War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by HydraJoe, Sep 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. [align=center]War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme[/align]

    Do you require advice on either War Pensions or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme?

    Are you considering making a claim? Have you made a claim that has been turned down? Have you been given a pension or compensation that you are not happy with? Have you already sent in an appeal but would like some advice about it?

    If yes, then the Royal British Legion is now organising advice clinics where one of their experienced Tribunal Representatives will be able to assist you. These are being held at RBL County Offices where you can telephone to make an appointment.

    If you live in the Hampshire and surrounding area you can contact the RBL County Office, Eastleigh, on 023 8062 0900. The next clinics will be held 28th September to 1st October and then 20th October to 22nd October 2009. If you are not local to this area then please contact your local RBL County Office.

    In addition, when Tribunals permit, there will also be a representative present at the Veterans Outreach Support (Portsmouth) and Advice Drop in Centre, held from 1400 to 1900 on the first Wednesday of every month, at the Royal Maritime Club, Queen Street, Portsmouth, but please telephone the RBL Hampshire Office on the number above first to ensure the representative will be in attendance and to make an appointment.
  2. Is the RBL means testing those asking for help?
  3. I dont understand the question. This thread is about advice about War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation scheme, claims and appeals. It is not about general need so your financial situation does not come into it.

    Up to now, if you had asked for an appeal against a War Pension / AFCS decision and elected to have an RBL Tribunal Representative to represent you, you were only given 30 minutes with that representative to go over your appeal on the day of the appeal immediately before you went before the Tribunal Committee. Consequently things were missed and appeals were being adjourned for further information etc, which was a waste of everyones time and money.

    The RBL are attempting to address this by giving those who have appealed, and wish to speak to an RBL Tribunal Representative, the opportunity to speak for a few hours with the advisor well in advance of the Tribunal, so he/she can help you with the paperwork and how you approach your appeal. They have gone further than that and will give general advice on considering a claim or an appeal against a refusal or the amount awarded, before any of the paperwork is actually raised. This can only be a good thing for all concerned and should have been implemented years ago.

    I have to say that I elected for an RBL Representative to speak for me at my Tribunal about 10 years ago and if it had not been for him, my appeal would not have been sucessfull as I was going down the wrong road. He spotted the vital point which made my appeal sucessful.


    hitback - if you are asking about an ex-service man, woman or their dependants that has approached the RBL, SSFA, Regimental Funds or an ex Service or Civilian Charity for assistance - then yes, they will be definitely be means tested every time as all the Grant Making bodies insist on it. That is how those applying for help are assessed as being IN NEED. The RBL or SSFA Caseworker will do the casework and present the paperwork to the relevant Grant Giving Bodies who will make the decision taking all income, outgoings and savings into acount.
  4. I agree it should have been done many years ago, better late then never....

    My reason for asking about means testing is simple: A close friend of mine was refused help due to attaining a large out of court award from the MoD. Simple really...

    Thank you for this updated information, but maybe having a rep at the final medical board would be of more use?


  5. BiscuitsAB

    BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

    Ex-squaddie was he? never one to miss out on a pint :wink:

    Thanks for the heads up though, I've just appealed as apparently mine spacticity hasn't got any worse since 1992! if only that was the case.
  6. No probs hitback. I was merely posting information on a service that is now being offered by TRBL. I do not have the knowledge to get into any indepth discussion about it.

    As for your frined, if he was a single person and had over £6,000 (£12,000 for a couple) of that award money left in savings then he would not be elligble for assistance from any of the Grant Giving Bodies thru RBL or SSAFA. However if and when he has depleted that money to below this level and was in need then he would certainly be considered. The savings amounts are only guidlines and circumstatnces are taken into account by the Grant Giving Bodies (future care required in the case of a disability for instance). This of course is for someone in general need and is nothing to do with any appeal he may wish to make when he could have the benefit of the RBL Tribunal Representatives advice, any out of court settlement would of course be taken into account by the Tribunal when making their decision.

    I do however agree with your last point, that you should have more advise before you go for your final medical board or even before that when deciding to get out or stay in the Forces after an injury. So many think that the Army / Navy / RAF / MOD are being very good to them by letting them "See their time out" and "get their full pension" when all they are doing is saving the gubberment money and in actual fact in the long term they would have been better off financialy into their old age if they had been medically discharged in the first place.
  7. Dont forget to also speak to your local SPVA Welfare Manager who can give you valuable information and assistance in applying for an increase in payments on a War Pension if your conditiion has worsened.

    Find your local SPVA Welfare Office here --> http://www.veterans-uk.info/welfare_data/search.html

    You can also ask your local War Pensions Committee for assistance - especially if you are not getting the service you expect from the SPVA - details here --> http://www.veterans-uk.info/wpcomits/index.html
  8. Thank you for the reply and all the links.