War Pensions - What did you get???

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by sparkz77, Oct 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having recently applied for a further condition to be taken into account, I've just got the decision letter and wondered how my assessment compares to others...

BACKGROUND

My initial injury was a problem with an ankle which meant that I could continue with normal life, but it gave me problems if I did too much walking, and definitely couldn't run any more (having been a keen runner previously).

This was assessed at 6-14% in 2005 which equated to a one-off gratuity of £4640.

My further condition is osteoarthritis of a hip which has become very painful over the past year or so. I'm still able to work (I'm an electrician) but the joint clicks and I get severe pain in the hip and the knee. I'm permanently on strong painkillers and anti-inflammatories.

This has just been taken into account and my new assessment for all conditions is 20% (i.e. £29.02 per week).

HOW DOES THIS COMPARE TO YOUR CLAIM?

There seems to be very little on the web so that you can compare your claim to similar ones, so I'm inviting anyone who receives a War Pension to put share their experiences. Please quote the following information, stating in each case if the injury is for a single limb etc or both:

Accepted conditions inc severity, percentage or gratuity.

Please use a scale of severity of 1-10 on how manageable or painful your condition is. So my information would read:

Single ankle injury (3) + Single hip osteoarthritis (8) = 20%

Looking forward to your replies!

2. Why do you want to know?

Why don't I believe you are an electrician?

What was your job when serving?

3. Why do I want to know? Wouldn't you like to know if you're getting similar to everyone else?

Why don't you believe I'm an electrician? Surely that's for you to say. I hardly claimed I'm a brain surgeon.

What was my job whilst serving? I was a REME technician.

4. I get exactly the same as everyone else who has been graded the same as me.

Because you sound like one of those no win no fee arrseholes or possibly a (spit) journo.

REME Tech? What type?

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

It might carry more weight if you had some form on the board rather than bowling in with what could be a contentious question.

6. Oops, sounds like you're taking offence. None was intended.

As for the slur on my character, but I'm not a solicitor or a journalist. I am an electrician (my company is registered with NICEIC and JIB, as it happens).

Of course you got the same award as everyone who was graded as you. My grading was 20% which is about £29 per week, AFAIK. It's in the tables on the VA website.

It's the grading I am interested in, i.e. does everyone with injuries comparable to mine get the same percentage? I think there will be a certain amount of variance due to the fact that the decisions are made by a board of human beings.

All I was asking is would anyone like to share their experience. If you don't wish to do so, then feel free to ignore this thread but please do not take offence where none was intended.

7. Why is everyone who asks a genuine question here accused of being a journo? For fcuk sake the guy has injuries which will likely stay with him for life, all he wants to know is if got shafted. As mother always said, "if you have nothing nice to say, shut your face".

8. I got my letter from WPA today and looked on google to see if there were any forums about previous awards etc. I'm afraid I can't create any history with this forum as I only discovered it today. The question wasn't intended to be contentious, and at no point did I (or would I) ask people to identify themselves.

I apologise if any offence has been caused; as I said, none was intended. I really don't see the problem here; if you don't wish to participate, then it's your choice.

9. Pity you didn't listen to her

10. There has been much discussion on this and related subjects - try reading through the threads, there is also information available from the sources in my signature block.

If you are not happy, I would suggest that you appeal the decision.

You might also apply for DLA.

11. sparkz77 .. your intial pay out was just over double the amount i received (I damaged my back / leg). The pain and impacts sound comparable but I was graded as between 0 and 5% disabled ... full liability accepted by MoD.

Im not complaining, and I only registered the claim because now (5 years or so later) my injury has deteriorated over a 12 month period, and I wanted a base-mark to be recorded in the event of it getting much more serious

12. I have my med board for my War Pension at the beginning of November, I will let you know how it goes.

13. Im apparently listed at being at 27% (dont quote me on that i'd have to check my paperwork)disabled through back and ankle injuries. I received no lump sum payout but wasnt expecting anything at all, the doctor at my last posting filled out the paperwork and after checking it i signed it. His view was to just get the injuries registered so in later years if need be i could claim WD pension.
    I now get the same weekly payment of £29.02 so i would say your payment is about right.

14. Thanks for all sensible posts on this topic. I know there are those out there who think claiming a WP would be beneath them, but having had a hip operation last week and currently on crutches I feel perfectly justified - I was a picture of health before I enlisted.