War Pension, Service Pension

Ok here goes

I currently receive a War Pension and a Service Pension. So 2 seperate payments
i am 50% pension
I now claim nothing else as the DWP has taken the ESA and DLA from me, so be it.
I wonder is they anything else i could claim?
I am unable to work.
Thanks in advance

Best advice I can give you is.....get proper advice from those that know.

The British Legion have a good reputation for finding their way around a very complicated system, and will follow up appeals etc. Don`t know exactly where you are located, but if you give Head Office a ring, they will open up a case for and get the local branch to make contact.

I`m in a similar position regarding ESA and loss of War Pension, but they did have my PIP/DLA returned to it`s rightfull owner...me!

Good luck anyway, as you are already aware probably, it`s a bloody minefield out there, so get some decent and correct advice.

Hello mate
Judging from your badge i would say i am from your neck of the woods.
You lost your war pension?
You can PM me if you like.

Hello mate
Judging from your badge i would say i am from your neck of the woods.
You lost your war pension?
You can PM me if you like.
Will PM you later this evening.

I didn`t actually lose the War Pension awarded, but the DWP took every penny awarded off the ESA i had been getting; in effect I don`t receive any ESA. It`s a bit more complicated than your usual claim as I had been working in Norway for nearly six years, paying Norwegian tax and insurance. The Norwegians embarrass us when the two systems are compared.

I`ll explain more in a PM mate.

Ok here goes

I currently receive a War Pension and a Service Pension. So 2 seperate payments
i am 50% pension
I now claim nothing else as the DWP has taken the ESA and DLA from me, so be it.
I wonder is they anything else i could claim?
I am unable to work.
Thanks in advance
War Pension Mobility Supplement is slightly more than you get on DLA. Have a look through the link below, scroll through the bumf to where it explains the supplements. Once you've read them give veterans uk a call and ask for advice on how to pursue a claim for those you meet the criteria for and I'd suggest you would almost certainly get WP Mobility if you've been on DLA:

War Pension Scheme: what you need to know

Thanks for the advice dun_n_dusted, i will definitely contact them.
I actually feel like i was on the wrong thing in the first place. They have gradually taken away everything apart from my WDP and my AFAB. So basically now i get nothing else. If that is correct i will accept that however it seems to me that most seem to be claiming more.
I will certainly explore my options though.
Thanks again

Thanks for the advice dun_n_dusted, i will definitely contact them.
I actually feel like i was on the wrong thing in the first place. They have gradually taken away everything apart from my WDP and my AFAB. So basically now i get nothing else. If that is correct i will accept that however it seems to me that most seem to be claiming more.
I will certainly explore my options though.
Thanks again
As an afterthought, you may want to consider asking for a visit from veterans welfare team:

About us

If applicable apply for PERSONAL INDEPENDENTS PAYMENT, it is not means tested.

Ask the Veterans UK to help you fill the forms in as they know the buzz words and what to put in the relevant boxes. (Remember to fill the forms in as it is your worse day/painful etc etc).

I applied at the end of last year and I thought I was just going through a paper work exercise. I was awarded the standard rate for daily living but I have appealed this to get the enhanced rate as advise again by the Veterans UK.

Veterans UK HELPLINE; 0808 1914 218 or 02392 702232. www.gov.uk/mod

If applicable apply for PERSONAL INDEPENDENTS PAYMENT, it is not means tested.

Ask the Veterans UK to help you fill the forms in as they know the buzz words and what to put in the relevant boxes. (Remember to fill the forms in as it is your worse day/painful etc etc).

I applied at the end of last year and I thought I was just going through a paper work exercise. I was awarded the standard rate for daily living but I have appealed this to get the enhanced rate as advise again by the Veterans UK.

Veterans UK HELPLINE; 0808 1914 218 or 02392 702232. www.gov.uk/mod
If he's just been punted from DLA he's extremely unlikely to be considered for PIP!

If he's just been punted from DLA he's extremely unlikely to be considered for PIP!
So was I and I had the ESA stopped as well. (Well not paying it as my pension is more than the Government stated monthly living rate). I am challenging the DWP through the mandatory appeals on ESA.

PIP is not means tested and I was granted it at standard rate. I am also challenging that decision as well through the mandatory appeals system.

The DWP team that deal with ESA do not deal with PIP and vice versa.

The indiviual I spoke to at the DWP before claiming PIP stated he was surprised that more veterans do not apply for it. All it requires is a phone call to have the form sent out, fill it in (help can be obtained from the Veterans UK and other forces charities), send it off (Recorded post), attended an assessment (always take a friend to take notes) and ensure that you tell the assessor everything as to how your injuries/disabilities affect you. If you do not tell them they can not award the correct number of points required.

So was I and I had the ESA stopped as well. (Well not paying it as my pension is more than the Government stated monthly living rate). I am challenging the DWP through the mandatory appeals on ESA.

PIP is not means tested and I was granted it at standard rate. I am also challenging that decision as well through the mandatory appeals system.

The DWP team that deal with ESA do not deal with PIP and vice versa.

The indiviual I spoke to at the DWP before claiming PIP stated he was surprised that more veterans do not apply for it. All it requires is a phone call to have the form sent out, fill it in (help can be obtained from the Veterans UK and other forces charities), send it off (Recorded post), attended an assessment (always take a friend to take notes) and ensure that you tell the assessor everything as to how your injuries/disabilities affect you. If you do not tell them they can not award the correct number of points required.
I'm well aware that PIP is not means tested, I was on DLA Care & Mobility (from med disccharge in 2012 and before my WP & AFCS GIP) but moved my mobility component to the WPS as I was on 50%. I was then moved onto PIP when the time came. Strangely enough on my PIP assessment I didn't get enough points to qualify for mobility even though I kept telling them I was not supposed to be assessed for it as it was now a WPS issue, but got a higher rate of the Care Component for some reason.

I never claimed ESA as there was no possibility of me working again, certainly not full time. With 3 army pensions, War Pension at 50%, very small AFCS GIP and PIP Care I'd feel like I was taking the urine if I tried to claim for something else.

The point I was attempting to make regarding him being unlikely to get PIP after being binned off DLA is that very similar assessment criteria are used but marked much more harshly. Hence failure to continue on DLA, unlikely to qualify for PIP.

You are correct though in implying he should challenge the decision, it costs nothing for the claimant and with help, advice and a decent representative, the chances are fairly good the decision may be overturned. Going it alone is not a good idea, junkies and blaggers get free welfare reps to assist them through the process as they know all the tricks!

Challenge a benefit decision (mandatory reconsideration)

Latest Threads