War Memorials

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Stayed at the Poachers Inn last year during a trip to Bovvy, hopefully, next time I head down there it will be during daylight
Nice pub. You could also try the Brace of Pheasants at Plush. It's lush. ;-)

daz

LE
Nice pub. You could also try the Brace of Pheasants at Plush. It's lush. ;-)
Poolside room out of season, lovely and relaxing..... apart from needing a head torch if you ventured outside :)

Might try the Brace of Pheasant next time

Chanced upon this memorial on a walk around the outside of Brussels Midi station, waiting for a Eurostar connection.

The figure I thought was quite symbolic, the pierrot's costume and the theatrical mask clutching the sword and wreath of immortalles,

I had assumed that it was dedicated to the acting profession killed in both wars. but it seems it is a memorial to travelling players (as, I suppose, in fairgrounds). Google's Flemish translating is sparse !

ActorsBSL2.JPG

ActorsBSL.png

ctorsBSL5.jpg

daz

LE
All Saints' Church & War Memorial, Nunney

History

The war memorial at Nunney was erected on 25 July 1920 to commemorate the men of the parish of Nunney who lost their lives while serving their country in the First World War. A further stone was later added to the base of the memorial detailing the names of the two men from the parish who lost their lives during the Second World War.

All Saints' Church & War Memorial, Nunney (1) (Custom).jpg

All Saints' Church & War Memorial, Nunney (2) (Custom).jpg

All Saints' Church & War Memorial, Nunney (3) (Custom).jpg

All Saints' Church & War Memorial, Nunney (4) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
All Saints' Church & War Memorial, Nunney (6) (Custom).jpg

All Saints' Church & War Memorial, Nunney (7) (Custom).jpg

All Saints' Church & War Memorial, Nunney (8) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
Equestrian statue of Viscount Combermere in Chester

Cenotaph equestrian statue and plinth of Stapleton Cotton Viscount Combermere. 1865. By Baron C Marochetti. Bronze statue on granite plinth. The Viscount in field marshal's uniform on horse at rest but alert with one hoof raised. The south-west end of the plinth is inscribed ERECTED IN HONOUR OF STAPLETON COTTON VISCOUNT COMBERMERE FIELD MARSHAL and the north east end BORN. 1773. DIED. 1865. The south east side is inscribed FLANDERS. LINCELLES. THE DOURO. TALAVERA. TORRES VEDRAS, BUSAGO. VILLA GARCIA. LLERENA. CASTRAJON. CUIDAD RODRIGO. ELBODON. THE PYRENEES. ORTHES. TOULOUSE and the north west side CAPE OF GOOD HOPE. MALLAVELLY. SERINGAPATAM. WEST INDIES. BHURTPORE

Equestrian statue of Viscount Combermere (1) (Custom).jpg

Equestrian statue of Viscount Combermere (2) (Custom).jpg

Equestrian statue of Viscount Combermere (3) (Custom).jpg

Equestrian statue of Viscount Combermere (4) (Custom).jpg

Equestrian statue of Viscount Combermere (5) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
Wilfred Owen Memorial of Oswestry

Wilfred Owen Memorial (1).jpg

Wilfred Owen Memorial (2).jpg

Wilfred Owen Memorial (3).jpg

This is a memorial plaque from the shell of a church that is maintained as a war memorial. I passed it when taking a short cut through the back-doubles in Hannover, a year or so ago.
It reads;
War and catastrophe claimed the live of many inhabitants of our city, at the front and at home.
In 1914-1918 12,628 died
In 1939-1945;
11,360 fell [at the front]
7,000 were killed and 6,700 were missing in the bombing.
Countless numbers died in camps, in prisons and whilst fleeing [as refugees]

+
Hanover2sm.jpg

Our Dead
Hanover3sm.jpg

External photo (below) from Wiki
Hanover1.png

Attachments

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
These from the bombed Baltic Exchange, restored and installed in the Royal Naval Museum at Greenwich. Beautiful job.

Attachments

Coleford, Forest of Dean
Bugger, I drove through there a few weeks back and didn't see it. Mind you, I was too busy looking for people with less than two heads and three arms.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dingerr The NAAFI Bar 145
tazmanian_clogdancer Military History and Militaria 41
2/51 Military History and Militaria 113

Latest Threads