Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

war pension award.

Fus2505

Old-Salt
Hi
After almost 18 months of waiting and pestering I've been awarded a WP at 30% . That's for Panic Disorder and PTSD. They say they have taken into consideration the how the condition affects my daily life. To be honest after reading some of the threads on here i wasn't expecting anything at all, so to be acknowledged was a bonus.
The only problem i have now is that in the mean time whilst waiting for the claim to come through i was advised to Claim DLA until the claim was awarded. Im under the impression that the backdated award will have to be used to pay back the DLA i was awarded . I fully expected that. That isn't the Problem. The DLA was awarded at the higher rate care of £82 and lower rate mobility at £21. Yet the WP is 30% which you are aware is £53.46.
This leaves me with a deficit of almost £50 a week that i cant pay back for what i obviously now owe. I only got the award today which should of been a cause for celebration yet i feel i'm in a worse position. I dont believe they have taken into account the care needed during the night when i fall out of bed, fighting , Screaming and sleep walking and the tireless work my wife has to do to ensure my safety. I really dont know what to do. Please help.

Hi
After almost 18 months of waiting and pestering I've been awarded a WP at 30% . That's for Panic Disorder and PTSD. They say they have taken into consideration the how the condition affects my daily life. To be honest after reading some of the threads on here i wasn't expecting anything at all, so to be acknowledged was a bonus.
The only problem i have now is that in the mean time whilst waiting for the claim to come through i was advised to Claim DLA until the claim was awarded. Im under the impression that the backdated award will have to be used to pay back the DLA i was awarded . I fully expected that. That isn't the Problem. The DLA was awarded at the higher rate care of £82 and lower rate mobility at £21. Yet the WP is 30% which you are aware is £53.46.
This leaves me with a deficit of almost £50 a week that i cant pay back for what i obviously now owe. I only got the award today which should of been a cause for celebration yet i feel i'm in a worse position. I dont believe they have taken into account the care needed during the night when i fall out of bed, fighting , Screaming and sleep walking and the tireless work my wife has to do to ensure my safety. I really dont know what to do. Please help.

Go back to the RBL. Can't be the first time that this has happened mucka....

Just out of interest, did your colleagues who were there with you and experienced and endured what you did/have, also suffer PTSD?

This doesn't sound right, DLA is not means tested. You would only receive it if entitled to it, regardless of what compensation package you receive.

You shouldn't have to pay any DLA back and should continue to receive it as well as your WP payment.

You don't repay any DLA if you get a WP. DLA is not a means tested benefit,it is an allowance that anyone with a disability working or not is entitled too if they meet the criteria.
Also an award of DLA does not stop any form of Pension or Benefit.
So if your awarded a WP you can also claim DLA

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS)

Fus2505

Old-Salt
Yeah Nato Standard123; Another Lad is having to go through the same ordeal as me at this moment in time. i have a feeling his will also go to panel and stay at the bottom of a huge pile until they decide to blow the dust off it..
Thanks lads i really appreciate the quick response .. although i've now realised its actually the ESA i have to worry about and the huge chunk of the back pay they will gobble up..

engee

LE
WP is taken into account, but it's still possible to get WP & ESA even if it's a reduced amount.

Fus2505

Old-Salt
I really dont understand it at all. All ive seemed to grasp is your allowed £10 from your WP and then the rest is clawed back to into the ESA . I have no problem with that at all. Its just not transparent enough.. Bullshit Baffles Brains approach seems to be working.

engee

LE
The Govt has a set amount you need to live on. Your income is added up and if you get more than the allowed amount, the excess is taken from your ESA allowance. That's pretty much it in a nutshell, but obviously WAY more complicated than that when they explain it to you.

The British Legion are absolute legends with all this and have a dedicated team to help if you need it. They're particularly good for appeals to decisions apparently.

I really dont understand it at all. All ive seemed to grasp is your allowed £10 from your WP and then the rest is clawed back to into the ESA . I have no problem with that at all. Its just not transparent enough.. Bullshit Baffles Brains approach seems to be working.

Need a brain to be baffled mucka ;-)

The Govt has a set amount you need to live on. Your income is added up and if you get more than the allowed amount, the excess is taken from your ESA allowance. That's pretty much it in a nutshell, but obviously WAY more complicated than that when they explain it to you.

The British Legion are absolute legends with all this and have a dedicated team to help if you need it. They're particularly good for appeals to decisions apparently.

Ok I get ESA (Support Group) I also get DLA (Low Rate Mobility&Low Rate Care) I also get IIDB at 22%
I also get Housing Benefit at a reduced rate,but do not get any Council Tax benefit except the standard 25% single reduction.
HB work out how much I get by starting with the amount the law says I need to live on.
Then they reduce the award by my income ie
ESA
IIDB
AFPS75
But they disregard
DLA and any savings I declared,that then gives a figure above and beyond what the Law says I need. From that figure my HB is set.
However my ESA (Contribution based) plus the Support Group element is not reduced it has stayed at same rate since switch from Incapacity Benefit.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS)

engee

LE
I was going to scan my letter from 10 Mar, but then thought better of it. Suffice to say, mine is a new claim and the amount I am entitled to has been reduced due to my income, which is an Army Pension and a War Pension.
This is from the gov.uk website:

What you’ll get
How much ESA you get depends on:

• your circumstances, eg income
  • the type of ESA you qualify for
  • where you are in the assessment process

Fus2505

Old-Salt
I was going to scan my letter from 10 Mar, but then thought better of it. Suffice to say, mine is a new claim and the amount I am entitled to has been reduced due to my income, which is an Army Pension and a War Pension.
This is from the gov.uk website:

What you’ll get
How much ESA you get depends on:

• your circumstances, eg income
  • the type of ESA you qualify for
  • where you are in the assessment process
Thanks Engee,
Bit Gutted that the Comp/Pension backdate is going to get wiped out by the ESA. Thats Life i guess.. bummer.

engee

LE
Thanks Engee,
Bit Gutted that the Comp/Pension backdate is going to get wiped out by the ESA. Thats Life i guess.. bummer.
If you need any help, get on to British Legion or Citizen's Advice.

Fus2505

Old-Salt
Im going to Ring RBL tomorrow and Vetrans and see what is actually going to happen.
Read so much the last couple of days my head feels like its firmly inserted in my posterior.
Thanks for the Help its not been wasted.

engee

LE
Good to hear it's been of use. As for that feeling, get used to it, it can take a while to get to the other side of this shite.

Latest Threads