War Pension Info & Questions

ALSO (Allowance for Lowered Standard of Occupation) can be claimed if you are unable to do work that is similar to your regular occupation so no, I doubt very much you will lose it. To get ALSO you need to be on at least 40% War Pension and be under 65, but you retain it after that age.

There's some more info on the application form (obviously no need to apply if you already have it):

https://assets.publishing.service.g...s/attachment_data/file/709831/WPS0003ALSO.pdf
Thank you so much for your reply, I do get a war pension and ALSO , I was getting a bit worried that I would loose ALSO as well when I got to 65.
I’ve already been told that I will loose state benefit , loosing ALSO as well on top would leave me out on the street.

Thank you so much for your reply, I do get a war pension and ALSO , I was getting a bit worried that I would loose ALSO as well when I got to 65.
I’ve already been told that I will loose state benefit , loosing ALSO as well on top would leave me out on the street.
I obviously don't know your circumstances but if you paid the full NI Cont towards your state pension surely that's untouchable?

I obviously don't know your circumstances but if you paid the full NI Cont towards your state pension surely that's untouchable?
I don't believe he was on about his State Pension, rather referring to Benefits.

@BenGun you should already know but in case you don't, from age 65 as you're on at least 40% War Pension (because you get ALSO) then you get an additional Age Allowance. This years amount for 40% - 50% is £12.40 per week, equates to £644.80 per year.

I knew nothing about age allowance, without pushing my luck , how do I go about trying to get it.
Correct I’m not on about state pension , I’ve been notified I will get that in full starting 27 Nov.
I was getting ESA for 5 months after being laid off , that’s stops next week.

I knew nothing about age allowance, without pushing my luck , how do I go about trying to get it.
Correct I’m not on about state pension , I’ve been notified I will get that in full starting 27 Nov.
I was getting ESA for 5 months after being laid off , that’s stops next week.
Age allowance should be automatic but you can check by ringing veterans uk on 0808 1914 2 18

or email on Veterans-uk@mod.gov.uk

Sorry for cutting in, I get a War Pension, and due to get my deferred pension when turn 60 next year. Do I get both or does the War Pension stop when I get my deferred military pension?

Just for completeness, this is the rule that the reassessment will be considered under. As I explained when I emailed Tracklink, the attributable benefit rules had to be removed from the occupational pension rules, and it certainly confuses people:

B.10 Changes in the degree of disablement: annual compensation payment and attributable lump sums
(1) This rule applies if a person’s relevant degree of disablement changes after the time when it is first determined on an assessment under article 42 of the Service Pensions Order or as a result of a revision under article 44 of that Order.
(2) Where a person’s relevant degree of disablement increases—
(a) then—
(i) the level of the annual compensation payment shall be adjusted in accordance with the revised assessment of the relevant degree of disablement; and
(ii) if the degree of disablement increases from less than 20% to 20% or above the person will be entitled to an annual compensation payment.
(3) Where there is a decrease in the person’s relevant degree of disablement after the date of the person’s discharge such that the degree of disablement is less than 20% the person shall not be entitled to an annual compensation payment in respect of the period beginning with the day following the making of the revised assessment.
(4) Where there is a decrease in the person’s relevant degree of disablement within 12 months after the date of the persons’ discharge to not less than 20% the level of the annual compensation payment shall be adjusted in accordance with the revised assessment of the relevant degree of disablement.
(5) Where there is a decrease in the person’s relevant degree of disablement more than 12 months after the date of the person’s discharge and the revised relevant degree of disablement is not less than or is equal to 20% the decrease in the relevant degree of disablement shall be disregarded.
(6) Where after a decrease in a person’s relevant degree of disablement to less than 20% there is subsequently an increase in that person’s relevant degree of disablement such that it equals or exceeds 20% that person shall be entitled to an annual compensation payment.
(7) Where as a result of this rule a person’s annual compensation payment is to be adjusted as from a date after that on which the person first became entitled to an annual compensation payment then the amount of annual compensation payment which a person becomes entitled to following the adjustment is determined by reference to amount of annual compensation which would have been applicable in the person’s case if the person’s relevant degree of disablement at the time the person originally became entitled to an annual compensation payment had been the degree following the revision.
(8) Where a person has been awarded a lump sum in respect of a disablement and that person’s relevant degree of disablement is increased then the amount of lump sum payable may be increased where it has been determined that the relevant degree of disablement determined at the date of reassessment should have been the relevant degree of disablement at the date of discharge.
(9) Where as a result of this rule the level of a person’s annual compensation payment or attributable lump sum is to be adjusted it shall also be increased in accordance with rule E.9 and the increases under rule E.9 shall be determined as if the increased compensation payment or increased lump sum had been payable at the time the person originally became entitled to that payment or lump sum and any increases that would have been applicable under rule E.9 before the time of adjustment had been calculated accordingly.
(10) Where as a result of this rule a person’s annual compensation payment is to be adjusted or a person becomes entitled to an annual compensation payment the revised level of annual compensation payment shall be payable from the period beginning with the day following the making of the revised assessment.
(11) Where a person’s lump sum is increased any amount already paid by way of lump sum will be deducted from any additional lump sum which is payable.
I thank M for posting the above, in my particular situation I was originally awarded either 30 or 40% and now at 80% plus. The initial award came with a small lump sum and no other lump sums have been made.

