War Memorials

Wakefield Cathedral, yesterday.

This bloke was probably a bit of a warry hardnut. Followed the Iron Duke around Europe and then did 25 years as a screw in Wakefield nick. Is this the oldest one here? It is set in the ground.
45B818F8-D819-4D06-8C02-AE539A2014C7.jpeg

Never even heard of this outfit:
F21CD720-D109-4D3E-AAAF-2B3195971473.jpeg

There was a chav dosser sat in front of this smoking a fag. In a fackin Cathedral. Words were exchanged.

daz

LE

This bloke was probably a bit of a warry hardnut. Followed the Iron Duke around Europe and then did 25 years as a screw in Wakefield nick. Is this the oldest one here? It is set in the ground.
View attachment 414891

Never even heard of this outfit:
View attachment 414890

There was a chav dosser sat in front of this smoking a fag. In a fackin Cathedral. Words were exchanged.
Well, this gent was born in 1777 https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/war-memorials.265761/post-9484841 He's a little bit older......and got about a far bit

49th Recce Regiment, spearhead for the 49th (West Riding) Division at Kampen, Netherlands, just before VE Day.

As with other infantry recce regiments it used a mix of carriers, Humber armoured cars, light recce cars (slowly replaced by more armoured cars) and halftracks.

daz

LE
St Mary de Crypt, Gloucester

St Mary de Crypt, Gloucester (2) (Custom).jpg

St Mary de Crypt, Gloucester (13) (Custom).jpg

St Mary de Crypt, Gloucester (15) (Custom).jpg

St Mary de Crypt, Gloucester (16) (Custom).jpg

St Mary de Crypt, Gloucester (17) (Custom).jpg

St Mary de Crypt, Gloucester (18) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
Llandrindod Wells War Memorial and Park

Llandrindod Wells War Memorial (1) (Custom).jpg

Llandrindod Wells War Memorial (2) (Custom).jpg

Llandrindod Wells War Memorial (3) (Custom).jpg

Llandrindod Wells War Memorial (4) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
Llandrindod Wells War Memorial (5) (Custom).jpg

Llandrindod Wells War Memorial (6) (Custom).jpg

Llandrindod Wells War Memorial (7) (Custom).jpg

Llandrindod Wells War Memorial (8) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE

Llandrindod Wells War Memorial (9) (Custom).jpg

Llandrindod Wells War Memorial (10) (Custom).jpg

Llandrindod Wells War Memorial (11) (Custom).jpg

Llandrindod Wells War Memorial (12) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
Re your fourth picture of the arch.

I took this in Wakefield Cathedral on Monday:
View attachment 415304

Masonry work above the keystone by @MrBane methinks.

I guess it was originally rendered as in your picture. It was certainly painted and you can still see the remains of a chicken angel a two o’clock.
Quite a good chance it was rendered and painted when it was constructed, on the wall on the other side of the banner in St Mary de Crypt, there's a section of rendered wall where the original painting on the plaster is still just about visible

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
In Shrewsbury doing a recce for tomorrow's reunion, found this baby oak tree. A rather lovely memorial to the ending of hostilities in 1918.
20190906_153622.jpg
20190906_153608_resized.jpg

daz

LE
Holy Trinity Church, Bradford-on-Avon Memorials

On the outside of the Church, hidden by a bush

Holy Trinity Church Bradford-on-Avon (5) (Custom).jpg

Holy Trinity Church Bradford-on-Avon (6) (Custom).jpg

Holy Trinity Church Bradford-on-Avon (7) (Custom).jpg

Holy Trinity Church Bradford-on-Avon (8) (Custom).jpg

Tucked inside the main entrance of the Church.
Holy Trinity Church Bradford-on-Avon (36) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
Bradford-on-Avon War Memorial

Bradford-on-Avon War Memorial (1) (Custom).jpg

Bradford-on-Avon War Memorial (2) (Custom).jpg

Bradford-on-Avon War Memorial (3) (Custom).jpg

Bradford-on-Avon War Memorial (4) (Custom).jpg

Bradford-on-Avon War Memorial (5) (Custom).jpg

Bradford-on-Avon War Memorial (6) (Custom).jpg

Handlebarbleep

Old-Salt

View attachment 414891
There was a Private William Parker in Captain Richard Storer’s Company of 51st (West Riding) Regiment if Light Infantry. There was another in Captain Edward Kelly’s Company too. None appears from that regiment to have been awarded an MGS Medal in 1847, but as it had to be claimed, he might not of done so.

Of course, regional links were not as strong then, and it could be another William Parker from a different regiment or corps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a Private William Parker in Captain Richard Storer’s Company of 51st (West Riding) Regiment if Light Infantry. There was another in Captain Edward Kelly’s Company too. None appears from that regiment to have been awarded an MGS Medal in 1847, but as it had to be claimed, he might not of done so.

Of course, regional links were not as strong then, and it could be another William Parker from a different regiment or corps.

I will go for the first one as being a very likely candidate, based on the deceased coming from the West Riding.

Were regional links more tenuous back then? I always got the impression that the local links/county regiment associations were much stronger in those days, especially before the arrival of the railways.

Handlebarbleep

Old-Salt
I will go for the first one as being a very likely candidate, based on the deceased coming from the West Riding.

Were regional links more tenuous back then? I always got the impression that the local links/county regiment associations were much stronger in those days, especially before the arrival of the railways.
Outside of the highland regiments, or those raised from specifically from drafts from militia or fencible units, mainly the exact opposite during the Napoleonic wars. Most of the territorial links we know today originated in the Cardwell reforms of 1881.

Units spent long periods abroad, or garrisoning Ireland or other areas of Britain. Recruiting parties would go out where recruits were likely, hence the large portions of Irish in most regiments. It therefore varied quite a bit. The 73rd were nominally a Scottish regiment for example, but had a number of out of work Nottinghamshire frame knitters thanks to a period in barracks in Nottingham. With the pressure in maintaining numbers on campaign or in the tropics, units were just not that picky.

I’ve been caught out a few times assuming that someone belonged to the ‘county’ regiment. Soldiers often returned to their home parish though, but that is because of how poor relief worked. On discharge soldiers were paid ‘marching money’ on a mileage basis.

As William was notable enough to get a tablet in the Cathedral, he probably got an obituary in the local newspaper. If anyone is close to Wakefield’s library or local records office, they might be able to find out a little more.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dingerr The NAAFI Bar 145
tazmanian_clogdancer Military History and Militaria 41
2/51 Military History and Militaria 113

Latest Threads