War, Peace and Whitehall

War, Peace and Whitehall

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
There are very few people who have commanded at every level from platoon to army group, particularly in the UK. Given that the current British Army would struggle to deploy a brigade it’s unlikely that there will be many more British Field Marshalls, let along any with the depth of experience of the author. On that basis alone this memoir is a piece of history.

As the author makes clear in the prologue, he never had an intention of writing a memoir and went on the record in 2000 as...

Click here to read the full review.....

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
Field MARSHAL
I blame word spellcheck, late night and no typing qualifications. I also mildly apologise.
Perhaps you could become the reviews copy editor?

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
I blame not checking before clicking submit
I have a appalling inability to spot spelling errors. Which is why I'm an author but not a copy editor. I may be mildly dyslexic.

Truxx

LE
Two notable things about Guthrie. One is definitely true, the other unsubstantiated but I believe it to be so.

One. He was a great advocate of the Border Terrier and enthusiastic Border Terrier owner

Two. He never drew his Army salary.

Two notable things about Guthrie. One is definitely true, the other unsubstantiated but I believe it to be so.

One. He was a great advocate of the Border Terrier and enthusiastic Border Terrier owner

In carrying out a study in the early 1990’s into Non Effective Budgets, (wasn’t I the lucky one) gave me access to the pay files of all members of the army. As part of the study I had to check as to whether anyone serving did not draw their pay, as far as I could tell all did so.

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
I am aware of at least two officer's who had their pay directed to the RBL or ABF. Neither of them was Guthrie, although I suspect there were a few more. Quite how that would show up in @06FA56Paderborn 's enthralling study eludes me...

Met him at a charity thing a few years ago, on my territory, that his wife was involved with.

The pomposity of his rank, but nice all the same.

I am aware of at least two officer's who had their pay directed to the RBL or ABF. Neither of them was Guthrie, although I suspect there were a few more. Quite how that would show up in @06FA56Paderborn 's enthralling study eludes me...
From memory all that was needed was a bank account to which the pay would be directed, whether that was to their benefit or not I could not tell.

Whilst you may have been one of the two:), I can assure you I was not the other, if only I was in that position to be so.

Latest Threads