Does the information above apply to the 75 scheme and a further award would be due in my case, if the answer is yes how would I apply for it.

I don’t have much luck but fingers crossed

So I contacted the legion and they can’t help (yet again) so I’m stuck basically, but have noticed that the legion don’t seem to want to help anymore. Has anyone else experienced this.

So I contacted the legion and they can’t help (yet again) so I’m stuck basically, but have noticed that the legion don’t seem to want to help anymore. Has anyone else experienced this.
If I understand correctly, you want to know if your Armed Forces Attributable Benefits rate should be increased to match your War Pension rate. If this is correct, have you actually spoken with Glasgow, who administer attributable benefits? They are on 0141 224 3774 or
DBS-afpsi-authority@mod.uk
Be very clear what you are asking them to do.

Re RBL, in my experience they are variable in response to requests for representation. The contact centre has always been the best starting point for me, on 0808 802 8080.

Good luck

I expect this has been covered and is buried in a thread somewhere but I have a mum on speed dial .
My father a retired Brigadier is about to hit the big 90, and is not looking from a health perspective very good at the moment.
He served from 1948 till 84 and is on a military pension and a war disability one (hearing loss!).
The big question for my Mums peace of mind is what percentage if any of his Military pension does she receive if any on his death?
Thanks for the help guys.

I believe it’s 50% of his actual pension (assuming AFPS 75) but nothing from his War Pension unless his death is attributable to hos invaliding condition.

I expect this has been covered and is buried in a thread somewhere but I have a mum on speed dial .
My father a retired Brigadier is about to hit the big 90, and is not looking from a health perspective very good at the moment.
He served from 1948 till 84 and is on a military pension and a war disability one (hearing loss!).
The big question for my Mums peace of mind is what percentage if any of his Military pension does she receive if any on his death?
Thanks for the help guys.
It depends what your Dad opted for in 1973 (I am assuming they were married during his service - sorry but I have to say this as the post-retirement widow rule would kick in if they were not). In 1973 the widow's pension increased from 1/3 of the member's pension to 1/2. Those in service at the time were invited to buy back their previous service rights so that their widow would have 1/2 rate pension for their entire service - lots didn't.

That means that your Mum could have some 1/3 rate pension and some 1/2 rate pension.

The best thing to do wis to drop a line to Vets UK and ask them what your Mum's pension would be and ask specifically for confirmation as to whether your Dad paid for the 1/3 rate to be counted as 1/2.

Hope that helps. Come back if you have further questions

It depends what your Dad opted for in 1973 (I am assuming they were married during his service - sorry but I have to say this as the post-retirement widow rule would kick in if they were not). In 1973 the widow's pension increased from 1/3 of the member's pension to 1/2. Those in service at the time were invited to buy back their previous service rights so that their widow would have 1/2 rate pension for their entire service - lots didn't.

That means that your Mum could have some 1/3 rate pension and some 1/2 rate pension.

The best thing to do wis to drop a line to Vets UK and ask them what your Mum's pension would be and ask specifically for confirmation as to whether your Dad paid for the 1/3 rate to be counted as 1/2.

Hope that helps. Come back if you have further questions
Thanks so much for that.
Yes they were married back in 1952 so she did the 26 houses in as many years gig!
Very much appreciate your help.