War Memorials

@daz A bit of a coincidence up the page. St Mary's church in Bristol has a WW1 flag to 1/5/Gloucesters, the City of Bristol battalion. In WW2 the battalion became 43rd Recce Regiment in 43rd (Wessex) Division. Whilst landing after D-Day they lost most of a squadron when their ship was mined off the beaches. It was replaced by a squadron of Green Howards from 161st Recce, probably complete with interpreters.

Distilled

Swinger
The memorial, loving tended by the residents of Geetbets, Belgium, to the crew of Sterling BF530 from 149 Squadron Royal Air Force. One of the crew was P/O Lewis William Curtis, my wifes' Great Great Uncle.

Crew were P/O Cozens DFM, Sgt Hathaway, Sgt Hodkinson, F/O Redman DFC, F/O Needham, Flt Sgt Hodge, P/O Curtis, Sgt Williams.

Together with my wife and our children we were privileged to visit the site a couple of years ago, and to meet the people who keep the memory alive.

Surprisingly, a Polish manned Wellington came down the other side of the lane just a year before, and this also has a memorial equally well tended.

Geetbets Memorial.png
2017-02-26 19.08.42.jpg

daz

LE
@daz A bit of a coincidence up the page. St Mary's church in Bristol has a WW1 flag to 1/5/Gloucesters, the City of Bristol battalion. In WW2 the battalion became 43rd Recce Regiment in 43rd (Wessex) Division. Whilst landing after D-Day they lost most of a squadron when their ship was mined off the beaches. It was replaced by a squadron of Green Howards from 161st Recce, probably complete with interpreters.
Is that the one on Colston Ave ? or one of the other ones in Bristol??

And thanks for the info BTW

daz

LE
Chirk War Memorial

The Chirk War Memorial commemorates those local people who died in two world wars. The small border town of Chirk (Welsh: Y Waun) lies in the County Borough of Wrexham. ... The war memorial stands on the A5 trunk-road in the centre of the town at the junction of Station Avenue with Church Street.

Chirk War Memorial (1) (Custom).jpg

Chirk War Memorial (2) (Custom).jpg

Chirk War Memorial (3) (Custom).jpg

Chirk War Memorial (4) (Custom).jpg

Chirk War Memorial (5) (Custom).jpg

Chirk War Memorial (5)_edited (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
On a random wall in Oswestry

Oswestry Wall (Custom).jpg

@daz St Mary de Crypt, as your post on p60.

I think the wall above is on the road out to Offa's dyke?

daz

LE
Aldsworth War Memorial

Aldsworth (2) (Custom).jpg

Aldsworth (3) (Custom).jpg

Aldsworth (4) (Custom).jpg

Aldsworth (5) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
Aldsworth Crash site memorial and field

Aldsworth (6) (Custom).jpg

Aldsworth (7) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
Llanbadarn Fynydd And Llanano Men War Memorial

Description: Wheel cross

Materials:Stone Stone (any)

Lettering:Leaded

Conflicts:
First World War (1914-1918)
Second World War (1939-1945)

About the memorial:
BASE SURMOUNTED BY PLINTH, TAPERING SHAFT AND WHEEL CROSS. INSCRIPTION IN LEAD LETTERING ON THE FRONT FACE OF THE PLINTH. SWORD OF SACRIFICE CARVED ON THE FACE OF THE CROSS

Llanbadarn Fynydd And Llanano Men (1) (Custom).jpg

Llanbadarn Fynydd And Llanano Men (2) (Custom).jpg

Llanbadarn Fynydd And Llanano Men (3) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
Chester Cathedral - 22nd Cheshire Regt Garden of Remembrance

Conflicts: Second World War (1939-1945)

About the memorial: MEMORIAL PLINTH WITH INSCRIPTION ON IT AND GARDEN OF REMEMBRANCE. GATES AT THE ENTRANCE TO THE GARDEN WITH INSCRIPTION IN GOLD LETTERING ON EITHER SIDE REGIMENTAL CRESTS ON EACH FACE OF THE PLINTH AND ALSO ON THE STONE GATE POSTS (cIWM 9893

Chester Cathedral - Garden of Remembrance (1).jpg

Chester Cathedral - Garden of Remembrance (2).jpg

IMG_20190908_143340_edited_edited.jpg

Chester Cathedral - Garden of Remembrance (4).jpg

Chester Cathedral - Garden of Remembrance (5).jpg

ABNredleg

Old-Salt
Bowie1.jpg

Bowie2.jpg

I seem to recall that the Field Marshal who launched the original monument, was either assassinated or dropped dead on his way home.

I find the kindertransport memorial just a few yards away outside the station is quite moving, including the inscription..

There is also the pendant to this outside Bahnhof Friedrichstraße, the departure point for many of the children.

IMG_0846.JPG

As one can see, there are two groups of children. Those heading West with the chance of survival.

IMG_0847.JPG

Those heading East to the ghettos and the killing grounds of the Holocaust.

IMG_0848.JPG

The sculptor, Frank Meisler, made the journey as a ten year old. Three days later his parents were deported to the Warsaw ghetto, subsequently being transported to Auschwitz

Last edited:
Cullompton, Devon, last week.

Driving around I saw a sign that said CWGC Graveyard. Went in and had a look but could not see any standard Portland headstones or memorial, which seemed odd.

Walking around I noticed this grave, partly because part of the tribute had fallen over, presumably in the previous nights/weeks thunderstorm(s).
View attachment 411757

The angel had fallen over so I put it back (it was pretty obvious where it went).
View attachment 411758

As this is relatively recent, he may be known to members here and he is clearly very much missed I will remove this if anyone thinks it is inappropriate or disrespectful.

There is a child and baby section in this graveyard. You would need to be made of lead not to get a lump in the throat looking at some of the graves and the tributes.
Hard isn’t it?
My job is to fix headstones and plaques and I do often let my mind wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was working in Leeds few weeks back and by absolute surprise found this gentleman’s resting place.
Read up on his VC citation, pretty ballsy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daz

LE

daz

LE
Church of St Mary, Beverston

Just inside the entrance

Church of St Mary, Beverston (4).jpg

Church of St Mary, Beverston (5).jpg

On the walls in the Church

Church of St Mary, Beverston (8).jpg

Church of St Mary, Beverston (15).jpg