War & The World Cup

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by CDT_Dodger, Jun 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can any British Military historians out there help me on this one.

Out of all the 32 countries who made it into the world cup finals, how many have been to war with Britain? Can anyone produce a list in date order listing them all. Even the small and obscure battles fought in 18th, 17th & 16th centuries would be useful - the further back the better. Much appreciated as it will provide mw with some useful ammo for a debate I am currently having.

I have tried a few websites but none can provide a compact timeline detailing the info I have requested above.

2. Thing is, one man's war is another man's police action. Would you include unsucessfully putting down a treasonous to the crown rebelion in the colonies of the Americas as a war against a country?

Food for thought eh, now who do they sing two world wars and one wolrd cup to.......?

3. Germany - WWI + WWII
    Ecuador - Never (except as part of Spain)
    Poland - On French side in Napoleonic Wars
    Costa Rica - Never (except as part of Spain)
    Sweden - Never (except we may have been at war on paper during the Napoleonic Wars
    Paraguay - Never (except as part of Spain)
    Trinidad and Tobago - Never
    Argentina - 1982
    Netherlands - 3 Wars in 1650 - 1680
    Côte d'Ivoire - never
    Serbia and Montenegro - 1999 possibly otherwise as part of Austria-Hungary
    Portugal - Never (except as part of Spain)
    Mexico - Never (except as part of Spain)
    Angola - Never
    Iran - Never although there was some trouble in WWII
    Italy - WWII
    Ghana - Never
    Czech Republic - Never
    USA - 1775 + 1812
    Brazil - Never (except as part of Spain)
    Australia - Never
    Croatia - German side WWII
    Japan - WWII
    Switzerland - Never
    France - All the time 2nd Millenium (not currently at war at time of post)
    Korea Republic - Part of Japan in WWII
    Togo - Never
    Spain - All the time 17 - 18th Centuries
    Ukraine - Never except as part of Russia
    Tunisia - Never
    Saudi Arabia - Never

Hope this helps.

4. We were also at war with Argentina several times during the 19th century

5. Iceland! Cod Wars anyone..... oh, they're not in the footie thingy.... bu99er...

6. Not as an independent nation, but fought the Ashanti tribe a number of times in the mid to late 19th century.

7. Brazil was Portuguese and Portugal are our oldest ally, so no, we haven't ever fought them. Serbia was on our side in WW1 so we haven't fought them either, unless you count Kosovo.

8. Using Lasalle's list as a starter.

Trinidad - didn't this change hands betweens us & the Frogs a few times ?.

Got this on Sweden by yahoo search on - Sweden war Britain - must be a list in the Country profiles link my my network is too slow at present.

Ought the France one be amended to add "but we should be" ?

Edited to add that Togo was a German protectorate in 1914, and I read recently that the first shots of WW1 were fired there. Not sure whether/how the statement should have been refined. Can't place where I came upon that gem.

Edited again war book mentions Aug. 7 British troops seize Togoland on the gold coast of Africa, and Aug. 26 Togoland surrenders to Great Britain. Maybe first shots by British troops after all on Aug 7. Bizarre

9. Yes - applogies to Serbia. Though Portuagal was annexed by Spain just before the Spanish Armada and most of the big ships in the Armada were Portugese.

10. Indeed, there ws a blackading war, with the UK and France allying against the Buenos Aires government in the 1840's or so... the fight was over sailing rights of the Plate and Parana rivers.

Also, in 1806 and 1807 there were two unsuccesful attempts of British Anexion of what is now Argentina. Left on her own by Spain, the local militia, aided by a few regular Army and Marine officers, were able to expel the british forces (headed by Gen. Beresford and Gen. Whitelocke; 1806 and 1807).

(Argentina as such only started to exist in 1853, or arguably, in 1860 after Buenos Aires joined the Confederation. Before that, they were the "United Provinces of the South", not unlike the 13 Colonies in the North prior to the US Constitution).

A few British banners and Flags from 1806/7 are kept over here (AFAIK) as War Trophies (no pun intended)

Cheers

Edited for spelling

11. Many thanks to Lasalle - excellent list, thanks.

12. Wasn't Saudi part of the Otterman Empire (i.e. Turkish, if so, add Saudi as part of Turkey WW1)

13. Also remembered a declaration of independence in Australia. IIRC it was confined to half a dozen stroppy miners in a small corner of one of the gold fields, but lives were lost over a few days. I wish I still had my memory for . er. detail.

14. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Tunisia occasionally from the 17-19th Centuries when the local Beys were all pirates (or legitimately taxing ships passing through their waters - depends on your view point!)

15. We've fought the Yanks twice, first when they rebelled (more rebels than loyalists) and then we defended Canada from invading American forces in the war of 1812.