War Programmes

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Vaughany, Sep 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Crap thread title I know. I've seen everthing about the best war film, what about war TV series.
    I think I will start the procedings with "Over There".
  2. band of brothers was good (about americans but still good)
  3. Garrisons Guerillas
  4. Old 70's programme "Spearhead" with CSM Jacko Jackson seem to remember it was pretty good for the time.
  5. Tour of Duty. Utterly shite, but entertaining for that very reason.
  6. Don't know about war, but military wise "Soldier, Soldier" was pretty good.
  7. 'Squaddie, Squaddie' was fair-before they let those 2 koks sing, mind.
  8. The Unit was ok, Band of Brothers was excellent.

Why cant we make a good series like that without the yanks?
  9. I watched Tour Of Duty religiously. Over There is quite decent as well
  10. Soldier Soldier a war series? Not sure about that...

How about Threads? Made in the 80s, set in Sheffield, about a nuclear war. Absolutely terrifying and utterly convincing.
  11. band of brothers was outstanding, and like many others i wish we could get something like this about our boys.

tour of duty was quality entertainment (sad to say i still have the sound track somewhere :) )
  12. Not sad at all, my ex had the CD version imported from Australia for me 'cause I kept reminising when they repeated the series on Sky a little while ago. I had it on tape about 12 years ago.

It is now saved on my computer for listening to at work
  13. i d/l about 6-7 albums from the tour of duty series - also got series 1-3 on my hard drive too.

for war i enjoyed solider, solider till it got silly also enjoyed that one in the 70's spearhead or something like that, i was only a kid at the time but it was good to me.....
  14. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

i am downloading it as we speak!
  15. The world at war is one of my faves.Somthing more contemporary would be battlestar galatica,yes technically sci-fi but it is still very warry.