like WW1 and 2 were won by a combination of strategy, tactics, attrition and bloody minded boots on the ground (sea and air). All wars can be said to be the same to one extent or another.

Edit: Many of the examples people have cited are battles, not wars. Henry V deployment of the bow at Agincourt and the whole of that campaign had an effect, but it was the tactical use of the weapon that helped to force the overall victory and forced the French to the negotiating table, it wasn't solely responsible for it.

Any ideas?

The Battle of Britain was never an issue. Even if the Luftwaffe had 'defeated' 11 group, they'd still have to fight 10, 12 and 13 groups. But lets say they've got some kind of anti-grav laser armed fighter... You still have to get past the Royal Navy. And there's nothing the Germans could have done on that front.

I don't know about war winning, but defiantly war changing? That the change in direction led to our eventual victory might get it included.

I'm talking of No6 Gun, L Battery. More commonly know as The Nery Gun.

Consider, the Germans on their way to Paris to end World War 1 in September. The Allies had yet to get organised, and create an effective defence, especially as the Germans were always on top of them in hot pursuit.
Then we had the Affair at Nery, and the lone gun held up the German advance for half a day, and badly disorganised them inflicting considerable causalities (and using up no small amount of ammo) before a counter attack threw them back. This kick in the crotch stopped hte Germans long enough to allow the allies to dig in, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Latest Threads