War Programmes

Crap thread title I know. I've seen everthing about the best war film, what about war TV series.
I think I will start the procedings with "Over There".

Old 70's programme "Spearhead" with CSM Jacko Jackson seem to remember it was pretty good for the time.

Tour of Duty. Utterly shite, but entertaining for that very reason.

Soldier Soldier a war series? Not sure about that...

How about Threads? Made in the 80s, set in Sheffield, about a nuclear war. Absolutely terrifying and utterly convincing.

band of brothers was outstanding, and like many others i wish we could get something like this about our boys.

tour of duty was quality entertainment (sad to say i still have the sound track somewhere :) )

T.F.R said:
tour of duty was quality entertainment (sad to say i still have the sound track somewhere :) )
Not sad at all, my ex had the CD version imported from Australia for me 'cause I kept reminising when they repeated the series on Sky a little while ago. I had it on tape about 12 years ago.

It is now saved on my computer for listening to at work

Ozzymick said:
T.F.R said:
Not sad at all, my ex had the CD version imported from Australia for me 'cause I kept reminising when they repeated the series on Sky a little while ago. I had it on tape about 12 years ago.

It is now saved on my computer for listening to at work
i d/l about 6-7 albums from the tour of duty series - also got series 1-3 on my hard drive too.

for war i enjoyed solider, solider till it got silly also enjoyed that one in the 70's spearhead or something like that, i was only a kid at the time but it was good to me.....

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
T.F.R said:
band of brothers was outstanding, and like many others i wish we could get something like this about our boys.

i am downloading it as we speak!
:oops:

The world at war is one of my faves.Somthing more contemporary would be battlestar galatica,yes technically sci-fi but it is still very warry.

Mr Happy

LE
In my youth I rather liked Para's? If that is the correct series name about a bunch of dopes-on-ropes in NI, second or third series saw them as civvies getting up to no good IIRC.

I remember a scene involving shooting a barking dog in the back of a car at a VCP being OTT but other than that..

Black-Mafia said:
Old 70's programme "Spearhead" with CSM Jacko Jackson seem to remember it was pretty good for the time.
yes i remember watching that ,

There was an excellent one off BBC Drama on the goggle box a few years ago called "An Un-Gentlemanly Act" based on the invasion of the Falkland Islands. Very well made with good military detail.