war on democracy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by wheel, Aug 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did any one see tonights progam ?. John Pilger certainly shed some uncomfortable light on the United States foreign policies in Latin America. From their backing of Pinochets coup in Peru to the attempted overthrow of Chavez in Venezuela in 2002. I was in Venezuela a few months ago and whilst Chavez has his opponents the majority of the people seem to support him.
  2. Before anyone else says it - Pinochet's coup in Peru? Wasn't overthrowing one government enough for the man? :wink:

I always have a problem with Pilger in that I always have the feeling that Aubron Waugh (of all people) may have been close to the truth in inventing the verb 'to pilger', namely 'to present information in a sensationalist manner to reach a foregone conclusion'. Pilger does seem to get a trifle over-enthusiastic in some of material, and you do sometimes wonder (well, I do) about how careful he's been in his analysis.
  3. Sorry its been a long day
  4. There is one safeguard known generally to the wise, which is an advantage and security to all, but especially to democracies as against despots. What is it?

5. We'll have to see how folks in Venezuela feel in 5 years, when they realize that Chavez now controls the media and voting, and that he's good buddies with Kim Jong Il (I'm not defending all of America's actions in the region, I'm just saying...)
  6. There's more to this story than is out in the general public. I'll just say this; Think AQ/HEzbollah in South America.

7. Pilger is a bit of a tw*t and Chavez will prob turn out to be a demagogue etc etc

but there was a lot of evil stuff done during the cold war. By both sides.

Shouldn't pretend there wasn't imo.

edit: not having a pop at anyone btw. just saying
  8. Well said.
  9. Are they really going to say anything other than 'viva Chavez'? especially to a foreigner (assuming,of course,you're not Venezuelan)
  10. Ooo thank you very much 'In Limbo'.
    Who would credit such wisdom coming from a washing machine.
    I saw one of those Demosthenes in Currys but the wife wanted the Zannussi so we got that instead.
  11. Got a friend who's a South American expert. He's a bit of a soft leftie, votes Lib Dem etc, and he says that Chavez is a classic facist thug.

Saw a bit of Pilger hoping to get an insight into the region, turned off when I realised he was up to his old trick of situating the appreciation.
  12. chavez may be far from perfect but he was voted it and won another election
    which is more than the shaved chimp has managed :twisted:
    so far people aren't disappearing in Venezuela and theres no terrorist/ rebel faction on the go.
    amnesty gives Venezuela a fairly good report though they think Chavez is a proto tyrant in some ways better than our report .
    if the answer to chavez is a coup your asking the wrong question though might be intresting looking into the motives of who'd want a coup its certainly not in the intrest of the majoirty :evil:
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, AQ/Hezbollah in Venezuala, or naughty people just like them providing the septics with the reason for 'regime change'. Well, that's alright then. Just a good thing they've got no invisible WMD's isn't it!
  14. So was Saddam, the Ayatollah, and Hitler.