War Memorials

A slightly different one from abroad, a memorial garden directly on the coast of Jutland where the naval battle took place in 1916.
Probably where a lot of boys got washed up days and weeks later, up and down this coast.
Very different, but still respectful and tastefully designed.
Each large stone, and there are a lot, bears the name of a ship lost with lives taken away too.
Very sobering and a time for sombre reflection.

The small white statues alongside represent the number of lives lost from each ship, quite spooky and sobering really.

The second photo is of the stone representing HMS Black Prince which went down with all hands apparently.

1631112930852_IMG_2926.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

A slightly different one from abroad, a memorial garden directly on the coast of Jutland where the naval battle took place in 1916.
Probably where a lot of boys got washed up days and weeks later, up and down this coast.
Very different, but still respectful and tastefully designed.
Each large stone, and there are a lot, bears the name of a ship lost with lives taken away too.
Very sobering and a time for sombre reflection.

The small white statues alongside represent the number of lives lost from each ship, quite spooky and sobering really.

The second photo is of the stone representing HMS Black Prince which went down with all hands apparently.

View attachment 602635

View attachment 602633
German losses are commemorated too

German losses are commemorated too
An important point. Indeed, the memorial was opened by Admiral Jellicoe's grandson, Nicolas Jellicoe, and by Vice Admiral Reinhard Scheer's great-grandson, Reinhard Scheer.

There is a small museum nearby where the battle ensign of Jellicoe senior is displayed, it is on loan from the family.
From his flagship of the time HMS Iron Duke.
Although Denmark was neutral then, it was a surprise to learn that over a thousand Danish sailors died due to mines laid by both sides, and how many CWGC sites there are in some very isolated places from WW1.

People here will know about this one but I just learned of it. Market Garden Memorial at Paulton in Somerset. On 17th September 1944 a Horsa Glider towed by an RAF Keevil Stirling came apart or exploded - nobody seems to be sure. The tail fell on the road and the front section fell in a field. The men in gliders were not issued with parachutes and I am unsure whether, at the time of the disaster, the Stirling/Horsa was flying high enough for them to have been deployed. There were no survivors.
8944201206175311.jpg
Enhanced Double Hills Memorial, Dec 2009.jpg
Paulton Double Hills Memorial.jpg

Last edited:
Oosterbeek.
Arnhem J.jpg
Arnhem Defiance.jpg
Wallpaper preserved in Hartenstein Hotel Museum. Defiance Airborne style.

Oosterbeek. Last time I was there, the most memorable sight was the smallest meanest floral tribute from 3 Para. It looked like it had been bought in a Poundshop sale. It was insignificant compared to the other tributes from the great and the good. But those words reduced me to tears;

'From Brothers who visit in memory of Brothers who remain'.
Arnhem Stone of Remembrance.JPG

Last edited:
The Reason Why
Arnhem The reason why.jpg

F*ck the Gerry's ....what? Unnecessary apostrophe.

(signed)

Grammar Nazis
I think the author may have been under a bit of pressure at the time of writing

Yes, perhaps he was unable to finish the sentence.
Yes. When you are trying to defend a compromised perimeter and a Tiger tank crushes your fox hole and all you have is a rifle
Baskeyfield3.jpg
Baskeyfield2.jpg
, life can be a bit of a bitch. Jack Baskeyfield knew how to tame a Tiger though.

Last edited:
Jack's Tree.jpeg

Jack's Tree

Latest Threads