War Pension Info & Questions

D

Deleted 139028

Good spot: I'd be interested in an answer to this.

Maybe one for @Forces Pension Society ?
Received this very prompt reply from the good people at veterans uk:

In order for your Service Invaliding Pension (SIP) to become a Service Attributable Pension (SAP tax free) the criteria would be, you would have to be receiving either a War Disablement Pension or Armed Forces Compensation and have been medically discharged. If the Principle Invaliding Condition (PIC main reason for discharge) matches the condition you receive your War Disablement Pension or Armed Forces Compensation for then you can be considered for a SAP. It would not matter what % your War Disablement Pension is set at.

If you feel you fit the criteria for a SAP then please contact us and we will then send the necessary forms to JPAC.

Snookie

Old-Salt
Received this very prompt reply from the good people at veterans uk:

In order for your Service Invaliding Pension (SIP) to become a Service Attributable Pension (SAP tax free) the criteria would be, you would have to be receiving either a War Disablement Pension or Armed Forces Compensation and have been medically discharged. If the Principle Invaliding Condition (PIC main reason for discharge) matches the condition you receive your War Disablement Pension or Armed Forces Compensation for then you can be considered for a SAP. It would not matter what % your War Disablement Pension is set at.

If you feel you fit the criteria for a SAP then please contact us and we will then send the necessary forms to JPAC.
And as a little footnote, if your condition worsens and you get a war pension % increase for it,your service pension increases aswell ,as happened to me last year( which came as an unexpected surprise as I wasn’t aware of it).
However it only applies if it’s the main condition you got medically discharged for.

D

Deleted 139028

My understanding is that the tax-free status would apply only if your pension is an invaliding pension and you were discharged for the PIC that has attracted the higher War Pension Scheme award.
That was my understanding too, but in most cases it's the MoD having their cake and eating it i.e. you can't apply for a War Pension whilst serving so, unless your injury is quite severe, you won't get a SIP and if you do, as your conditions deteriorate over the years it becomes more difficult to be successfully awarded a deterioration claim whilst your SIP/pension only goes up with CPI.

In my case I didn't know I had to apply for a WP myself (and I was a SNCO) until a number of years after leaving the regulars, in fact I was on FTRS when I found out, but as I was chasing an NRPS post I didn't/couldn't apply. The 50% WP I currently receive only started once I suffered a serious injury* on NRPS that got me medically discharged, I applied for a WP myself and got to that % through adding other documented injuries and deterioration claims (after originally getting awarded 20%) which again I discovered I could do instead of getting advised during the discharge process or via veterans uk.

I do think there's a case for the MoD to consider reviewing the cases of those receiving a Pension & WP and potentially changing their Pension to a SAP, but tbh it could cost them a lot of money and the applicants a lot of heartache/struggle.

To complicate my case further, I was AFPS75 during reg service, FTRS & NRPS, but the way the MoD do the pensions (seperatley instead of rolling them together) means I'm unlikely to ever have my regular pension amended to a SAP.

ETA For clarity

The injury I suffered on NRPS was covered by AFCS, the War Pension I receive covers 11 different injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mosquito

Old-Salt
How do you find the right Armed Forces Pension Scheme statutory instrument for your circumstances? The Gov.uk page Armed Forces Pension Scheme 1975 Regulations lists seven different versions of AFPS 75 for those in the Army, but none of them go further back than 2010...

I was in the Army, injured on 9 August 2003 and discharged on 15 October 2006 and get an AFAB pension under AFPS75. Is the relevant AFPS75 legislation that I need to find the one applicable for my date of injury or date of discharge or something else?

Some good info in this thread, thanks to all for posting.

I have just been medical discharged, my principle condition has already recieved a payment from the AFCS as the injury was sustained in 2019. Will this make my invalidating pension tax free?

I suffered an injury in 2004 which I am just about to submit a claim for under the war pension scheme. I suffered a collapsed lung and ruptured spleen (splenectomy) whilst on duty, this was my secondary reason for medical discharge but I was wondering if anyone had claimed for a similar injury?

I am expecting to get 19% like so many and then have to make an appeal to achieve over 20% but would be good to know if anyone experienced anything similar. Thanks all

How do you find the right Armed Forces Pension Scheme statutory instrument for your circumstances? The Gov.uk page Armed Forces Pension Scheme 1975 Regulations lists seven different versions of AFPS 75 for those in the Army, but none of them go further back than 2010...

I was in the Army, injured on 9 August 2003 and discharged on 15 October 2006 and get an AFAB pension under AFPS75. Is the relevant AFPS75 legislation that I need to find the one applicable for my date of injury or date of discharge or something else?
I believe the pension scheme applicable in every case is the scheme in force at your enlistment date, unless you opted for a later one. (In most cases, I believe it was disadvantageous to do so)?
I was not aware that there was more than one AFPS1975 scheme, but your enlistment date should apply to whichever one it is.

AFAB came into being because HMRC required 'compensation' (so attrib benefits) to be removed from pension scheme rules by a certain date. AFCS came in on 6 April 2005 but consideration had to be given to AFPS 75 members who were invalided after that date but with conditions the origins of which predated AFCS. So, Mosquito is still an AFPS 75 member but is affected by the above.

I haven't been able to find any earlier AFPS 75 SIs but will see what HQ might have.

zzrflyer

Clanker
Anyone applied for A.L.S.O? if so, any timelines?..I applied in January 22 and last letter was 24th May asking details for previous employment, I have now dropped to a 3 day week as couldn't manage a 5 day week anymore.