War Pension rates 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by rockape34, Jan 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/a1-2012.pdf Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit Circular 2012 (attached) it states:

I could only find the 2011-2012 rates at Veterans-info so where does this war pension increase of 5.2% come from (seems too good to be true)?

*Should be a figure 8, however it then posts as smiley :crazy:

Attached Files:

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Its the then current CPI rate. CPI being the preference of the Government over RPI as it is marginally lower (on average 1.5% to 2%)

3. I read somewhere that whilst the CPI rate is used, it has been capped at 5%. The CPI rate for pension increases is taken from September of the previous year if I remember correctly.

4. It seems odd to me that the serving soldiers would be getting a 1% rise over 2 years whilst war pensioners get 5.2% in 1 year (I'm not complaining as I am in receipt of WP), the last percentage rise was more or less the same as those serving.

@ eodmatt - yes the CPI rate is from September 2011.

5. From CPI, what bit can you not read? The rate issued are for 2012/13, not much point updating them whilst they are still being paid (until April 2012). The Government announced it at the Budget debate in November it is the rate as at September. It is not too good to be true it is CPI.

6. The Pensions are index linked (to the CPI), wages are not, although they do get an annual Increment = 2% or more. In effect serving soldiers will get a 55 increase over two years - before the increased food and accomodation charges kick in.

Shiny

7. ... thanks shiny