War Memorials

ugly

LE
I’m truly spoiled as my family were Canadians and almost all of their service records are available online free

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
This may have been covered before, I have not visited since I was a small child, with my Father, and my Uncle who was still serving, so a looong time ago
visited recently with a friend, and it surprised us both, just like the sort of building you would see on the Somme
over 20 thousand names here who have no know grave
and if you go onto the roof, you can see Windsor Castle, Wembley, The Shard, The River Thames, and nearby is the location of the Magna Carta signing, the Kennedy memorial , which some nut blew up in the 60s, and not far away the site of the last fatal duel in the UK
best bit, the car park by the gate is free
it was nice to visit it on a weekday afternoon, last time it was packed with blue uniforms ( I wish I could have taken a picture then )

just off junction 13 M25

001-IMG_3346.JPG
002-IMG_3347.JPG
003-IMG_3348.JPG
004-IMG_3349.JPG
005-IMG_3350.JPG
010-IMG_3355.JPG
013-IMG_3358.JPG
018-IMG_3364.JPG
030-IMG_3379.JPG

The loss of most of the First War soldiers records during the Second world war was a tragedy for familly historians. I would have loved to see my grandfathers record of service but it is one of the lost. My great uncles records are amongst the ones that survived (burnt) he was killed in March 1918.
Worth looking for pensions records from WW1 - and FFS bin Ancestry in favour of Find My Past to do any research. I found a full service record (incl previous Reg service in another Regiment, Court Martial followed by discharge, re-enlistment for WW1, missing declared KIA in March 1918, but actually crippled while working in a mine, and repatriated in 1919 - the year of his death) for one of 'ours'.

None of the above showed up in Ancestry - FFS Ancestry's shiite OCR renders every instance of handwritten "rd" in an address as "road"

My little town has a long, populous and ancient residential street named "Stratford Road"

Searches on Ancestry using that street name invariably returned fvck all.

Searches on Ancestry using the bastardised street name StratfoROAD Road, were more productive . . . . but on FMP, they get the spelling right, and it's just a whole lot more efficient and productive.

StratfoROAD Road FFS!!! Why o why would you want to pay a premium subscription for a service as dire as that?

OVD

Swinger
Sitting at the side of a quiet country road - now on the edge of a private garden - the former Kirk having been long sold off - the Culvie Parish Memorial - near Banff in Aberdeenshire ..
7540FA54-A3CC-4839-8B35-61A7EE4F5ADF.jpeg

This may have been covered before, I have not visited since I was a small child, with my Father, and my Uncle who was still serving, so a looong time ago
visited recently with a friend, and it surprised us both, just like the sort of building you would see on the Somme
over 20 thousand names here who have no know grave
and if you go onto the roof, you can see Windsor Castle, Wembley, The Shard, The River Thames, and nearby is the location of the Magna Carta signing, the Kennedy memorial , which some nut blew up in the 60s, and not far away the site of the last fatal duel in the UK
best bit, the car park by the gate is free
it was nice to visit it on a weekday afternoon, last time it was packed with blue uniforms ( I wish I could have taken a picture then )

just off junction 13 M25

View attachment 665645View attachment 665646View attachment 665647View attachment 665648View attachment 665649View attachment 665650View attachment 665651View attachment 665652View attachment 665653
It is very, very beautiful. I've been there but once, on a lovely summer's day, and looking down towards the river found I was looking down on a bird of prey gracefully on the hunt.

An oddly fitting sight, I thought, somehow.

OVD

Swinger
Something a little different the Women’s Land Army Scotland Memorial, Clochan near Buckie on the Moray Coast ... really very well done memorial in the middle of farmland where the girls would’ve worked ..
E9E9DBC3-B56E-456F-844E-B059EEC9387A.jpeg
4BD7A2AB-698E-4F8B-AE2A-87108D8930C0.jpeg

REMEwalt

Clanker
Here is an unusual war memorial in Ruyton XI Towns in Shropshire, carved into a sandstone cliff. 1914-1919 can just be made out, engraved above the arch.

Attachments

• IMG_0871.jpeg
    IMG_0871.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0868.jpeg
    IMG_0868.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0870.jpeg
    IMG_0870.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Possibly a bit of haggling over who owns it. It is within the grounds of a church, so maybe their responsibility, and should have been insured.

Having read the Cheshire Live page, somebody needs to tell the Mayor and the journos what a "cenotaph" is.
The damaged Ellesmere Port war memorial isn't a cenotaph.
The Christ church memorial has always been known as a cenotaph unlike the new one in the town centre the old one always has the first service

When it was built. BL. Now RBL we don't have a council as such. Chester does all the work. Have been in touch with the mayor. (Answer phone) no answer yet

OVD

Swinger
Portsoy on the North Aberdeenshire coast has its memorial bang in the middle of the Village ... a beautiful statue of a Highlander in WW1... most likely a Gordon given they were the local Regt and the names on our memorials have lists of names with G.Highlanders after them.

Attachments

• 748ED368-FA85-4CE3-929E-7800555B04B8.jpeg
    748ED368-FA85-4CE3-929E-7800555B04B8.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 13
Always liked this one, in Maxwelltown, KOSB country.

1654565035160.png

Seems like a desperate, unarmed, despairing man crying out to the heavens, "Why the Holy *** do you allow all this ?"