War Sounds for Training

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Nickhere, Sep 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As part of some work I am doing on the effects of sounds and smells on learning during training, I was wondering if anyone has done anything similar and has any good 'sounds of war' I can use? I've got some great stuff off of the internet, but if anyone else has anything I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. Tell me more!

These days I work for a large offshore training company and we do use sounds (related to offshore) in the training. I am intrigued at what you are doing!

3. Braaap braaap

Badda badda badda

Kerboom

Arrgh

You're welcome.

4. I can record a soundbite of me straining over a deep trench latrine if you like? Not sure if I can re-create the smell properly though, unless you go to the chimp enclosure at Monkey World during 'cleap out' time...

On a serious note, I rember doing BFAT (or whatever they call it now) at Sandhurst. I wondered why the CSgt had set out a load of right angle torches with the field dressings, until it was time to practice and he turned off the lights and pressed play on the DVD with speakers at full volume - the final attack scene (or rather, sounds) from "Platoon"!

I think the CSM popped his head round the door to check the CSgt wasn't slaughtering us...

• Like Like x 1
  5. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

G_B, that sounds like a cracking lesson! I might incorporate that into some lessons...

6. I thought it was . . . .

7. Bet the music added that extra touch of realism.

8. Hollywood always used to have useless sounds until Saving Private Ryan came along.

The one thing they never can capture though is the sheer depth of sound that an explosion makes. It has a bass resonance that can only be caused by lots of air moving rather quickly. It thuds through your body even when you're some distance away.

So rig up a huge sub woofer and get them to stand directly in front of Michael J Fox style in Back To The Future.

9. It's related to virtual learning environments; making it as real as possible. We're trying to find ways to make the whole effect of training more realistic and we're using a **** off great big sound system for it. It'll never replace BATSIMs etc...but it's a lot easier and cheaper to use (before anyone says, the sound system is already purchased and used by another part of the Army).

10. The first 14-ish minutes of Saving Private Ryan is gunfire/expolsions etc - very little, if any, dialogue.

11. Is it a BOSE system?

12. WHen fighting the Japs, same as Sandmanfez said just chuck in the ocasional AIEEEEEEEEEEEE!

13. No music in that scene - just lots of shooting, explosions and screaming "We got gooks in the f#cking perimeter!". Which made our resident gook laugh...

14. Or depending on theatre don't forget:

"ACHTUNG! ACHTUNG! KARTOFFELKOPF!"

And of course:

"DAKKADAKKKADAKKADAKKKADAKKADAKKKADAKKADAKKKA"