Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War Pension Info & Questions

Reds2501

Swinger
The War Pension Scheme (WPS) is separate to the AFPS Service Attributable Pension (SAP). An adjustment of one does not necessarily mean an adjustment of the other. AFPS SAP could change if the original assessment of the condition is wrong. The WPS assessment responds to deterioration etc. If you are in any doubt, you need to contact Veterans UK.
Thanks for the prompt response FPS; much appreciated.

If I could ask for advice on my War Disablement Pension claim.

I recently received an award of 6-14% for a back injury I sustained in 1998 due to a Service Cause.
My back has given me constant pain throughout my Army career. I have had multiple operations to reduce pain.
The injury has severely slowed my progression through the ranks and excluded me from some career paths entirely.

There seems to be no information on back injuries within the war pension system.

Despite treatment, I have continuing constant pain and discomfort from nerve root irritation, reduced mobility, and impaired agility, with a probability of surgery required in the future.

The Royal British Legion signposted me to Veterans UK, who gave me a link to the appeal forms. There appears to be no one to talk to about this.

I am unsure if this is a fair award for my injury and whether I should appeal?

(Edit: I typed the year wrong. Reads now 1998 instead of 1989.)

Last edited:
If I could ask for advice on my War Disablement Pension claim.

I recently received an award of 6-14% for a back injury I sustained in 1989 due to a Service Cause.
My back has given me constant pain throughout my Army career. I have had multiple operations to reduce pain.
The injury has severely slowed my progression through the ranks and excluded me from some career paths entirely.

There seems to be no information on back injuries within the war pension system.

Despite treatment, I have continuing constant pain and discomfort from nerve root irritation, reduced mobility, and impaired agility, with a probability of surgery required in the future.

The Royal British Legion signposted me to Veterans UK, who gave me a link to the appeal forms. There appears to be no one to talk to about this.

I am unsure if this is a fair award for my injury and whether I should appeal?
War Pensions Welfare Service were very helpful when I applied. Perhaps it depends on which scheme you are eligible for?

Thanks, Bladesman,
I have tried the Veterans' Welfare Service who seem to also call themselves the MoD Veterans Welfare Scheme who seem to be the Veterans UK. Anyhow they just forwarded me the link to the War pension appeal form.
I don't know if it is just because of Covid, but no one will talk to me unless I need the Samaritans. I am not at that stage. Yet!
I applied through the War Pension Scheme. I see a lot of percentages quoted on this forum, and obviously, I don't know the nature or extent of these injuries nor should I. I am hoping with so many on here that have been through the system that they may guide me. Is 6-14% fair and just be grateful, or put myself through more stress and appeal!
Whatever I decide it looks like I'm on my own unless I can find a charity or a body that is not just signposting me somewhere else.
(Edit: I have found the ar Pensions Welfare Service in Belfast. I will give them a go.)

Thanks, Bladesman,
I have tried the Veterans' Welfare Service who seem to also call themselves the MoD Veterans Welfare Scheme who seem to be the Veterans UK. Anyhow they just forwarded me the link to the War pension appeal form.
I don't know if it is just because of Covid, but no one will talk to me unless I need the Samaritans. I am not at that stage. Yet!
I applied through the War Pension Scheme. I see a lot of percentages quoted on this forum, and obviously, I don't know the nature or extent of these injuries nor should I. I am hoping with so many on here that have been through the system that they may guide me. Is 6-14% fair and just be grateful, or put myself through more stress and appeal!
Whatever I decide it looks like I'm on my own unless I can find a charity or a body that is not just signposting me somewhere else.
(Edit: I have found the ar Pensions Welfare Service in Belfast. I will give them a go.)
If it makes a difference, I am on AFPS75 for my regular service pension. At the time I applied for a war pension, I had already been a civilian for a few years, following completion of 22 years service.
The burden of proof seems to have shifted In later claims. If you are on AFPS scheme later than AFPS75, you may find your application treated differently.
You probably need more expert advice than my anecdotal muttering scan provide.
My initial claim was a common one. My joints are basically buggered by the load bearing demands of service life. I have been accepted as suffering from early onset osteo arthritis. That is very common among service leavers during my service, and the Army were obliged to accept a degree of responsibility for this condition.
Initially I was assessed at 20%, and following their review, it was increased to 40%. It gets worse as I get older, but I have opted to retire in tropical climes, where the effects can be ameliorated somewhat.
Considering a return to UK, where there may be more help available for such common orthopedic issues.
Without knowing your situation and lacking more info on the circumstances, I would be reluctant to be more specific.
All I will say is good luck, and keep trying, but tread carefully. As far as I know, I’m one of the fortunate ones. My application was judged by different and less onerous criteria, because the service was obliged to accept a degree of responsibility for the claimed condition, and any award is reflected in that judgement.

I am on AFPS75. hence why I am claiming when I finished my 22 years.
The Secretary of State has accepted that my injury is Service Cause. I do think I will take my claim further, but finding expert advice is eluding me. I get signposted to Veterans UK who are not there to help me but to process my claim.
Thanks, Bladesman for your help it is very much appreciated, and I hope that someone on this forum will have advice on who to contact. The Royal British Legion told me that they don't give advice on War Pensions claims and directed me to Veterans UK.
I know it isn't within there remit but I have asked BLESMA if there is anyone I can contact.

Latest Threads