War Pension Scheme Back Injury Question

shirl286

Clanker
Afternoon All. I was recently advised by the RBL after years of sporadic back pain to apply for a War Pension. Injured my back like a retard on Otterburn in 2003, fell down a wet slope carrying 2 pine poles - yeah d**khead I know. Anyways spent a fair bit of time inside and out of the physio - pain has got really bad over the past few years so went to the Drs yesterday, low and behold have a fairly substantial injury to my L3/L4 discs which had been masked by my good fitness pre leaving the services in 2010 - I am now awaiting various orthopaedic appointments and possibly surgery. Now I am an unhealthy civvy at a desk it is manifesting itself - still the Diazipam and Codeine are a good mix. Has anyone else suffered injuries to thier lumbar region and applied for a War Pension? If so, what kind of assessment did ATOS give you (apart from 'not a very good one') and if you don't mind me asking, what sort of percentage you got if successful?

Thanks

Shirl

E

EScotia

The atos doctors doing War Pension assessments are actually quite good. As my back injury is only one of many injuries that go towards my WP I can't give you any idea of what % you may get, I suppose that will depend on whether it shows up in your army medical docs and how badly the assessor believes it affects you.

shirl286

Clanker
Thanks, I am fortunate it is all documented, as far as to the point it has "Subject was given ridiculous order" :) Will see how ATOS goes then, just awaiting a date

shirl286

Clanker
Well, if anyones interested SVPA have been crazily quick. Have my ATOS assessment in 10 days time. Will keep the thread posted. I notice SVPA have started digging, hard, writing to ask of any injuries pre service I could have hid pre joining up.....

shirl286

Clanker
Well my assessment was ok. Straight forward and the lady was actually very empathetic and not leading in any questions. A quick physical and gave me lots of talking time. However I emphasize that understanding what I was going to be asked helped and that I answered honestly on what my worst day is like.

gaz926

Swinger
Hi Shirl,

My first post on here but just wanted to give you so info as i also started my war pension claim with back injuries. I am currently at 30%- 20 for back and 10 for associated depression. I have put a deterioration claim in for back as i have been told by the surgen that the back will need to be fused, this was from an RTA in Bosnia. I also have two other claims ongoing and at the 12 month point, PTSD, Neck injuries which they rejected in 2007(new medical evidance to support claim-MRI) now need operation on neck. Its a long slog but just wanted to let you know that i managed to get 20% for back injuries.

shirl286

Clanker
Hi Gaz, cheers for your reply. Sorry to hear about your injuries, I do really appeciate your information though. My back is the most serious part of 3 injuries I am trying to claim a war pension for. Although I have not heard anything for 2 months now after a speedy start. May need to prod them along......

gaz926

Swinger
Hi mate, mine has been with them for 12 months and caseworker told me that it is now with the decision makers and should hear from them soon. They haven't sent me for a medical either so not sure if that's a good or bad thing as I did send in medical evidence and a recent medical report from capita. Send my claim in back in May 2014 and also November. Hope I haven't got to long to wait

shirl286

Clanker
All the best with yours Gaz, hope it turns out the way you want. Anyways an update also for anyone following this....I actually got a prod from SVPA this morning asking me to chase up my Dr's, apparently the only thing holding me back from going to a decision is the report from them, which they have had for 11 weeks. Needless to say they have had a probing phone call this morning......

shirl286

Clanker
Well, I am amazed, no I haven't had a decision yet but a nice letter apologizing for the length of time taken over making a decision and to contact SVPA with any queries. Anyways it goes without saying that I feel this will still take quite a while to resolve....

gaz926

Swinger
I also had one, i did get to speak with my case worker who stated that my file has been with the decision maker/doctor since the 27th April. He also explained to me that the doctor had been off for a while and that she also doesn't work a full week, so god only knows when i will get the decision.

gaz926

Swinger
I also had one, i did get to speak with my case worker who stated that my file has been with the decision maker/doctor since the 27th April. He also explained to me that the doctor had been off for a while and that she also doesn't work a full week, so god only knows when i will get the decision.

I put in a claim for a War Pension in November 2014. My claim is for PTSD,the event happened in 1978 while serving with AMF(L) in Norway. An RAF Puma crashed killing the 3 crewmen and I was involved with the Recovery,Transportation of the remains of the Mountain.
I had no effects from this incident until Remembrance Sunday 2012.
In March 2015 I was given a date for ATOS Medical ( it was cancelled twice) eventually did see the MO.
Since then all I have received from Them is a letter this Friday saying " we are dealing with your claim as quickly as we can" and if I need more info about War Pensions to let them know.
Plus a letter saying they are changing from SPVA to DBS
Anyway too all who are waiting on a claim good luck
This is my first post

Posted via iPhone

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

shirl286

Clanker
And here I thought I was special getting a letter....;) Good luck to you both. I know I have only been waiting 6 months and you both much longer but i really wish they'd hurry up....fed up of forking out £30+ a month on meds related to it all when I believe they should be paying......

gaz926

Swinger
Just a quick update; my claim is now with the administration team as a decision has been made. Anybody know how long it is before I get the letter off them? I heard it was around a week or so. Thanks

gaz926

Swinger
Thanks mate, wasn't even asked to attend a medical this time so don't feel to confident although I did send a recent medical examination document in with my claim.

Snookie

Clanker
Just a quick update; my claim is now with the administration team as a decision has been made. Anybody know how long it is before I get the letter off them? I heard it was around a week or so. Thanks
Hopefully then mate it's with the payment section..if I was you I would be quite hopeful..Good luck.

gaz926

Swinger
Well just had my letter, 10% for ptsd and nothing for deterioration of back even thou mri shows it and nothing for my neck as they say it's age related even thou I'm 37 and had the accident 10 years ago. Tribunal for me, combat stress to represent me for ptsd and will contact the legion with regards to my other claims. Hope everyone else gets a better result than me.

Well just had my letter, 10% for ptsd and nothing for deterioration of back even thou mri shows it and nothing for my neck as they say it's age related even thou I'm 37 and had the accident 10 years ago. Tribunal for me, combat stress to represent me for ptsd and will contact the legion with regards to my other claims. Hope everyone else gets a better result than me.

Good luck with the tribunal mate
Still not had my decision yet but RBL emailed me with details of their appeals section. So maybe something going on the RBL know but we don't (yet)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS)

Latest Threads