War on Terror medal?

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by bigjarofwasps, Nov 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone confirm for me whether guys currently deployed on Op Iraqi Freedom, are entitled to the WOTM as well as the OIF medal? What about the other WOTM??? Are they entitled to any other medals for the same tour? Where does the National Defence Medal fit in???
  2. By this I mean National Guard soldiers!!
  3. Do you guys really do a year out there!!!!
  4. A Guardsman is entitled to several awards for an OIF tour.

National Defense Service is authorised for being on active duty in a time of conflict. The reason this is awarded in addition to other awards is that some people already have one, and they are thus entitled to a device indicating multiple receipt.

Global War on Terror: Prety much anyone in the military on active duty gets this one these days.

Reserve Components Achievement Medal w/ M Device for Mobilisation. Indicates that the soldier was called to active duty when he was a reservist. (To distinguish from those who were active duty only)

Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal. Awarded to anyone who served abroad as part of the GWOT. Generally means OIF/OEF, though I wouldn't be surprised of others count.

Iraq Campaign Medal: This may be worn instead of the GWOTEM. It indicates that the wearer spent the required amount of time in Iraq, as opposed to serving in OIF in a support role, such as in Kuwait. If the serviceman does a second tour, he may then wear the GWOTEM in addition to the ICM.

And yes, they really do a year on the ground, plus spin-up/demob time.

5. fck me, if you do a year out there you deserve every medal you can get!
  6. you guys just give them away dont you
  7. What happened was that DoD decided to create the GWOT-S and GWOT-EM. There was alot of unhappy troops so the brass created the Iraq Campaign Medal and Afghanistan Campaign Medal. No one can receive the Iraq Campaign Medal and the GWOT Expeditionary Medal for service in Iraq. It is one or the other. The Afghanistan Campaign Medal and Iraq Campaign Medal are ranked before the GWOT medals.
  8. That's per tour. you can receive both if you've gone twice.

I actually ran into one person who was authorised both for the same tour, in a bit of an administrative unique requirement. He basically got cross-attached to a USMC unit on a separate tour, so technically was there for two runs, and earned the right to wear both.

9. This is an excerpt from the reg:

"Service Members serving in the qualifying area of eligibility for which the ICM was subsequently authorized are no longer qualified to receive the GWOT-E after 30 April 2005."

But you would be correct that from 19 March 2003 to 30 April 2005 members can receive the GWOTE for service in Iraq.
  10. Cheers guys yet again you`ve been of great help.

11. 'A Guardsman is entitled to several awards for an OIF tour'. A great effort, no-one can deny but 'one Op, one medal' maintains the importance of the medal in the first place. The situation outlined by California_Tanker is pathetic and emphaises why the majority of professional armies laugh when they see a US chest full of ribbon!
  12. Believe it or not, there is actually some logic behind the multiple awards. (You'll be glad to know those for valour are not handed out like sweets)

I spent quite a bit of time thinking about 'redundancy' behind the American awards system, and believe it or not, I can't see any. The American point of view appears to be 'You wear your history on your chest'. So, if you get, say, a single Op Telic medal for the UK types, that would be, I assume, the exact same medal if you spent the time getting shot at in Iraq, or manning the personnel desk in Kuwait, no? Ergo, to know exactly what this chappie was up to, you would need to ask. On the other hand, you can tell just by looking at an American's rack exactly what his status was: For example, a mobilised reservist who was rear-detachment for an Iraq deployment would have a different rack from a mobilised reservist who spent his time in Kuwait, who would have a different set of ribbons from a mobilised reservist who spent his time in Iraq, who would have a different set of ribbons from a regular Army soldier who spent his time in Iraq. You can tell what unit he worked for. You can tell if he was engaged in a direct-fire fight. You can even tell, for example, if an NCO has been to the school for his next rank yet or not.

The trick is to know what ribbon on the salad bar represents what, so that you know what you're looking at. Basically, they come in three 'groups': Valour, meritorious service, and duties. The first 'group' you will see is Valour. Things like the DSC, Silver Star, Purple Heart, etc. Then you have 'Meritorious service', which you earn for being particularly good at your job: Army Commendation, Good Conduct, and so on. And finally, at the bottom, you have 'Duties', which basically you get for going places. When you know where one group stops and starts, it means you can either take a quick measure of someone if you feel so inclined, or you can spend some time studying the details if you have a need to.

It's pretty much a case of horses for courses, I guess. Personally, I've grown to like it. Its handy to know what the chap you're talking to has done. They've done away with branch insignia on the new combat uniforms, I spent five minutes last week talking to a Major about tanks thinking he was a tanker. All went right over his head. <sigh>

13. Memo to SECDEF:

Re: Cost-cutting measure

By the rationale explained above, there should be no need to award gongs to aircrew- you'll be told everything before you even need to ask. :D