War Pensions

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Spanish_Dave, Dec 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Spanish_Dave

    Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

    Do we get looked after? are their any horror stories out there? does anybody have a bad experience as a result of the doctors who are sent out to complete examinations?
  2. EXBQMS,
    Make sure you get the quack to record every little gremlin you suffer from that you can reasonably attribute to your service when you attend your final medical. Don't be embarrassed.

    I had a very unsympathetic civvy woman in Northumberland Avenue give me a cursory once over when I left. Ordinarily I wouldn't have made a fuss having always believed that it was beneath me to 'claim' for anything. But my old man, who a few years earlier left after some 35 years service made me promise to get my recurrent knee and back problems acknowledged. Whilst, at the then tender age of 32 I was still able to grin and bear it. Some ten years later, I'm thankful for his advice. In another ten years I shall be even more grateful. I get about £100 a month - the money at the moment is not important. However, the knowledge that when I'm properly f*cked in a few years time that I'll have some assistance is most comforting.

    The point is that, if you don't get any 'barrack damages' acknowledged on leaving, and you later in life suffer from an attributable injury, you stand little chance of the system admitting that your service is /was the cause.

    The moral is, and in answer to your question, 'If you look after to yourself, the WPA will too.'
  3. I recieve a War Pension, with an unemployability supplement. You will have to fight your way through the paperwork, and medicals (which can be very stressful) they (WP) move at their own speed so don't expect a quick answer, If you get an Answer and a payment within a year you have done well.

    Get as much help from people like the British Legion, Comabat Stress and other service peoples charities as you can, they have people that know how to fill out these forms and can help you through every stage of your War Pension claim, even if it is only moral support and advice.

    I echo Queensman's advice .. list every problem you have, even if you do not think it is related to your service, as it may be and at least it is on their file even if they do not give you a percentage of your pension for it (war pesnions are awarded in percentages).

    Good luck with your claim.

  4. I posted my experiences of the WPA process in another thread on Arrse. Most importantly, get yourself a copy of your medical records by whatever means, fair or devious, as when you eventually start to suffer they'll have mysteriously vanished. Make sure that every defect and condition is on record, and that any hospital visit and treatment is also covered.

    When you feel the need to make a claim for a War Pension or Allowance for Lowered Standard of Occupation (in effect, if you were a helicopter pilot, but your condition means you can only get work as a truckie, you'll be entitled to compensation) WPA will get you an appointment with a local specialist who'll give you a once-over. Take your copied docs so he can get a thorough look at your history. You can pretty much guarantee that your knees, lower back and hearing will have suffered in service, although you may not have noticed an appreciable deterioration.

    Don't feel that revealing the damage caused by your service is in any way disloyal.

    I've found that WPA have been helpful, whenever I've needed their advice.
  5. I'll go one further (I'm another war pensioner). Claim for every conditon you think you have and do it as soon as possible. You have seven years after leaving during which they have to proove that your condition WASN'T attributable to service - after that it's the other way round BUT (and it's a real big but) you only get paid back to when you made your claim, so every day you don't claim could be costing you money.

    Secondly - they have a tendancy to award you some 'fcuk off money' and tell you that's your lot. Don't accept it. Appeal every time until you're sure you've got what you're entitled to.

    They will use various means to try and dissuade you from claioming but hold your nerve. They are civvies and although they belong to a department which is supposedly dedicated to looking after us they are employed by the government and they'll try to save money by keeping your claim as low as possible.

    As for 'Combat Stress' and other charities - they can't do a thing for you until you have seen your GP and had a referral to the correct civvy agency, so your GP is your first port of call on all occasions. Don't take no for an answer when asking for a referral.

    Another valuable piece of advice: play their game. Lay it on thick whilst appearing to be the big hard squaddy who doesn't really want help. Don't hold back. Tell them you have nightmares about your experiences and that you want to kill your wife/girlfriend when the red mist descends upon you. Tell then you feel like biting the heads off kittens.

    They'll try and con you so make sure you give them plenty food for thought.
  6. British legion were great, filled out all of my forms for me, civvi doc had not a clue so wrote down all my symptoms and problems. Make sure you civvi doctor gets a copy of your service medical notes so that they have a medical history to refer to. Claims below 19% are paid as a one off sum, above 19% are paid monthly for life. You can also upgrade the percentage if the problem gets worse and you are re-assessed.

    Good Luck D.D.
  7. One other thing - if you're still in - claim now before you come out.
  8. Never accept less than 19% without fighting tooth and nail on an appeal to get it higher.