War Reserve

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Gook, Nov 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know just what is held in 'war reserve stock' in case the world should come crashing down?

Granted, its unlikely with the current type of conflicts, and god knows if the public could even be arrsed to take up arms, but I suppose it'd be at least a little reassuring to know that the stuff is there 'just in case'...

So is there a warehouse full of all the kit that gets retired, SLRs, Chieftains, maybe a few Gazelles, and a fair bit of ammo and fuel to go with them, or is everything just melted down or turned into razorblades when its retired?
  2. Given that the Green Goddesses have gone, it seem likely that everything pre-2003 has gone bye-byes.

As Telic and Herrick are using up stuff fairly quickly, it would also seem that the post-2003 stuff is in short supply.

Oooer, better start saving the Green Shield stamps again.
  3. No. There are no reserves of kit. It gets flogged of to Argentina, Iraq, Zimbabwe etc
  4. War Reserve? War Reserve!?! ...wtf! we don't even have primary kit :(

When the balloon goes up, I'm running to my nearest Cotswold Camping ( - unless of course its a zombie invasion - then I'm going to the shopping mall)

5. I am sure there are lots of ten-man tea-bags...the last thing you want to be diffy when the balloon goes up is TEA!
  6. Hmm I can see how you'd flog AFVs and ships off to some third world country, if it came to using them they'd probably be outmatched, no trained crews and impossible to get spares anyway...

How can they flog aircraft though? I mean surely when we decide to stop flying them its because theyre dangerously close to dropping out of the sky... Hmm not quite sure I'd want to be an Indian Sea Harrier pilot!

Alright, all the big kit aside, they must at least have small arms? I mean, hardly any sort of support needed, probably wouldn't earn you much anyway, and its sort of 'the final resort' isnt it!
  7. If its a zombie invasion, I'm going down the winchester...
  8. I can imagine that there are boxes and boxes of Oximes in the War Reserve, but Thalidomide as a weapon of last resort? Would it be on the shelf next to the MMR vaccines?
  9. Send a gun and save a British home...

10. we could start an advertising campaign like this old classic.

11. war reserve that would be considered a waste or resources if there was more cash would be better spent on smarter stuff than more of same. If something was to happen troops could redeployed and iraq or afganistant slak would have to be taken up by someone else or not.
  12. Hardly buying new kit, just keeping a bit of the old...

Did we give ALL of our SLRs to Sierra Leone then, are they all walking about with one in each arm...!
  13. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Me :D
  14. Surely War Reserve has disappeared now that we have 'just in time purchasing' and 'smart acquisition'.

During the cold war, all units ran two ammunition accounts. One would be for training stocks and the other War Reserve. The war reserves had to be retained at a deployable level.

The thing i want to know is what has happened to the War Reserve Rum?
  15. In the fuel world, due to the nature of the product, its hard to keep large quantities for that "just in case" scenario. Mainly due to the degradation of it. On average fuel will last a year before it has to be rotated
    During the fuel strike, the military tightened its belt as much as the civilian did.