War Memorials

daz

LE
Glasgow War Memorial

P1090590sw.jpg
P1090591sw.jpg
P1090593sw.jpg
P1090594sw.jpg

Near the entrance to Kranji War Cemetery is a grave set apart from the others.
Mr Tan tended the War Cemetery for over 20 years and was allowed to be buried
there, his military headstone bearing the badge of the CWGC.
The interesting story and detail of the history of the cemetery is on this link;

Kranji War Cemetery

Near the entrance to Kranji War Cemetery is a grave set apart from the others.
Mr Tan tended the War Cemetery for over 20 years and was allowed to be buried
there, his military headstone bearing the badge of the CWGC.
The interesting story and detail of the history of the cemetery is on this link;

Kranji War Cemetery
Lovely touch. I found a number of CWGC staff in one of the Ypres cemeteries, this one was just up from the Menin Gate.

Attachments

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
There is a book called 'Fields of Stone'. Written by a Frenchman it' describes how the Germans during their occupation of France and Belgium during WW2 left the CWGC staff alone, to get on with their work.

Is it true that Hitler had a man shot for peeing on 1ww memorial

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Some one on site, maybe even this thread, said that Hitler wanted no war grave desecration and that there was dciplinaries.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
On the wooden wall of the Chapel at Changi Prison Singapore, a chapel built by the POWs and now preserved.
On the wall there were many messages handwritten from former POWs and their relatives. I read the following message that brought quite a lump to my throat. It was written by a former Australian POW.
" I stand here today to fulfill a promise to my old mate Bill. Bill died in this prison one day before the war ended. We had nursed him for weeks but to no avail, I promised Bill that I would come back to pay homage to him, and the many others that suffered and died here. God bless you Bill. God bless us all!"
Quite a memorial! I saw it about the year 2003.

If so maybe that's a precedent we should follow!
That actual story appears to be apocryphal. The German attitude towards Allied war memorials seems to be a bit of a mixed bag - with some reverence and some destruction of memorials. (According to greatwarforum anyway)

However, courts in Europe do seem to dish out hefty fines to people caught pissing on war memorials.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
That actual story appears to be apocryphal. The German attitude towards Allied war memorials seems to be a bit of a mixed bag - with some reverence and some destruction of memorials. (According to greatwarforum anyway)

However, courts in Europe do seem to dish out hefty fines to people caught pissing on war memorials.
During WW2 the German fighter pilots did indeed 'Beat up' the Menin Gate in passing overhead. It needed a lot of restuaration after the war. The Gate is in fact a memorial to the hundreds of thousands that passed through it between 1914 and 1918 and contain the names of 54,000 that died in the Salient and have no known grave.

Last edited:

daz

LE
Elsrickle, in South Lanarkshire
elsrickle war memorial (1).jpg

elsrickle war memorial (2).jpg

daz

LE
Traquair, War Memorial Canmore

P1090407os.jpg

P1090411os.jpg

P1090414os.jpg

P1090416os.jpg

ABNredleg

War Hero
During WW2 the German fighter pilots did indeed 'Beat up' the Menin Gate in passing overhead. It needed a lot of restuaration after the war. The Gate is in fact a memorial to the hundreds of thousands that passed through it between 1914 and 1918 and contain the names of 54,000 that died in the Salient and have no known grave.
Have you been there when the band march down? it is truely humbling sight and next day go to Tynecott cemetery and iff it does not bring a tear to your eye from one or both you need to get your moral compass reset

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Alyth War Memorial. There is a Great War Memorial and a WW2 Wall that also includes a Falklands sailor. There is also a memorial to Alfred Anderson who was Scotland’s last Great War veteran.

Attachments

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Interesting that they went for names by rank rather than the more egalitarian alphabetical order used on many memorials.
The Great War and earlier are usually by rank and often broken down to service and corps. Some WW2 are by the more egalitarian alphabetical order. Some of them don't include rank at all although they usually have post nominals so you get a scattering of MMs, DSOs, AFC etc

There's a family memorial inner local cemetery with an inscription for a scion of the family who fell in the Great War. its full number rank name, regiment which is slightly incongruous alongside aunty Mabel and cousin Billy. The earliest name is 1898 and the most recent in the 1950's. This is a large victorian monstrosity and he was a private.

Latest Threads