War Pension at 50 % , DLA and ESA

Scotsxxv

Swinger
Afternoon,

I am hoping you can please help I am looking for advice and guidance if possible?

I was injured during service and left with mobility issues and on a lot of pain medication, I was awarded 50 % pension and WPMS after years of fighting I have DLA I have not been able to work in any role due to physical limitations and being in pain.

I am still in pain and my issues are the same, but I have been offered a job working from home for 20 hours a week which I am amazed by I never thought I would be able to work again due to all my issues. I have been doing training online from home and applied for a job which I didn't think I would be offered.

I am really thinking about taking it but will this affect my pension and benefits as such, I dont want to be on benefits for ever and if I can work that Is great but I still have all my issues that I was awarded my war pension for I had to fight so hard for that.

Don't know about your pension, but great work on being able to pick yourself up and get a job - you haven't given up on life, which is really important to maintaining your health.

Hope your pension is sorted.

Scotsxxv

Swinger
thanks for the reply, I honestly thought I had nothing left, I have a family and I needed to get back up and try and make more of my life. Unfortunately though was only a realisation after hitting rock bottom.

Scotsxxv

Swinger
Thank You I do hope someone can offer some advice, I had to to fight so hard for my my pension and I still have the same issues I didn't think I would work again and this is great as I can work from home on my laptop.

Afternoon,

I am hoping you can please help I am looking for advice and guidance if possible?

I was injured during service and left with mobility issues and on a lot of pain medication, I was awarded 50 % pension and WPMS after years of fighting I have DLA I have not been able to work in any role due to physical limitations and being in pain.

I am still in pain and my issues are the same, but I have been offered a job working from home for 20 hours a week which I am amazed by I never thought I would be able to work again due to all my issues. I have been doing training online from home and applied for a job which I didn't think I would be offered.

I am really thinking about taking it but will this affect my pension and benefits as such, I dont want to be on benefits for ever and if I can work that Is great but I still have all my issues that I was awarded my war pension for I had to fight so hard for that.

It won’t affect your pension or WPMS.

It won’t directly affect your DLA, but you will eventually transition to PIP and they will ask you about work.

You will have to declare the work if you are claiming ESA. More info here

Out of interest what is the work?

Scotsxxv

Swinger
Thank you for the quick response. It's 12 hours a week and then the option to increase if I am able too. It's to design a training program on mental health.

Will I need to declare the 12 hours a week when I start

From what I read you can do up to 16hours per week before ot affects you, but you must declare it. In the link i posted above it mentions a form you need to complete. Alternatively call DWP.

Mosquito

Clanker
From what I read you can do up to 16hours per week before ot affects you, but you must declare it. In the link i posted above it mentions a form you need to complete. Alternatively call DWP.
The link Dingerr posted is the one to look at. Just watch out for the earnings cap as that's easy to fall foul of. I.e. if you take the maximum allowed hours of 16 hours/week and the maximum pay of £140 per week ("after tax" but if this is your only work and you don't have other investments then it will be after tax), then that works out at £8.75 per hour. The UK minimum wage is £8.72...

The link Dingerr posted is the one to look at. Just watch out for the earnings cap as that's easy to fall foul of. I.e. if you take the maximum allowed hours of 16 hours/week and the maximum pay of £140 per week ("after tax" but if this is your only work and you don't have other investments then it will be after tax), then that works out at £8.75 per hour. The UK minimum wage is £8.72...

Investments are fine, when I enquired I was told “you could have a million pounds in the bank and it would have no relevance”.

Mosquito

Clanker
Investments are fine, when I enquired I was told “you could have a million pounds in the bank and it would have no relevance”.
Great point dingerr. I should have been clearer and said "income from investments". If someone was earning £20,000 a year from that million in the bank then their tax return would require their 16 hours a week of work to be taxed at 20%. This would pushing the poster's maximum hourly wage under the national minimum wage. Cunning rule setting by the DWP methinks...

Great point dingerr. I should have been clearer and said "income from investments". If someone was earning £20,000 a year from that million in the bank then their tax return would require their 16 hours a week of work to be taxed at 20%. This would pushing the poster's maximum hourly wage under the national minimum wage. Cunning rule setting by the DWP methinks...

Don’t take an income, take an irregular tax free dividend.

Latest Threads