War Memorials

Wandering around York on Saturday I happend across the York War Memorial. York is a new stomping ground for me.

Situated in a charming and, due to its proximity to the tourist trail, surprisingly very quiet park with views of the river and very close to the York Rowing Club to enable watching them launching and rowing etc. A lovely run/dog walk start point too.

To add a little more detail (I had to look at wiki) it was designed by Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens who of course designed The Cenotaph at Whitehall (that last bit I did know)!

9EC142CA-8E67-447C-B096-37FD1E8FDB0C.jpeg

Morning All,
Local 'Martyrs Memorial'. Set in a big, very well tended park, with plane and tank gate guardians.
Screenshot_20220628-165426_Photos.jpg

Inside the British Embassy, Kathmandu.
Screenshot_20220625-160252_Gallery.jpg

Old British Cemetery, next to British Embassy, Kathmandu.
Screenshot_20220625-160311_Gallery.jpg

Inside Old British Cemetery. Not a 'War Memorial' per se, it's the only CWGC grave in the place and someone obviously visits to leave crosses. Possibly Embassy staff.
Screenshot_20220625-160443_Gallery.jpg

CWGC Delhi.
Screenshot_20220629-145346_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220629-145836_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220629-145847_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220629-145420_Photos.jpg

Wandering around York on Saturday I happend across the York War Memorial. York is a new stomping ground for me.

Situated in a charming and, due to its proximity to the tourist trail, surprisingly very quiet park with views of the river and very close to the York Rowing Club to enable watching them launching and rowing etc. A lovely run/dog walk start point too.

To add a little more detail (I had to look at wiki) it was designed by Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens who of course designed The Cenotaph at Whitehall (that last bit I did know)!

View attachment 673386
If you're ever in York again, take a look a short distance from the main doors of York Minster, for the memorial to those who served in S Africa.

It's often said that WW1 was the first British war in which every man that died was memorialised, but - from what I've seen dotted about the 4 quarters of the kingdom of England - the pattern manifested itself for the Boer War (for which the diminutive Regular Army was too small to be decisive . . . . same as it is today with a closet gay tyrant's Orc rabble on the loose in Easter Europe) in which Britain was only victorious because of the number of volunteer units deployed there, raised by voluntary public subscription, and often better dressed, mounted and accoutred than were their Regular Army counterparts.

Morning All,
Local 'Martyrs Memorial'. Set in a big, very well tended park, with plane and tank gate guardians.
View attachment 673701

Inside the British Embassy, Kathmandu.
View attachment 673702
Old British Cemetery, next to British Embassy, Kathmandu.
View attachment 673704
Inside Old British Cemetery. Not a 'War Memorial' per se, it's the only CWGC grave in the place and someone obviously visits to leave crosses. Possibly Embassy staff.

It'll be the broken hearted women, who tends the grave of Mad Carew, (to the north of Kathmandu)

For all his foolish pranks, he was worshipped in the ranks . . .

Last edited:
I won't go 'full gammon' on this.

Just hope that the memorial will be fixed in a manner that will negate this happening again:

ETA - I also hope that the scum who did this get ‘fixed in a manner that will negate this happening again’.

Last edited:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I won't go 'full gammon' on this.

Just hope that the memorial will be fixed in a manner that will negate this happening again:

ETA - I also hope that the scum who did this get ‘fixed in a manner that will negate this happening again’.

Personally I wouldn't call it 'vandalism'.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Spotted this one while out on my travels today.

“In memory of the troopers of the Blands Regiment who lie here. Killed on Clifton Moor 1745. Presented by the Queen’s Royal Hussars 2004.”

We have 12 jocks from the other side buried in the car park of our pub about a mile away.

Interestingly, the wife is directly descended from both sides, having a pair of 4 or 5x great grandfathers who fought against each other.

ABE0316F-547F-4FCD-A143-539606ED70B4.jpeg

Last edited:

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron RAuxAF. Edinburgh Airport.

Attachments

• IMG_20220813_162520.jpg
    IMG_20220813_162520.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220813_162552.jpg
    IMG_20220813_162552.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11

Latest Threads