War office??

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by SSeeker, Nov 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys

Just doing a little research on my old man.

During the days of conscription my old man worked in the war office, do any forum members have any info on how or why people were recruited to the war office??

2. So he could answer the phone with those immortal words of “War Office,Wan’t a Fight” :D

The War Office was the name of the Army’s administration until the formation of Ministry of Defence on 1 April 1964. Much like now soldiers (more officers) where posted in to hold various posts

A very apt date if I may say so 8O

3. My father did his 2 years so I dought he was an officer.

4. A Tadge more information would possibly help :D

Regimental number, unit, dates served etc

5. I wish, I cannot find any info he passed away 2 years ago.

6. Then without being nasty I am afraid you are P*ssing into the wind, however you could start here

7. SSeeker,

There were indeed (and fact), National Service officers who served for a two year period. Do you have any photographs of him in uniform that you could post on here? There are plenty of us that help with insignia identification which may in turn throw up further information.

CAARPS, a small detail, the MoD actually came into existence in 1947 and ran alongside the War Office, the Admiralty and the Air Ministry until 1964 when it subsumed the latter three.

8. I wish I had some photos but his 3rd wife ( not my mother ) chucked everything out shortly after he passed away-such a caring wife!!!!!!!!

9. I wasn’t trying to give the OP a precise history lesson, more pointing out that one eventually became the other :wink: